Jump to content

About 77,000 people with HIV live in Bangkok


webfact

Recommended Posts

About 77,000 people with HIV live in Bangkok

By The Nation

 

hiv.jpg

FILE photo

 

An estimated 77,500 people with HIV are living in Bangkok, with 1,190 of them contracting the virus this year, a deputy Bangkok governor said.

 

Pol Lt Gen Sophon Phisutthiwong, deputy governor of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, unveiled the figures on Tuesday while chairing a meeting on the measures for monitoring people with HIV via the Bangkok Smart Monitoring System. The meeting was attended by 150 nurses and computer operators of BMA hospitals.

 

Sophon said during the meeting that the BMA ratified the Fast-Track Cities 90-90-90 contract on World AIDS Day in Paris on December 1, 2014 to try to prevent more people from contracting the virus and to provide care for people with HIV.

 

Sophon said 628 of the 1,190 identified as having become infected with the virus this year are under 25 years of age.

 

He said the monitoring system found that 1,877 people died of AIDS-related complications this year.

 

Sophon said the information from the National Aids Programme of the National Health Service Office showed that 55,123 people with HIV in Bangkok are receiving anti-viral drugs and 41,893 of them have viral level of less than 1,000 copies/ml of blood.

 

Sophon said the BMA would use technology to ensure that the people with HIV in the capital would have good quality of life.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375481

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-28
Link to post
Share on other sites

An off topic post and a reply have been removed.

 

HIV can be transmitted through sexual and non-sexual routes. To focus solely on one type of sexuality as a route to infection is ill informed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a guy who has HIV.  Fortunately for him medication has stopped the disease from becoming full-blown AIDS.

 

That the fact that science has developed these drugs gives a lot of hope to people who are infected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it astounding the amount of guys I have met over here who have unprotected sex with bar girls and other hookers. Spoke to a guy at a pub one night who told me he never used condoms, and didn't see why he would need to. I've also heard from bar girls about how many guys are insistent on not wanting to wear condoms. It wouldn't take much to take Thailand back to the days of the 1980's HIV epidemic with those sorts of attitudes

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lujanit said:

I know a guy who has HIV.  Fortunately for him medication has stopped the disease from becoming full-blown AIDS.

 

That the fact that science has developed these drugs gives a lot of hope to people who are infected.

 

Because the virus can be controlled using modern treatments and not passed on once on treatment, part of the problem now is the outdated stigma that is associated with the virus because of untrue things like posting silly unrelated images in the Nation article of a guy with a spotty back or using made up terms like 'full blow Aids'  where maybe 'Aids' or the modern term 'advanced HIV' would suffice.

 

These are just examples of unnecessary, misleading an sometimes false terms and images..

 

Is this term you use 'full blown' like 'full blown diabetes' is to diabetes?

 

Or maybe similar to 'full blown heart disease' is to heart disease?

 

Or 'full blown influenza' is to 'influenza'

 

Or how about 'full blow silliness' for using these terms and unrelated images.

 

Try and not to get too exited about hiv articles as to use these made up terms then you wont become part of the problem.

 

😄

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My former GF has a brother with HIV.  In their small population 400+- Isan moo ban there are 6 others also infected with HIV, last I knew.  They are picked up every month by a van and taken to a regional treatment center where they get a check-up and supply of meds for the following month.  The brother has lived almost 15 years with HIV so the system seems to work.  

If one small moo ban can have seven HIV + individuals, then the figure of 77,000 in Bangkok seems quite plausible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dddave said:

My former GF has a brother with HIV.  In their small population 400+- Isan moo ban there are 6 others also infected with HIV, last I knew.  They are picked up every month by a van and taken to a regional treatment center where they get a check-up and supply of meds for the following month.  The brother has lived almost 15 years with HIV so the system seems to work.  

If one small moo ban can have seven HIV + individuals, then the figure of 77,000 in Bangkok seems quite plausible.

77k seems reasonably plausible anyway for a city with a high rate of male sex workers and drug issues. I think the underlying national rate is around 1%.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 7:46 PM, NightSky said:

 

Because the virus can be controlled using modern treatments and not passed on once on treatment, part of the problem now is the outdated stigma that is associated with the virus because of untrue things like posting silly unrelated images in the Nation article of a guy with a spotty back or using made up terms like 'full blow Aids'  where maybe 'Aids' or the modern term 'advanced HIV' would suffice.

 

These are just examples of unnecessary, misleading an sometimes false terms and images..

 

Is this term you use 'full blown' like 'full blown diabetes' is to diabetes?

 

Or maybe similar to 'full blown heart disease' is to heart disease?

 

Or 'full blown influenza' is to 'influenza'

 

Or how about 'full blow silliness' for using these terms and unrelated images.

 

Try and not to get too exited about hiv articles as to use these made up terms then you wont become part of the problem.

 

😄

 

It’s correct to say HIV in reference to being infected ... AIDS is the suite of symptoms from being infected with HIV. AIDS is not the virus!

its a bloody miracle I didn’t get infected in the 80’s. Drunk n stoned almost constantly for about 20 years and having sex with women sex worker all over the globe OMG 😲 !!!! 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a very close relative living with the virus for many years.

 

  Even little hospitals offer HIV groups and the medication is free.

 

  It's not a death sentence anymore to be HIV positive, if enough educated doctors are available to face the "problem." But the loss of face is one of the biggest problems in Thai society.

 

   Would schools really educate their students about the dangers and how to prevent an infection, the problem wouldn't be as serious as it is.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

 

   Would schools really educate their students about the dangers and how to prevent an infection, the problem wouldn't be as serious as it is.

The big problem now is the new generations at the highest risk weren't born when the HIV/AIDS crisis unfolded in the 1980s/90s.   Because so many HIV+ people now survive and function normally, surveys have shown younger people don't take the risk seriously, believing that if infected, they can just take a pill for a while and it will disappear, just like the clap.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...