HOW TO USE นั่นเอง

dekdek2019

Hi all,

Anyone who speak Thai can help me to understand how Thais using the word นั่นเอง

I feel confuse how Thai use this. I give you the example below

ค้นหาคำศัพท์ นั่นเอง แปล ไทย

Thanks for help

The phrase "นั่นเอง" is used as an emphasizer, as in the following examples:

"เสื้อตัวที่หายไปอยู่นั่นเอง! แหม... หาตั้งนาน!"

[There... the shirt that I thought was lost! Geez... been looking for it for ages!]

"เพราะคำพูดลอย ๆ ของเขานั่นเอง จึงทำให้หลายคนคิดมาก"

[Precisely because he spoke so indistinctly, many people read far too much into what he said.]

"เธอนั่นเอง ต้องใช่แน่ๆ"
[It's her for sure!]

"นายตำรวจนอกเครื่องแบบคนนี้คือทวีปนั่นเอง"

[This plain-clothes policeman is Thawip himself!]

"การเลือกตั้งไม่ใช่สาเหตุ เป็นอาการ หากเข้าใจแค่นี้ไม่ได้ ก็คือไร้เดียงสานั่นเอง"
[Elections are not the cause [of disagreements], they are only the symptoms. Those who do not understand this, are simply naïve.]

Thanks for explanation David but still cannot understand the usage. I know the meaning in dictionary is "sure enough" but can you explain what this sentence is trying to emphasize

I heard people talking about two word which refer to the same thing. I give your example as below

นี่เรียกว่า A หรือ B นั่นเอง

So i want to know, does นั่นเอง emphasize the whole sentence or it emphasize that "B" is the correct. In other word, does it try to say something like ".. B, to be exact"?

Thanks

I think that you have done a good job in “to be exact” some might say “ precisely “ or “particularly.”

I see นั่น and เอง as separate words. นั่น means ‘there’ and เอง means ‘particularly’ or nothing other than the noun or verb to which it is applied

นี่เรียกว่า A หรือ B นั่นเอง  Is asking for an opinion since there seems to be two possibilities, it is difficult to see how one could emphasise the question so นั่นเอง might personalise the question. 

What do you call it?  

I know that this is the case, with or without นั่นเอง so we could just accept that this is how this type of question is asked!  

I used to ask these questions but seem to accept what I see now. 

Edit. I read your first post. 

คันหาคำศัพท์ นั่นเอง 

In that case Research word itself, there is no word given so นั่นเอง is the pronoun for the word or words to be specified. 

How about “ in each or this case” . 

Both of your questions could be exam questions and the format carried into everyday speech. 

It can mean variously himself, herself, itself, themselves, just, only, merely etc
Sometimes it's untranslatable and merely refers back to something that's being talked about in the sentence to emphasize it. In English, we may do this emphasis with tone of voice.

2 hours ago, katana said:

It can mean variously himself, herself, itself, themselves, just, only, merely etc
Sometimes it's untranslatable and merely refers back to something that's being talked about in the sentence to emphasize it. In English, we may do this emphasis with tone of voice.

I have just had a chat with a native speaker and was told that it is normal to use เอง . dekdek2019 understands it just as we do but just couldn’t make it fit, just as we can’t! 

As I said, words which I can not make much of, I ignore because the questions are understandable without them. 

Archived