Lethal mix of rain, slippery roads and speed: 65 dead on Thai roads on Monday

webfact

53 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

Notice that I did not include a picture with the name of the bus company.  I explicitly did not. 
It would be more of a priority in Thailand for a bus company to come after someone for defamation who posted a picture online of one of their buses driving on slicks then it would be for the same authorities to go after the bus company for putting all of the bus's passengers at mortal risk of injury or death because their bus is running on bald tyres. 
Until the Thai authorities can straighten out their priorities the carnage continues unabated.  Remember this the next time you hear of a bus coming off the road while driving in the mountains of Northern Thailand.  In the back of your mind will be a niggling little voice, "I wonder if it was that bus driving on slicks?" 
There is no real will in the LOS to put and end to the carnage. 

Pah thats "nothing" here, to see  it  done correctly  look at the inner  wheel of the two,  unless you can see through the tyre to the plys it  doesnt  count.....Hua  Hin at traffic  lights, I got well ahead of this  vehicle

20190316_163654.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Samui, there is often oil on the road, this oil is not from leaking engines though, its often from garbage trucks who have collected rubbish from restaurants and resorts. In many countries there are companies that collect used cooking oil from the above and convert it to biodiesel, I'm not sure if it is legal here but if so there could be an opening .... just a thought ???? 

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

It's always the rain, the slippery roads, Dog S++t on the road, the wind, the wrong kind of leaves or any other excuse to cover up the real cause of most accidents....lousy driving.    They just don't understand that you have to drive to the conditions at any given time, not just continue with foot right through the floor every time they get in the driving seat !

yea because thailand is the only country in the world with rain and slippery roads, even the advocates for road safety are missing the point and/or are in denial.

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I hate to imagine just how bad the figures would be if these Morons were to drive in a European Country, where they would experience Snow, Ice , Fog, and Freezing rain.

I have a few Thai friends who drive back in the UK.

They are competent safe drivers.

One can only assume the driver instruction, stringent driving test and the enforcement of traffic regulations is the reason.

1 hour ago, kevinmartyn said:

I Wonder if that's the real numbers and if they were Thai's and foreigners! The driving standard in Thailand is some of the worst i have witnessed and Thai drivers and police have a "DGF" attitude! on  anu road!

thats the big problem D G F you hit the nail on the head.....

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I hate to imagine just how bad the figures would be if these Morons were to drive in a European Country, where they would experience Snow, Ice , Fog, and Freezing rain.

they would not have a clue as to what to do.....

how would they get on if in a skid????

When you have approx 20,000 people dying a year in any context, it has to be classed as a war zone. 20,000 people dying in a way that could be far more governed and controlled is just scandalous.

When I was home at Easter I went to watch my football team and there was an attendance of 32,000 there for the game. I remember looking around the stadium and thinking that in around 18 - 24 months this is how many people die on a road in Thailand.

It is shear negligence by the whole country. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Quoting police at an accident in Ban Chang, Rayong they said that rain, slippery roads and speed were making driving conditions hazardous. 

Police need to understand that drivers with less than a brain, make driving conditions hazardous. Nothing else is an excuse.

And there are much too many without!

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And the best thing they've come up with is the point-system....it's just mind-boggling. 

No, they want to increase the sped limit to reduce the number of accidents according to a recent article here.

26 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

When I was home at Easter I went to watch my football team and there was an attendance of 32,000 there for the game. I remember looking around the stadium and thinking that in around 18 - 24 months this is how many people die on a road in Thailand.

Was the game that bad?

Meanwhile in Syria,Iraq and Libya over the weekend the same amount of people died on the roads but that was terror related incidents involving IED roadside bombs..(sarcasm alert)

the carnage will continue for decades before anyone will seriously look at the problem.you can give away free helmets to the whole of the population but they will be thrown aside or made into plant pots or chicken coop/nests.

Where I live it had been raining for about roughly 3 days, sometimes light sometimes heavy. Out side my gate 4-5" water covered 50 yards or so of the Soi and I was debating whether or not to go out for my lunch because I knew what the main road would be like. I was just about to slide open the gate when a pickup came by and soaked me from the waist down. I watch it speed down to the exit (only one way out) spraying water as it went. Needless to say that I decided to stay home and have a salad sandwich for my lunch.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am back in England right now and the difference on the roads is amazing. People drive sensibly, show courtesy towards other road users, and give way to each other, with an acknowledgement of each others actions mutually acknowledged. Thailand however is just a frenzied chaos, with no manners, no respect for other road users, selfish behaviour to carve up other vehicles to save three seconds, and no enforcement of law. 

Trying to see Thailand bridge the gap between the right way to drive safely, with the stupidity, recklessness and rudeness we have currently, is a very tall order. Put simply, they haven't got the first clue, and the carnage is going to continue for a very long time to come.

I agree 100% with this post. I was in the UK last year at this time, I hadn't driven a vehicle of any kind in almost 4 years. I hired a car at Heathrow and felt totally at home on the roads for the drive to Gloucestershire, not all motorway. I spent 2 weeks driving around various places and it was almost a joy to be able to anticipate the intentions of other road users. and feel really in control. Returning to Thailand and its like being on the dodgems at the fun fair, but it ain't no fun. 

Basically we are dealing with a load of uneducated twits, the only thing they have taken in in their education is that Buddha will take care. The some who have some education just show a contempt for the rest of Thai society as shown by the way owners of Mercedes, Beamers and Audi’s drive.

Thailand was never polluted by the west so it’s a bit like the lost tribe that’s just been found, it’s only the last 60 odd years that they have arrived in the world so thats 100 years behind.

Archived