Lethal mix of rain, slippery roads and speed: 65 dead on Thai roads on Monday

webfact

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me first.

I'm in front.

If I give way to you it means I'm subservient to you and my ego and culture wont allow.

I'd rather die than show deference to anyone because I'm the greatest. 

I'm thai 

I thought that Calgary had too many village idiots driving on our streets, but 65 deaths

in a day, would be a record bad day. Okay Bangkok, you win!  Hope I can enjoy my

holidays in Thailand this Winter without becoming a traffic statistic.

Geezer

All i can say Have another meeting boys and see if you can stop the slaughter. I see they are blaming the rainy weather ha ha  My question is Does it rain 365 days per year? Because that is how many die on thai roads every day (Maybe more)

10 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Where I live it had been raining for about roughly 3 days, sometimes light sometimes heavy. Out side my gate 4-5" water covered 50 yards or so of the Soi and I was debating whether or not to go out for my lunch because I knew what the main road would be like. I was just about to slide open the gate when a pickup came by and soaked me from the waist down. I watch it speed down to the exit (only one way out) spraying water as it went. Needless to say that I decided to stay home and have a salad sandwich for my lunch.

Cheaper and taste better

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Thailand however is just a frenzied chaos, with no manners, no respect for other road users, selfish behaviour to carve up other vehicles to save three seconds

But, when they have parked their vehicle and got out of it, they behave completely different. Why?

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Seems to me they should ban ALL stationary objects 10m away from ALL roads - though I'm sure Thai drivers would still drive out of their way to hit one !

Please dont be too hard on the Thai drivers...Maybe the stationary objects such as trees and power poles jump out in front of them so its really not their fault.

18 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

One would think at the high rate of families and friends affected by road deaths that there would be grassroots efforts all over the place - yet Thais just seem not to get upset and react to changing the cause of road accidents 

Nobody cares

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Which has nothing to do with and has no influence on the topic of this thread.

Huh!??? isnt it lack of enforcement of road laws and the fact that punishments are usually very minor that enables stupid driving and speeding.  Seems directly related to the article and your comment to me but you are free to interpret as you like.

I was traveling through heavy rain yesterday, being driven by my Grandneice. I asked her to slow down and quoted Aquaplane speed. She did slow down but on arriving home, I found a video on YouTube explaining aquaplaning and made her watch it. She understood the bit about a layer of water between the tyre and the road, but it was the first time she had heard of the phenomonon.

There is nothing wrong with my bald tires or my driving, I consistently get top scores on console and the bottles in the back as you can see Officer are all empty! I cannot understand why the accident happened and why you are talking to me.

Was travelling (Chiang Mai) maybe 65kph down second ring road(121) from superhighway(11) while it was pouring rain, and my fat ass tires started hydroplaning, (lost touch totally to the road thru the steering wheel, momentarily regaining traction jerking the car to slight drift) - at the same time had about 5 pickups on the same 5 km straight fly by, totally oblivious to the conditions of the road at 120kph+, last one throwing tail all over the road not once but twice - just kept on throttling, thought it was a miracle there was no crashes along the way back home and was glad the u-turns on the way were clear of any suicidal petrolheads ????

Archived