Why do farangs go all the way to LOS to eat western food?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ChipButty said:

My wife is a great cook she will make anything I want she has lots of recipes for Asian Fusion style sometimes we go out to eat I get disapointed with the junk they serve poor quality

My Thai girlfriend similar. She can cook English, Italian, some Indian food, think she looks up ideas/recipes on youtube or something similar.

When we were first together always went out to eat. One time had a really unpleasant overpriced western meal in a restaurant.

She just said I can cook better than that.

So within days bought up the items to make a nice kitchenette. 

Better food than the majority of restaurants and at far better value prices.

She generally prefers Thai food herself  but can and does also eat western food.

I do still go to restaurants but it is more of a social thing, going with friends and also of course there are some western dishes I like she cannot do, or has merely not tried to.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I find Thai food dull, poor quality meat, and always over-spiced to hide the rotten taste of the meat.

I eat English, Indian, Italian or Mexican food wherever I go, most of it I can cook.

Local dishes aren't any cheaper when you cook it yourself.

Argentinian restaurants, especially the one next to Terminal 21 ????

Somehow, thai food, or any other food I eat, my gf make it more adoptable for a western, or I go to restaurants who make good mix and give healthier choices, than wat you normaly would call "real thaifood". Real thai food, what is that? Isaan food, Bangkok food, south food? The last decades, the real thai food have faded. 

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I cook and eat Thai,Indian,Western,Mexican,Italian,ect,even dishes

I makeup myself,also buy dishes from the market when too tired

to cook,eat out ,mostly Thai, Indian,wish there was a British Chinese

style takeaway nearby.

regards worgeordie

One of the things I miss here the most is western style Chinese food. I have taught myself to do some pretty good versions of it but no one can cook those beautiful big plump snappy prawns the way the chows do

I love good Thai food... And a variety of other international cuisines as well... And can and do eat them all.

But what I won't do is eat Thai street food or local stall food, where too often the materials used and the preparation methods are c**p and unhealthy and unhygienic.

Whatever I'm going to eat, it's either going to be at home where I can control the ingredients used and the preparation, or outside somewhere but only when I have some confidence they're not cooking in the gutter and getting their foods from the same place.

western standard is 50% meat 50% rice/potato

asian standard 25% meat 75% rice

...have a wild guess what i want,

yep, that is right, i want more meat

then even western standard,

like 80/20 in favor of meat,

or even more if i want to eat healthy/diet

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

I enjoy eating Thai food but there's nothing wrong with eating a bit farang grub in Thailand.

Food is just food. Who cares where it comes from!

You are what you eat.

A lot of posts on this forum are laughable. There is some delicious and healthy Thai food available.

The spicy salads are incredible and curry's delicious. I obviously eat at different Thai places than the people slating the food as tasteless and unhealthy.

Somtam thai and a spicy pork and basil with boiled rice dish shared and mixed on a plate is delicious and much more healthy than your regular western stodge dish.

Probably cheaper too.

My GF cooks kaow pat goong, pad pat ruam, mussuman curry and crumbed fish for me. She's pretty good with an omelet. Sai ua and salad goes down well. I eat Thai food from a couple of trusted street stalls and restaurants. Vegetables and fruit from the dalat nat.

Google bamboo. Very healthy food, high fibre and zero calories. Sweet corn from a roadside stall is one of the best natural laxatives around.

There are very few restaurants here that can do Western food well, so most of the time I don't bother.

14 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

western standard is 50% meat 50% rice/potato

asian standard 25% meat 75% rice

...have a wild guess what i want,

yep, that is right, i want more meat

then even western standard,

like 80/20 in favor of meat,

or even more if i want to eat healthy/diet

I guess that's why vegetarians live longer, on average.

10 minutes ago, NightSky said:

A lot of posts on this forum are laughable. There is some delicious and healthy Thai food available.

and much more healthy than your regular western stodge dish.

Probably cheaper too.

More healthy than western food? Both can be healthy or unhelthy. Laughable? It is just an opinion on personal taste, nothing else. 

I think cheaper is the core of your statement, 

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes-the message is awfully hard to pin down and somewhat ambiguous. ????

I think he means that if you want a decent sausage roll don't go to SiSaKet.

It's a long way

to the shop

if you want a sausage roll!     AC/DC

13 minutes ago, NightSky said:

The spicy salads are incredible and curry's delicious. I obviously eat at different Thai places than the people slating the food as tasteless and unhealthy.

Somtam thai and a spicy pork and basil with boiled rice dish shared and mixed on a plate is delicious and much more healthy than your regular western stodge dish.

Probably cheaper too.

Exactly, lots of good Thai food around, but you don't get it at the food court or for40 baht.

good food ain't cheap, and cheap food ain't good.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

why would expats eat western food routinely when local dishes are so much cheaper and just as good?

Do they? I don't. And I don't hang with expats so I can't judge.

Most of the people I see in Western food joints are Thai.

What I don't understand is why so many holiday in Thailand and spend much of their time drinking and hanging out in bars.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I find Thai food dull, poor quality meat, and always over-spiced to hide the rotten taste of the meat.

I eat English, Indian, Italian or Mexican food wherever I go, most of it I can cook.

Local dishes aren't any cheaper when you cook it yourself.

'Over spiced to hide the rotten taste of meat' is an ignorant racist trope originally used to denigrate Indian food. I suspect you are too poor to eat good Thai food, some of which is considered to be the best cuisine in the world.

My experience after decades here is that foreigners make all sorts of excuses but in the end they don't like Thai food and they don't eat rice 2-3x a day.

I'm of the opinion that the UK and Northern Europeans can't handle the heat if nothing else. May go for South Americans also.

That's another reason why you see TV posters spouting off about spending 50 60 80k a month. Restaurants and $$ home cooking.

I do tire of white rice on occasion but never of noodles. I go through phases when I'll keep bread in the house.

The funniest people are the ones with special diets be it vegans or gym freaks. Lots of times this just masks the fact they can't deal with Thai food.

Everyone is so quick to pronounce how much they love Thai food but the reality is the opposite.

I love Thai food and it saves me a fortune. It's not easy to live in a country and to admit you hate the food. This isn't the Congo.

By the way - chicken fried rice is not Thai food lol

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

My experience after decades here is that foreigners make all sorts of excuses but in the end they don't like Thai food and they don't eat rice 2-3x a day.

I'm of the opinion that the UK and Northern Europeans can't handle the heat if nothing else. May go for South Americans also.

That's another reason why you see TV posters spouting off about spending 50 60 80k a month. Restaurants and $$ home cooking.

I do tire of white rice on occasion but never of noodles. I go through phases when I'll keep bread in the house.

The funniest people are the ones with special diets be it vegans or gym freaks. Lots of times this just masks the fact they can't deal with Thai food.

Everyone is so quick to pronounce how much they love Thai food but the reality is the opposite.

I love Thai food and it saves me a fortune.

By the way - chicken fried rice is not Thai food lol

i think your experience is dead wrong,

i like the flavor of thai food, but as always in asia its not enuff meat innit, cheap fux

Archived