Found out you can order groceries online for a fairly low price

Hal65

Big C I bought some vegetables for 270 baht with 70 delivery charge which is waived above 1,500 thb orders. I'll probably tip another 40 or so, well worth it to save the drive, lines, and hassle of grocery shopping. Do you guys also order groceries to your homes?

• Like 1

Honestbee is even cheaper with the promo code they run each month and on signup. 

Edit: Looks like that are almost bankrupt. Not really surprising since they had very nice promo when I was in Bangkok. 

When I was in Bangkok I also found a website that gave something like 1-2% when you shopped online and Big C was in the list. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

Have been using Tesco Lotus for more than six years now - stock control is always an issue but normally they will pick a viable substitute that you can decline.  Price is now 70 baht for 10-12 time period.  They no longer have enough delivery trucks (expansion to other cities?) so most orders are delivered by MC.  Ice creams do not seem to survive well.  There is no reason to tip - this is not a private delivery service.

Tops for me has had very good stock control if next day delivery - but beyond that it can be very bad (and was last few months when they seemed to only have slots 2 or 3 days out) was getting about 20% of orders.

Do not buy much fresh food as still have truck visit soi 6 days a week.

Edited by lopburi3

I have used HappyFresh here in BKK for about a year now.  Many choices of stores (Big C, Tesco, Gourmet Market, etc.)

It’s good for things that I don’t want to lug back to my condo (bulky/heavy) However, I don’t like using them for anything that needs refrigeration (milk for example) and similar to what everybody else says, often, something I want isn’t available and I won’t always know until too late.  So...if I have a particular dish that I want to cook and it calls for multiple ingredients, I always go to the supermarket in person.

@TallGuyJohninBKK With Tesco do you know if the delivery person seeks out reception for a signature or not? I imagine they'd want someone related to the order taker for accepting or declining substitutions?

Also, I've read they may come up to 3 hours early and have schedule a time block on the later side of my availability. Or is that also risky as they may come later than the scheduled timeframe too?

Edited by Hal65

12 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Also, I've read they may come up to 3 hours early and have schedule a time block on the later side of my availability. Or is that also risky as they may come later than the scheduled timeframe too?

There's another thread on this and as I recall there was general agreement that delivery guys simply pay no attention to delivery time blocks. As for signing, security takes delivery at my condo for me. Whether they sign or not I have no idea

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, madmen said:

I'm surprised people still push trolley's

Tesco are great for Veges as well always in great condition

I take it you don't find produce (or other) substitution to be a big problem?

Tesco has the best produce catalog for that reason it seems. Big C doesn't list any loose vegetables that must be weighed, probably a different philosophy regarding handling of stock.

Edited by Hal65

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

Honestbee is even cheaper with the promo code they run each month and on signup. 

Edit: Looks like that are almost bankrupt. Not really surprising since they had very nice promo when I was in Bangkok. 

I gave up on HonestBee long ago for grocery deliveries. Had very bad experiences with them, and problems with their customer service.

55 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

There's another thread on this and as I recall there was general agreement that delivery guys simply pay no attention to delivery time blocks. As for signing, security takes delivery at my condo for me. Whether they sign or not I have no idea

I've had a lot of problems with off schedule deliveries from these guys (Tops and Tesco particularly), and the worst part is, they often don't even bother to call in advance to advise of their off schedule arrival.  They just show up unannounced, hours off from their schedule time.

So as a result, they show up in mid afternoon for a scheduled night delivery. When if I was working, I wouldn't even be home. Etc etc... like that, and I've ended up having to leave notes in the comments section of the order in TH language -- DO NOT show up before the scheduled delivery window. (I quickly discovered that noting anything in EN is a useless endeavor with them and their drivers, who typically speak zero EN).

Villa, on the other hand, has been very good about their delivery windows and keeping to them, with very little and occasionally small variation. They use their own staff for deliveries a lot of the time, and seemingly in later evening hours, use LaLaMove motorcycles.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, madmen said:

I'm surprised people still push trolley's

Tesco are great for Veges as well always in great condition

Maybe from your area... but from my areas, which are served by their OnNut and Rama IV stores, their "fresh" veggies often tend to be pretty old...  Not to mention that Tesco and Big C didn't fare very well in Thai-PAN's recent survey on pesticide contamination testing for local fruits and veggies.

59 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I live in a home, so I don't really have the option of anyone to take the deliveries for us. But even if I did, what happens when security accepts delivery of your off schedule order than has milk or yogurt or fresh meat or frozen food, etc etc... and it ends up sitting out there for some hours until you finally come home (ahead of the scheduled delivery time)....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Maybe from your area... but from my areas, which are served by their OnNut and Rama IV stores, their "fresh" veggies often tend to be pretty old...  Not to mention that Tesco and Big C didn't fare very well in Thai-PAN's recent survey on pesticide contamination testing for local fruits and veggies.
Won't touch villa. The soi 11 branch use to stink near the meat department and their vegetables were crazy expensive and poor condition
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, madmen said:
8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Won't touch villa. The soi 11 branch use to stink near the meat department and their vegetables were crazy expensive and poor condition

I agree about the former Soi 11 Villa for veggies.... oftentimes very old and seemingly sitting on the shelves for ages. I think the Soi 33 store is better about that... But these days, I tend to buy our veggies at a Central Market, where the standards and turnover seem to be better.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, madmen said:
42 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sure doubt it could hold a candle to the Robinson's in Angeles when it comes to odor/stink

Now that's a real smell!

I'm very pleased with  our local villas.     I keep meaning to give the delivery service they have a try.

Tesco order came in today. There was one substitution: instead of 4 regular oats packs I got 4 instant oats.

Big C called 3 times and needed directions whereas Tesco arrived without issues. As they also sell loose produce I consider them the better option.

Edited by Hal65

I signed up for Big C in Pattaya, I tried a test shop and couldn't find most of the products I was looking for, ie: Dairy, fresh meat, bakery etc etc, I used to use Tesco's & Sainsbury's in the UK and get everything I needed, haven't bothered since, just let the Mrs go, I get peace and quiet and she battles the traffic, result. ????

• 3 weeks later...

4th order today and the driver called me saying, maybe asking if coming in 1 hour was fine. This is 2 hours ahead of my scheduled window. I told him I was at home.

Honestly these home deliveries have been a life upgrade. I didn't realize how much time I lose to groceries, how often I forget things, and the general background stress of it all. It's the #1 errand by far and now it's nothing.

When I started this thread people reported Tesco ignores the delivery window but in 4 deliveries this was the only one and the driver called far in advance to inquire first. I wonder if you guys live far out in the outskirt areas of your cities/towns? I am in Pattaya near the city center so maybe I have things easy.

On 8/27/2019 at 4:32 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

FWIW, Tesco and Tops also have similar issues with their online platforms not reflecting what is or isn't in-stock in their stores, and I've had similar problems with both in the past. But at least these days, Tops will call ahead of the order to advise if things are out of stock. Tesco typically won't even do that.

The Tesco superstores near me have staff too stupid to find items I want on the shelf, so I order online and it appears.

Tesco Original tea bags, at 115bht for 80 bags

Tesco Onion Gravy granules at 45bht for 200gm tub.

If I buy 4 or 5 at a time that helps offset the 60bht delivery fee.

Cash on delivery stops them delivering when I'm not home.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 7:12 PM, madmen said:

I have never like Villa Market on Soi 33, it smells and is overpriced.

That being said, I order from Tops as they have things that I like that Big C doesnt. Im like the BritMan, its easier to have them bring the stuff than it is for me to find it. I order in bulk too so I only have to do it once in a while, tomotao juice, coconut water, soda water, coffee, condensed milk, soap powder, soap, sauces, basically anyhting in a can or jar or package, There is a Tesco on On Nut but I go there for meat and dairy or to Gourmet Market in Mquartier.

I buy my fruits and veggies on the street. Tops had watermelons for 80 baht, the lady on the corner had them for 40. 

• Like 1

In BKK, I've been ordering online from Tops and Tesco for several years now... And then Villa Market came along with their own online ordering service in the past year or so.

Tops is always free delivery with 888 baht or higher orders, and have periodic free delivery offers for their online customers.\

Tesco is a flat 60 baht delivery fee, regardless of order amount.

Villa is 90 baht per delivery, again, regardless of order amount.

Big C is OK, but I usually find what I want elsewhere. And I used to have a lot of problems with Big C showing items available on their website, and then having them deliver the order with many or most of the items missing... Because, their online system doesn't reflect what's actually available in their various stores that handle their deliveries by area.

FWIW, Tesco and Tops also have similar issues with their online platforms not reflecting what is or isn't in-stock in their stores, and I've had similar problems with both in the past. But at least these days, Tops will call ahead of the order to advise if things are out of stock. Tesco typically won't even do that.

Villa, on the other hand, pretty much has its online platform in synch with its in-store stock, probably because all their own deliveries come out of one location, their Suk Soi 33 main branch. In the past, I've been ordering something from them online, and clicked to say I want two pieces of something, but when I click for a 3rd piece, the system will then reply, no more items available.

Are you a Thai Citizen? When I try to sign up for Villa, the app requires that I enter Thai ID.

3 hours ago, phungo said:

Are you a Thai Citizen? When I try to sign up for Villa, the app requires that I enter Thai ID.

Villa is specifically oriented to expat customers, so I seriously doubt that's the case.

I have never bothered to use or try their app. But I use their website for ordering all the time, signed up there, and obviously it does not require any kind of Thai ID.

Has anybody tried ordering online with MaxValue?  If Yes, good or not so good?   I live a few blocks away from a full size Max value and they do offer free delivery from the store if you spend B1000+ however one must inquire at the CS desk BEFORE shopping because some days: "No have."

• 2 weeks later...

Today's order came in and I was surprised to see only a 30 baht delivery charge from Tesco. Normally it is 60 baht. 

Have you guys also noticed this? The lower charge makes me less hesitant to place smaller orders.