Lethal mix of rain, slippery roads and speed: 65 dead on Thai roads on Monday

webfact

Lethal mix of rain, slippery roads and speed: 65 dead on Thai roads on Monday

7pm1.jpg

In their continuing campaign to highlight the carnage on Thailand's roads Daily News said that 65 died "at the scene" on Monday. 

Quoting police at an accident in Ban Chang, Rayong they said that rain, slippery roads and speed were making driving conditions hazardous. 

In the central/eastern town a four door pick-up with Bangkok plates on Sukhumvit road bound for Ban Chang from Sattahip hit a power pole. 

One died and five were injured. Police said they had been on a night out. 

The latest deaths brought the total for August to 991 and the total for the year to date to 9,658.

7pm2.jpg

Daily News caution that these statistic are just for those dead at the scene of accidents. 

In reality the figures are far higher, notes Thaivisa, with many safety advocates and even government figures suggesting the figure is about 25,000 per year - or an average of more than 2,000 deaths a month. 

If this death toll continues a million people will be killed in Thailand before 2060. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-27

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always the rain, the slippery roads, Dog S++t on the road, the wind, the wrong kind of leaves or any other excuse to cover up the real cause of most accidents....lousy driving.    They just don't understand that you have to drive to the conditions at any given time, not just continue with foot right through the floor every time they get in the driving seat !

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

In the central/eastern town a four door pick-up with Bangkok plates on Sukhumvit road bound for Ban Chang from Sattahip hit a power pole. 

Seems to me they should ban ALL stationary objects 10m away from ALL roads - though I'm sure Thai drivers would still drive out of their way to hit one !

If the number of people killed on the roads,had of been killed in plane

crashes,there would have been multiple investigations,something would

have been done to prevent more crashes,but on the roads its business as usual

regards Worgeordie.

32 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And the best thing they've come up with is the point-system....it's just mind-boggling. 

Introducing a real driving test just seems beyond them for some reason, maybe they just do not really care enough?

42 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And the best thing they've come up with is the point-system....it's just mind-boggling. 

A points system that allows for multipule drink driving offences until your licence is suspended for 3 months. Alice in wonderland comes to mind.

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

It's always the rain, the slippery roads, Dog S++t on the road, the wind, the wrong kind of leaves or any other excuse to cover up the real cause of most accidents....lousy driving. They just don't understand that you have to drive to the conditions at any given time, not just continue with foot right through the floor every time they get in the driving seat !

To be honest, it's not generally the conditions that cause most of the problems so much as the drivers - as soon as rain falls, they just go crazy - blocking up roads, pushing into junctions, and generally behaving like buffalo in blindfolds on the rampage.

There's a staggered junction near my home that's often blocked up with about 8 cars - and the roads beyond it are clear. They can cause gridlock anywhere - even in the 7-11 carpark.

A great number of the fatal accidents are idiots on bikes trying to hurry up because they don't like riding in the rain and can't see properly because they don't have a visor.

I am back in England right now and the difference on the roads is amazing. People drive sensibly, show courtesy towards other road users, and give way to each other, with an acknowledgement of each others actions mutually acknowledged. Thailand however is just a frenzied chaos, with no manners, no respect for other road users, selfish behaviour to carve up other vehicles to save three seconds, and no enforcement of law. 

Trying to see Thailand bridge the gap between the right way to drive safely, with the stupidity, recklessness and rudeness we have currently, is a very tall order. Put simply, they haven't got the first clue, and the carnage is going to continue for a very long time to come.

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

It's always the rain, the slippery roads, Dog S++t on the road, the wind, the wrong kind of leaves or any other excuse to cover up the real cause of most accidents....lousy driving.    They just don't understand that you have to drive to the conditions at any given time, not just continue with foot right through the floor every time they get in the driving seat !

Any experienced driver knows the roads are going to be slippery after rain.  Be thankful that it doesn't snow.

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

The headline should read Wet roads , alcohol , speed and idiot untrained drivers and riders this is the facts .

You can add Tires with no profile with to low or to high air pressure, done brake pads and linings, overloaded and what not.

32 minutes ago, Crusader said:

A line from a Bond movie comes to mind with regards Thai motorcyclists..."I am invincible" - Boris Ivanovich Grishenko...Goldeneye.

Riding motorbikes in Thailand reminds me more of the Leslie Chow line in Hangover 3.

"I am invisible".

Having driven on Rama 2 yesterday in the rain this doesn't surprise me at all. the slow lane was full of puddles which cause aquaplaning of the left tyres. Middle land was full of people driving 40kph, fast lane full of hot heads driving way too fast for the conditions, along with a few Mercedes racing between the traffic. I finally turn on to the frontage and am met with a huge pool of flood water. I chose a different route (Ratchapruek) home which instead became a battle with the bikes weaving in and out of traffic in all lanes and inadequate lighting. All part of the fun I guess.

Sadly more lives are lost.

Thailand, where LIFE IS CHEAP.

Did any reader see that idiot on TV news this morning swinging and flashing a knife out of the drivers side window of a car whilst driving the car in traffic? This is Thailand....ME ME ME! I DO WHAT I LIKE and could not care less..  'UP TO ME' is the usual mind-set.

In 17 years of living here, with no reduction in road deaths and many more thousands injured for life my conclusions are these:

Thai people don't care

Parents don't care

Police and enforcement agencies don't care

Government doesn't care

Thai culture doesn't care

Who really does care??

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

One would think at the high rate of families and friends affected by road deaths that there would be grassroots efforts all over the place - yet Thais just seem not to get upset and react to changing the cause of road accidents 

I'm sure I am not the only one who has attended the funeral of a deceased drunk driver only to watch the attendees get stupidly drunk and ride/drive off to their homes.

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

The headline should read Wet roads , alcohol , speed and idiot untrained drivers and riders this is the facts .

You forgot to add "massive ineffective police force and petty minor fines for road violations."

Archived