Uninvited people at wedding

megapix

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall, when finally realising why; the original 1 pig, became 3 pigs... and 20 extra chickens!!

at least the butchering and letting scene made for great village entertainment

( we had 300 extras... virtually the entire remaining villagers)

30 minutes ago, tifino said:

ah! the proverbial monk ordination ceremony crowd hangeronerers

wheres the band? ????

Very similar to wedding practices in ancient Greece or Rome.

The band came for the promenade thru' the village afterwards...all the women making those hair raising ullulations...marvelous stuff.????

Anyway,we are wandering off topic so let the additional folks in and have a great wedding day-sanook,sanook..sabai,sabai..

37 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Luckily we got invited to a wedding before we got married. I was shocked when I saw the groom looking like a dressed up ape. Told my beloved  right away that I didn't want such circus. So we agreed to postpone it until after my funeral. And more than 10 years down the road we still boomboom whenever the bike hasn't claimed all my juices for a given day.

'the bike hasn't claimed all my juices for a given day'

A bit too much information there.

Any photos?

When we did the traditional Lao wedding it was during Songkran (in 2000). Nothing formal, no paper invites just word of mouth. Had a camp kitchen set up at the side of Mother's house. Cases and cases of Lao Beer. Probably had 500 people coming and going through out the day. Complete strangers walked in off the street and even had a few foreign tourists came in to say hello. It was a bit of a culture shock for me but for her family it was all about showing face.  

Looks like the OP still have to learn a lot about Thailand. When the party is in a restaurant or at a hotel, you only will see people who are invited. If you do at home it is very normal: everybody can come and join the party, even the all village. Before makings steps and getting a wedding party: be smart and take some information so you will have no surprises as Thailand is not Europe. For what it will cost you: let people enjoy and don't think you are the boss, you just have the money (???)

On 8/28/2019 at 12:29 AM, shy coconut said:

My  experiences from isaan is that formalities don't really exist, people seem to pop

in and out all the time,

My brother-in-law and a friend once sat in front of my house drinking whisky and playing music, and some guy came and joined them. They all got drunk, the guy had a song-song and then fell asleep, before a woman came and collected him. No-one had any idea who he was or where he came from ????

Another time, my father-in-law came home and found a total stranger had parked his car on the lawn and was washing it with the garden hose ????

Just get in an extra 10 cases of Chang and cater for a few more people food wise, and enjoy the day. Cost will be minimal and your wife and her family will gain the respect of the village. For Thb 10,000 not worth being talked about after if your short of food and drink.

Congratulations.

1 hour ago, easydoor said:

Looks like the OP still have to learn a lot about Thailand. When the party is in a restaurant or at a hotel, you only will see people who are invited. If you do at home it is very normal: everybody can come and join the party, even the all village. Before makings steps and getting a wedding party: be smart and take some information so you will have no surprises as Thailand is not Europe. For what it will cost you: let people enjoy and don't think you are the boss, you just have the money (???)

Learning about Thailand has nothing to do with this. I asked for advice what to do in this case as my wedding is in hotel. If it would be in some Isaan village I wouldn't care. But Im not marrying a village girl.

The point was that I didn't know where those uninvited people would sit and eat as I have a seating arrangement. But already found a solution, the hotel said that they have extra chairs and tables prepared and the guests will order a la carte. We share the wedding costs 50/50

no envelope, no entry, i had a so called friend, invite me to his wedding, (brown envelope in the invite) traditional dress only, and he was talking 4000, baht (entry) <deleted>. time i costed it out it would have been over 7000 to go to a bloody wedding, i made some lame excuse, (whats wrong with a toaster) a month later he rocks up with a brand new Toyota, full extra package, huge wheels,  skirt kit , the whole works, his new wife very happy,

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Good luck with your wedding.

I wish we had stunners like this in Hua Hin.

037.JPG

Geez NCC. I think you're being darn rude to speak about my wife that way.

No, I will not tell you which one she is (for fear of you putting the make on my sweetie).

Just now, neeray said:

No, I will not tell you which one she is (for fear of you putting the make on my sweetie).

oh my god I am sorry. i feel like a complete idiot.

5 minutes ago, neeray said:

Your dark secret is safe I only carry a banana tree for you????

On 8/28/2019 at 6:37 AM, PatOngo said:

Make sure they bring an envelope with cash.

Absolutely right!  The day after our Wedding, we sat down and opened all the envelopes and then did an income and expenditure sheet..............we made a profit!  I asked if we could do it again next week, but didn't quite understand the answer in Thai!

10 minutes ago, neeray said:

so about 20 years ago at work i hear a story about a woman who is very difficult to work with.

then her names comes up and i parrot the only thing i know about this person.

the man i am talking to asks me where i heard that information. i said someone here told me a lighting director said she is really impossible. 

of course it was his wife. but i don't think it was news to him.

My  experiences from isaan is that formalities don't really exist, people seem to pop

in and out all the time, weddings, whether involving a foreigner or not seem to be a free

for all and the whole village pile in.

I would just budget for more food and drink and try and enjoy the day, as long as you've got 

somewhere to sit and something to eat you'll be fine.

Of course if you're having a formal western style do in a hotel with seating arrangements

then I can see there could be problems!

We got an invitation and went to a Thai wedding in a mid sized village in Roi et, both families not poor, but not much above. Lovely genuine people.

Turned out that village has a tradition of everybody welcome and when folks leave they must be given enough food and rice for their family for one day plus 2 bottles of beer.

We were invited quests but the uninvited swelled to quite big numbers, quess who was quietly asked to donate 2,000Baht and then another 1,000 to ensure there was enough give-away beer. 

When it was time for my family to leave we were presented with 10K of good rice.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:47 AM, megapix said:

The problem is not higher costs but I have a western style wedding in 5 star hotel and we have prepared seats for all the guests. And I don't know what to do if there will be 10, 20 or more people coming and I will not have a space for them. My wife just tells me that I don't have worry about them because they are not invited.

If my wedding would in a village I wouldn't mind more people coming as it is informal, but in this case it bothers me. 

Your wife has got it right, so don't worry about it.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:52 AM, colinneil said:

Well mate dont worry every wedding here has more guests than invited.

When i married my ex, we had about 100 or so invited guests, more than 140 turned up, hotel staff just kept bringing more chairs/ tables.

So many uninvited  turned up the food ran out, only person concerned was me, wife said jai yen yen, up to them no food/drink.

Hope you returned the envelopes with the money in them to those who did not get any food. :cheesy: 

That is quite common don't worry about seating they will sit on the ground. The booze is what they are after. Never have bottles on the tables they will end up under shirts and in bags. Bar service with booze under lock and key is a must if you want enough remaining for the evening. 

in and out all the time, weddings, whether involving a foreigner or not seem to be a free

for all and the whole village pile in.

I would just budget for more food and drink and try and enjoy the day, as long as you've got 

somewhere to sit and something to eat you'll be fine.

Of course if you're having a formal western style do in a hotel with seating arrangements

then I can see there could be problems!

As above. It is absolutely usual throughout SE Asia  here for people not invited to show up.  Also common for people who were invited -- for example, a work colleague - to send someone in their place.

These uninvited people will, however, eat.

Just plan on slightly more food and people than number of invitees. At most Thai wedding receptions people come and go continually, the waiters clear off the tables and reseat new people as they arrive. It is nto like a Western reception where people are expected to stay for the duration (or at least until the dancing starts).

Archived