Gas showers anyone ??

cornishcarlos

Well, for some reason we had a power outage today. No idea how long, I came back in the morning around 8:00 from martial arts classes ... power gone, but likely not for long, the fridge was ok. Around 8:10, a bit earlier, the power was back. 

Under that circumstances a gas powered shower is obviously better than a electric powered on (and cheaper in the long run), you might need to light the fire with a lighter though, as the gas powered one also uses electricity to start the flame ????

No idea about brands, though. I have a solar powered shower ????

Gas point of use showers were responsible for a number of deaths here when they were common 40 years ago (before electric became available) as were not vented and people closed shower windows during the cold season.  Recall had to physically block most of the flame to keep temp below scalding on any but the coldest days.  A real danger and would not recommend.

Showers are at most a few minutes so the electric used is not that great when compared to cooking (where gas has a valid place) IMHO.  

They tend to be quite popular in resorts where you have a number of chalets spread out in a woodland area.

Easy set up, and all gas bottles can be outside.

Heat the water much hotter than electric, but agree if the room is not properly vented and health and safety maintenance is non existant (a given) itscertainly more risky.

Electric water heaters are dangerous. They tend to have big red warning stickers that says if the ground isn't connected properly it can result in death but innocent people still die from this every year. So safety is not a reason to choose one over the other. The important thing is that the installation instructions are followed.

A disadvantage of electric water heaters is they pull a huge amount of power. A 6000 watt unit eats a whopping 27 amps of power. Some houses won't have a big enough meter, mains, and/or main breaker to handle that. Imagine two water heaters running at once like a sink and a shower the power needs could go even higher and when then considering electrical needs for the rest of the house it could be an overload.

49 minutes ago, canopy said:

Electric water heaters are dangerous. They tend to have big red warning stickers that says if the ground isn't connected properly it can result in death but innocent people still die from this every year. So safety is not a reason to choose one over the other. The important thing is that the installation instructions are followed.

A disadvantage of electric water heaters is they pull a huge amount of power. A 6000 watt unit eats a whopping 27 amps of power. Some houses won't have a big enough meter, mains, and/or main breaker to handle that. Imagine two water heaters running at once like a sink and a shower the power needs could go even higher and when then considering electrical needs for the rest of the house it could be an overload.

I do not agree that electric water heaters are dangerous at all. All modern units have earth leakage trips which should provide protection against shocks.

but your second point is valid, especially in older properties where the wiring is simply is not adequate to cope with such high loads.

It's for that reason that I shall be installing a gas fired shower unit when I upgrade our bathroom in the near future. The units I've looked at do not have an outside flue, so ventilation is important. I plan to install an extractor fan close to the heater to draw off the fumes to the outside.

I concur with earlier comments that gas water heaters do not need to be hooked up to the mains. The pilot light is usually lit using a spark from a piezo-electric system in the same way as many gas hobs are.

CO (carbon monoxide) is a silent killer! Good ventilation and a CO alarm are essential accessories for a gas heater.

Is it possible to install it on the outside of the wall (sheltered of course)?

42 minutes ago, Crossy said:

CO (carbon monoxide) is a silent killer! Good ventilation and a CO alarm are essential accessories for a gas heater.

I was thinking the same. If gas heater are dangerous then install them outside. 

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I do not agree that electric water heaters are dangerous at all.

Why disagree with factual information? People die from electric water heaters. Examples below. I could post dozens, but hopefully 3 is enough for you to understand the truth.

7 minutes ago, canopy said:

Why disagree with factual information? People die from electric water heaters. Examples below. I could post dozens, but hopefully 3 is enough for you to understand the truth.

More likely evidence of bad installation rather than inherently dangerous units.

I have often encountered exposed wires and circuit breakers installed within the shower cubicle during my travels. That's where the real danger lies, not the unit itself.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

No it's not possible to install these units outside. At least not the ones I've seen so far. The controls are on the front panel.

I'll be installing one soon in my revamped bathroom. It will include a purpose built hood which will guide the exhaust fumes to an extractor fan. That plus an always open window should take care of the CO problem.

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

More likely evidence of bad installation rather than inherently dangerous units.

Of course, but so it is with the dangers of gas units. Both types are deadly when installed improperly. Electric types kills more people but that's probably because it is more widely used. My point is you don't choose electric vs gas on a safety basis. You choose which is right for you and then make sure it gets installed properly.

1 minute ago, canopy said:

Of course, but so it is with the dangers of gas units. Both types are deadly when installed improperly. Electric types kills more people but that's probably because it is more widely used. My point is you don't choose electric vs gas on a safety basis. You choose which is right for you and then make sure it gets installed properly.

Quite so.

I lived here when gas water heaters were the norm - people still cook with gas and have in their homes but there is a very good reason they quickly converted to electric point of use water heaters when then became available.  And safety is that reason.  Safer to heat (no open flame or extreme temp change), safer to use (no carbon monoxide danger or flameout), low maintenance (gas attracts same critters/bugs to block as stoves), prefer electric lines to gas lines running in house.  

Obviously we can say many things, and some are valid, to make our case.  But for normal household usage would not even consider gas point of use again.  Been there and very happy to have departed.  Obviously you do need adequate electric to run electric but remember it is only used for a very short period of time each day so cost is not that great for operation.  Yes install with ground for best protection - but required RCCD will most likely save our life even if not installed properly (important consideration when using heater outside your known home bath).  

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

No it's not possible to install these units outside. At least not the ones I've seen so far. The controls are on the front panel.

I was hoping that they would be auto (battery) ignition on water flow so the controls only need to be set once.

No direct experience I'm afraid.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I was hoping that they would be auto (battery) ignition on water flow so the controls only need to be set once.

No direct experience I'm afraid.

Units I used were much like the electric type - front controls on the actual unit which had 4 burners that need to ignite (unless you want head in the oven effect) so you need to see that happen, make sure water splash does not cause a flame out and you are a gas bomb when try to start again.  Control of flame just as a gas stove so has to be changed according to water flow manually.  In Bangkok was total overkill and almost impossible to keep from scalding hot without manually block 2 or 3 of the burners.  These were good quality Japanese units but unless in mountains of the North really nasty hot. 

29 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But for normal household usage would not even consider gas point of use again.

To each his own. I use a gas multi-point installed outside and am very happy with it. I feel no other alternative is as good as that. I hate hot water tanks. Electric demand heaters would need to be so powerful to support the flow that they are 3 phase only. I like taking real showers, not one of those low flow trickle shower heads.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

I use a gas multi-point installed outside

You will note I said point of use.  For multi point/house systems they are a valid option and probably best.

As for shower flow you can get good amount of water through an electric heater if you have decent water pressure - but in most cases homes here can barely lift flow to a second story.  Grundfos pumps are golden.

Electrocution or CO poisoning , That's why I went with Solar water heating,

had it for 27 years,at the time it was expensive,but sure its paid for itself,

in Electricity,and replacement of water heaters,also it provides hot water

to all the sinks.

regards Worgeordie

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mazuma-4500-crystal-plus45-i283663764-s461480428.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.41b842e364pUni&search=1

Just ordered this ????

Don't need super hot, just to take the chill off in rainy season...

Interesting discussion though...

So that’s an electric shower right?.....to be honest I wouldn’t by a cheap one like that,doesn’t even look like it’s got built in safety cutout,complete lack of pictures of the internals.

17 minutes ago, taninthai said:

doesn’t even look like it’s got built in safety cutout,

The description says that it does (although it calls it an ELCB), but I don't see a "Test button".

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The description says that it does (although it calls it an ELCB), but I don't see a "Test button".

I have only ever bought sharp or Panasonic showers here,I see the Panasonic one on the link posted above????

A00C3F3E-295F-4299-BB93-0FEDDED270E5.jpeg

On 8/29/2019 at 5:58 PM, taninthai said:

So that’s an electric shower right?.....to be honest I wouldn’t by a cheap one like that,doesn’t even look like it’s got built in safety cutout,complete lack of pictures of the internals.

Just arrived today, that's damn quick !! It does have built in ELCB but no test button. I will run an separate earth cable straight outside the bathroom to a ground rod. I'll also stick an RCBO on the power supply side just to be sure ???? 

Gas was my preferred option but then for the amount it will be used, got to consider the price difference too.. If this is not great then I'll use it in our wee beach bungalow and upgrade here at home...

Archived