Thailand's July foreign tourist arrivals rise 4.7% y/y - ministry

webfact

Thailand's July foreign tourist arrivals rise 4.7% y/y - ministry

t.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, Aug 27 (Reuters) - * Thailand saw a rise of 4.72% in July from a year earlier, after rising 0.89% in tourist arrivals in June, the tourism ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.

* The 3.33 million tourists in July spent about 167.3 billion baht ($5.47 billion), up 3.11% from a year earlier.

* Visitors from China, Thailand’s biggest source of tourists, rose 5.81% in July from a year earlier, after dropping 7.1% in June.

* Foreign tourist receipts make up about 12% of Thailand’s gross domestic product. ($1 = 30.60 baht)

(Reporting by Orathai Sriring Editing by Darren Schuettler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-27

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

OK, they might know how many tourists are  coming in.

but how do they know how much they are spending ?,

and who in Thailand knows how to work in % ages????

regards worgeordie

They use the same formulae they use for picking the lottery numbers.

Disappointing figures, I expected much better, matter of fact, I expect the entire population of the world to visit Thailand at some time in their life, all 8 billion who will spend 15 million, gazillion dollars...……. who does'nt want to visit the most popular place on Earth! Go TAT!

Of course they are up, worldwide visitors are flocking to Thailand to see rubbish strewn beaches, brown sewwr infested water, packs of stray dogs everywhere, get snarled at by cashiers and serving staff and to enjoy a very expensive low quality meal and drink with a padded bill, all this after being ripped off or threatened by the taxi ride from the airport. Surely at least 50million will visit next year

11 hours ago, baansgr said:

Of course they are up, worldwide visitors are flocking to Thailand to see rubbish strewn beaches, brown sewwr infested water, packs of stray dogs everywhere, get snarled at by cashiers and serving staff and to enjoy a very expensive low quality meal and drink with a padded bill, all this after being ripped off or threatened by the taxi ride from the airport. Surely at least 50million will visit next year

You forgot the big rats. I nearly crashed the motorbike yesterday as I pulled out on a major road lots of traffic but 3 big rats spinning across the road being hit by the traffic this was midday.

13 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Okay, so I really don't understand all the other articles saying that they are deeply worried about the lack of tourists

Plenty of articles bemoan the loss of tourist income, what am I missing?.......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The onward flights to Vietnam

13 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Okay, so I really don't understand all the other articles saying that they are deeply worried about the lack of tourists

You are missing that they count every airport transit passenger and every tourist border run on their lists.

So a long staying tourist is actually 4 not just 1!! Simple maths!!!. ????????????????

Simple being the operative word.????????????????

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

OK, they might know how many tourists are  coming in.

but how do they know how much they are spending ?,

and who in Thailand knows how to work in % ages????

regards worgeordie

If you go to Central Festival, Marina, Royal Garden, or Terminal 21 in Pattaya you see hundreds of foreigners each hour carrying bags from stores.  Would assume a store selling a product keeps receipts and reports income, same as hotels.  Restaurants in Malls busy also.  Not sure how they tell tourists from those living here full time though.  Maybe all non-thais are in reality tourists?  What about Thais who visit Pattaya on the weekend, is that considered tourist income? 

15 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Where are they sleeping? Hotels occupations allover the major touristics sites generally down between 25 to 50% in July and September in houses statistics showing worst.. Numerous hotels closing, I am in hospitalities july was a nightmare and wondering how to close as well... 

Numbers slumbers.   Any number can be extracted from any data to be something different.  Add in a few graphs to boot.  What gets me is how they can workout (guess) how much is spent by the tourists.  90+ percent of business here is cash..... 

19 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

not much... welcome to Thailand and to the TAT bs

22 hours ago, webfact said:

* The 3.33 million tourists in July spent about 167.3 billion baht ($5.47 billion), up 3.11% from a year earlier.

always wonder how they come up with the spending amounts, what kind of formula they use as I would like to use the same for my monthly expenses, if their calculations are correct it's around 500 +/- baht/tourist thus not the expected RICH Indian& Chinese tourists

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, Mavideol said:

always wonder how they come up with the spending amounts, what kind of formula they use as I would like to use the same for my monthly expenses, if their calculations are correct it's around 500 +/- baht/tourist thus not the expected RICH Indian& Chinese tourists

500 baht? More like 50,000 baht per tourist. But yes, where do they get there figures from …. and does that include expats travelling in and out……. Even if it didn't, there are about 500,000 expats in Thailand (give or take, no one official source) and they spend about 50,000 baht a month too. So maybe about 20% of all 'tourist' spending is actually long stay expats. Drive them away, and we are talking a couple of percent of Thai GDP.

Of course, the attitude of many of those in Thai officialdom is that we are a load of criminal alcoholics who seduce Thai women, run most of the scams and are overly critical of Thai values, and they want us out. Hence the ratcheting up of immigration requirements over the last 6 years or so.

A telling article from 2016 here about expats in Thailand - 

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/03/expats-thailand/

On 8/28/2019 at 1:45 PM, Grumpy John said:

Numbers slumbers.   Any number can be extracted from any data to be something different.  Add in a few graphs to boot.  What gets me is how they can workout (guess) how much is spent by the tourists.  90+ percent of business here is cash..... 

ATM withdrawals from foreign accounts

Archived