'Eats away at my soul': Epstein accusers testify weeks after his suicide

webfact

'Eats away at my soul': Epstein accusers testify weeks after his suicide

By Brendan Pierson and Nathan Layne

2019-08-27T175138Z_3_LYNXNPEF7Q1A7_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-JEFFREY-EPSTEIN.JPG

Gloria Allred, representing alleged victims of Jeffrey Epstein, arrives with an unidentified women for a hearing in the criminal case against Jeffrey Epstein, who died this month in what a New York City medical examiner ruled a suicide, at Federal Court in New York, U.S., August 27, 2019. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A succession of women who said Jeffrey Epstein sexually abused them at a young age voiced anger and defiance in a packed New York courtroom on Tuesday, some lamenting that the financier's suicide deprived them of the opportunity to obtain justice.

"The fact that I will never have a chance to face my predator in court eats away at my soul," accuser Jennifer Araoz said during a 2-1/2 hour hearing before U.S. District Judge Richard Berman, who let the women testify despite the fact that Epstein's death meant he would never face a trial.

"I will not let him win in death," another woman, Chauntae Davies, told the court.

The dramatic statements, with the women expressing raw emotions and sometimes holding back tears, came less than three weeks after Epstein was found dead in a Manhattan jail cell where he was awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges involving dozens of girls as young as 14.

Federal prosecutors asked the judge to formally dismiss their case against Epstein because of his death but said the government's investigation into potential co-conspirators was ongoing.

One after another, the accusers detailed what they said were Epstein's actions against them years ago when they were teenagers. In all, 16 women testified, including six who did so without giving their names, and lawyers read statements from seven other women.

"He showed the world what a depraved and cowardly human being he was by taking his own life," said Sarah Ransome, another of the women.

Ransome implored prosecutors to hold Epstein's co-conspirators responsible, telling them, "Please, please finish what you started. We all know he did not act alone."

Epstein, who once counted U.S. President Donald Trump, former President Bill Clinton and Britain's Prince Andrew as friends, was arrested on July 6 and pleaded not guilty. The wealthy 66-year-old money manager was found dead Aug. 10 in his cell at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Lower Manhattan. An autopsy concluded that he hanged himself.

Explaining why he gave the women and their lawyers an opportunity to address the court, the judge said it was "both because of their relevant experiences and because they should always be involved before, rather than after, the fact." At the end of the hearing, Berman said "everyone has benefited greatly" from hearing from the women.

Jennifer Araoz, one of the women who accused financier Jeffrey Epstein of sexual abuse, told reporters on Tuesday, it was 'powerful' to speak out and also hear other alleged victims express their emotions in a New York City courtroom. Gloria Allred, the lawyer for multiple alleged victims, said Epstein's death 'does not end the case'. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

A succession of women who say Jeffrey Epstein sexually abused them voiced anger and defiance in a packed New York courtroom on Tuesday, expressing raw emotions during a dramatic hearing less than three weeks after the financier killed himself while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.

"He showed the world what a depraved and cowardly human being he was by taking his own life," one of the women, Sarah Ransome, said at the hearing before U.S. District Judge Richard Berman that lasted about 2-1/2 hours.

"I will not let him win in death," another woman, Chauntae Davies, told the court.

Federal prosecutors appeared at the hearing to ask the judge to formally dismiss their case against Epstein. One after another, the accusers then detailed Epstein's actions against them years ago. In all, 16 women testified, including six who did so without giving their names, and lawyers read statements from seven other women.

Epstein, who once counted U.S. President Donald Trump and former President Bill Clinton as friends, was arrested on July 6 and pleaded not guilty to federal charges of sex trafficking involving dozens of girls as young as 14.

The 66-year-old was found dead Aug. 10 in his cell at the Metropolitan Correctional Center (MCC) in Lower Manhattan. An autopsy concluded that he hanged himself.

Explaining why he gave the women and their lawyers an opportunity to address the court, the judge it was "both because of their relevant experiences and because they should always be involved before, rather than after, the fact." After the hearing, Berman said "everyone has benefited greatly" from hearing from the women.

Prosecutors accused Epstein of arranging for girls to perform nude "massages" and other sex acts, and paying some girls to recruit others, from at least 2002 to 2005. Some of the women said he raped them.

"The fact that I will never have a chance to face my predator in court eats away at my soul," said Jennifer Araoz, another of the women.

"I feel very angry and sad that justice has never been served in this case," Courtney Wild, another accuser, told the hearing.

Davies told the court Epstein hired her to give massages. She said Epstein raped her the third or fourth time they met on his private island and continued to abuse her.

Berman ordered prosecutors and defense lawyers for Epstein to appear in court after the Manhattan U.S. Attorney's office said it wanted to dismiss the indictment against the financier in light of his jail cell death.

Prosecutors accused Epstein of arranging for girls to perform nude "massages" and other sex acts, and paying some girls to recruit others, from at least 2002 to 2005. Some of the women have publicly said Epstein raped them.

'MOST VIVIDLY'

Davies told the court Epstein had hired her to give massages. She said Epstein raped her the third or fourth time they met on his private island and continued to abuse her.

Another woman, testifying without giving her name, said Epstein molested her when she was 15 at his ranch in New Mexico.

"What I remember most vividly is him explaining how beneficial the experience was for me," she said.

Epstein's death has triggered investigations by the FBI, the U.S. Justice Department's inspector general's office and the U.S. Bureau of Prisons, which runs the detention facility.

Epstein lawyers Reid Weingarten and Martin Weinberg said they had doubts about the New York medical examiner's conclusion that Epstein committed suicide, urging Berman to investigate further.

Epstein's arrest in New York came more than a decade after he avoided prosecution on similar federal charges in Florida by striking a deal enabling him to plead guilty to state prostitution charges.

That deal, widely criticized as too lenient, resulted in Epstein serving 13 months in a county jail, which he was allowed to leave during the day on work release.

At the hearing, the judge said he was obligated to dismiss the indictment.

"Dismissal of this indictment as to Jeffrey Epstein in no way prohibits or inhibits the government's ongoing investigation into potential co-conspirators," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Maurene Comey, adding that prosecutors also could continue to seek forfeiture of Epstein's assets.

Many of the women who testified said Ghislaine Maxwell, a longtime Epstein companion, helped him recruit girls and carry out his abuse.

A spokesman for federal prosecutors in Manhattan declined to confirm or deny whether Maxwell or any other specific individual is under investigation. A lawyer for Maxwell could not immediately be reached for comment.

Multiple women have filed civil lawsuits against Epstein's estate since his death, seeking monetary damages.

Two days before his death, Epstein signed a will placing all of his property, worth more than $577 million, in a trust, according to a copy of the document seen by Reuters. The move could make it more difficult for accusers to get access to his riches in civil litigation.

"I feel very angry and sad," accuser Courtney Wild told the court on Tuesday, "that justice has never been served in this case."

(Reporting By Brendan Pierson in New York; Additional reporting by Nathan Layne; Editing by Noeleen Walder and Will Dunham)

He is dead. Shouldn't they be happy about that? Or is there maybe money involved in their motivation.

It seem Epstein wasn't exactly a nice guy. But until now I see only vague accusations. Maybe it was published somewhere already but I would like to know:

- How did he force them to have sex when they gave him a massage? Did he use his strength? Did he threaten them? Or did he offer them money and then they decided they like to prostitute themselves?

- Did this happen to each girl only once and then they run away and reported the rape to the police? Or did they willingly go back after that first time? If yes, why?

- And why didn't they all report him right away? If he would have been prosecuted for rape many years ago then he wouldn't have been able to continue. It seems all the women who accuse him now could have prevented lots of rapes if they would have testified against him a long time ago.

Anyone who is raped should report it right away. That will increase the chance that the perpetrator is jailed tremendously. And it will make sure the rapist won't do it again.

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Anyone who is raped should report it right away. That will increase the chance that the perpetrator is jailed tremendously. And it will make sure the rapist won't do it again.

You're forgetting no woman has any responsibility for any decision or action she makes, no matter how foolish, harmful or dangerous.

Only men can be held responsible.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You're forgetting no woman has any responsibility for any decision or action she makes, no matter how foolish, harmful or dangerous.

Only men can be held responsible.

No, rapists alone are held responsible.

The only reason rape happens is because the filth who rape choose to. 

That is the only factor that determines whether rape happens or not. 

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

epstein exploited, abused and raped these very young teenagers. 

Exploited, absolutely. Abused and raped will likely never be fully known. No question about the laws involved and the penalties he faced, and happy it finally caught up with him.

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The world is a better place with his death. 

Agree 100%

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"I feel very angry and sad that justice has never been served in this case,"

Seems like death was pretty just.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He is dead. Shouldn't they be happy about that? Or is there maybe money involved in their motivation.

Agreed. What is the point of tying up a courtroom when he isn't around to punish?

By all means have a gathering and tell each other how bad he was so one can move on, but in the court? Courts are to punish or gain money, not for psychological healing.

what really eats them is the fact that they will never see a dime

from his fortune.

He signed a will two days before his suicide...and i guess he killed himself so

they will not get his money.

otherwise, why to worry about a dead guy? the guy is dead allready,

but no, they never cared about justice. they wanted his $$$

Jeffery Epstein can still be prosecuted...They just need to find were the dead (cough cough) Kenneth Lay of Enron is living and I bet Jeffery Epsteins 1 billion dollar fortune Jeffery Epstein is living in the same neighborhood...

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seem Epstein wasn't exactly a nice guy. But until now I see only vague accusations. Maybe it was published somewhere already but I would like to know:

- How did he force them to have sex when they gave him a massage? Did he use his strength? Did he threaten them? Or did he offer them money and then they decided they like to prostitute themselves?

- Did this happen to each girl only once and then they run away and reported the rape to the police? Or did they willingly go back after that first time? If yes, why?

- And why didn't they all report him right away? If he would have been prosecuted for rape many years ago then he wouldn't have been able to continue. It seems all the women who accuse him now could have prevented lots of rapes if they would have testified against him a long time ago.

Money brings and will bring out every kook, crook and con artist hoping to feed on the carrion of profit.

They were seduced by his money from the get go, that was the only reason they went to his house to perform massages, and from what I have read, it was spelled out very clearly to them what his expectations were. In fact the more they were prepared to do the more they were paid, and don't forget some of these girls were regular visitors over an extended period of time, so they weren't under any pressure to perform services. They were in it for the money, and apparently still are.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Read the OP.

The victims were as young as 14 and 15.

And this case is in the USA not the uk. 

epstein exploited, abused and raped these very young teenagers. 

The world is a better place with his death. 

Certainly a lot of rich and powerful people will be elated that Epstein conveniently committed 'suicide', allowing them to get away with their crimes. Whereas all the victims get nothing.

6 minutes ago, jvs said:

When it happened these were underage girls,it was rape!!!!

I would have thought it was more like carnal knowledge. These girls weren't  kidnapped off the street and chained up in his basement, but went willingly for financial reward.

It is mind boggling to me that rational minds are still considering this to be a suicide. There is a greater chance of me striking gold in my garden tomorrow, than this being a suicide. 

He was taken out. He had too much incriminating evidence on too many very powerful men. This was never going to be allowed to go to trial. 

53 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I would have thought it was more like carnal knowledge. These girls weren't  kidnapped off the street and chained up in his basement, but went willingly for financial reward.

For people like you and those underage girls they made this law.When underage They are not considered capable to make the right decision,under USA law that is.

Different when they have sex with an underage boy but that is not the issue here.

Are you for real?

22 minutes ago, jvs said:

For people like you and those underage girls they made this law.When underage They are not considered capable to make the right decision,under USA law that is.

Different when they have sex with an underage boy but that is not the issue here.

Are you for real?

Different societies have totally different norms of acceptable behaviour, I believe you can get married as young as 14 with parent permission in some US states. BTW, why should it be any different with an underage boy with a female seducer? Yes, I am for real, it's not a robot responding.

He wasn't a nice guy and they were a bit tainted too. No virgins involved, just little whores and tramps. Without his money for sex they'd of most likely starved to death. Now they get lawyere up and are all little angels molested by the devil. Just bury the <deleted> and let it be. 

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:42 PM, IAMHERE said:

He wasn't a nice guy and they were a bit tainted too. No virgins involved, just little whores and tramps. Without his money for sex they'd of most likely starved to death. Now they get lawyere up and are all little angels molested by the devil. Just bury the <deleted> and let it be. 

If the lawyers are working on no payment by claimant, but paid from the winnings, if any, expect it to continue.

IMO, if the claimants had to pay themselves, win or lose, this case would never have proceeded.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:50 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

what really eats them is the fact that they will never see a dime

from his fortune.

He signed a will two days before his suicide...and i guess he killed himself so

they will not get his money.

otherwise, why to worry about a dead guy? the guy is dead allready,

but no, they never cared about justice. they wanted his $$$

Ahhh last I heard you can’t take it with you why not distribute it amongst the women (they were children)when it took place but not to that nut cracker Gloria 

As a child, school used to eat away my soul. As an adult, I've had jobs that have eaten away my soul. Everything can eat away your soul if you let it, and especially if you want sympathy and attention. Can I take them all to court please for a big pay-out for all the 'emotional trauma'? Wait, was I really expected to look after myself and take responsibility for my own actions?

How old were these women at the time? The news keeps saying 'as young as 14', then leaves that bombshell hanging. How if it was one precocious 14 year old who lied about her age out of 100? Without full accuracy we cannot judge. We should especially be wary of all the emotional manipulation. 

Recently we've seen a lot of these historical accusations being discredited, I'm surprised anyone listens to them any more. Women are masters of crocodile tears and these performances are only undermining the credibility of those women who are genuine victims, who I warrant are much fewer in number. I'm afraid I've stopped believing them all.

Archived