Why do farangs go all the way to LOS to eat western food?

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

i think your experience is dead wrong,

i like the flavor of thai food, but as always in asia its not enuff meat innit, cheap fux

You can have them put as much meat in it as you'd like. Just ask.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

You can have them put as much meat in it as you'd like. Just ask.

i did plenty of times, but i think its something about religion or principle, they wont have any of it, they dont get the concept of balanced meal.

they were raised their way with their standard, i was raised western standard,

asia standard = no muscle & half the population on diabetes due to over consumption of rice at the expense of meat

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

One of the things I miss here the most is western style Chinese food. I have taught myself to do some pretty good versions of it but no one can cook those beautiful big plump snappy prawns the way the chows do

Chinese food is pretty bad outside the UK or USA.

When I was in China it was downright inedible (I was shocked at how bad it was).

46 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Do they? I don't. And I don't hang with expats so I can't judge.

Most of the people I see in Western food joints are Thai.

What I don't understand is why so many holiday in Thailand and spend much of their time drinking and hanging out in bars.

You can't be serious

Ah, is this another installment of The Big Nose who's Thaier than Thou, thing?  :coffee1:

Anyway, sure, I like Thai food but don't chain myself to it.  Why?   I really enjoyed Arabic food, and the food of their various slaves, while living in the Gulf for many years, but I didn't do it 7x a week.  Nor did I with Greek living in Greece.  Or Japanese living in Japan.  I wasn't choking down hot dogs and hamburgers every day in the US of A either.

I've recently developed a craft beer fetish after a couple months abroad, so I'm all into that, spending over the odds in Thailand for it, but it's a nice change of pace from swilling the local Thai <deleted> soaked in ice cubes.  You gotta live a little! 

The heading is misleading,  I doubt anyone has moved to Thailand just to eat Thai food. I've been here for a couple of decades and have never eaten Thai food. I like to cook for myself as I am fussy about hygiene and freshness, something that cannot be guaranteed in food places.

Just now, Sticky Wicket said:

Absolutely soulless places that I never frequent.

Yeah, but the mall food court around my area, Thai Muslim dude does a really nice stewed beef on yellow rice.  Plop some of the spicy green goo sauce next to it.... not too shabby for next to nuffin' cost wise.

12 minutes ago, madmen said:

You can't be serious

I think or hope what he means is there's lots to see and do in the country and people that hole up in pubs are just wasters. Id agree.

When I was a backpacker I never spent times in trendy pubs wasting my money and precious time although Myanmar, Lao and Cambodia were more my thing. I would recharge for a week on ksr and later in Pattaya. <deleted>tonna of old men here that haven't seen much of the country past their beer glass.

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

Yeah, but the mall food court around my area, Thai Muslim dude does a really nice stewed beef on yellow rice.  Plop some of the spicy green goo sauce next to it.... not too shabby for next to nuffin' cost wise.

Yeh it's a Thai version of biryani , normally with chicken. That's called Khao mok gai.

Not had the beef one, sounds good

4 minutes ago, JWRC said:

The heading is misleading,  I doubt anyone has moved to Thailand just to eat Thai food. I've been here for a couple of decades and have never eaten Thai food. I like to cook for myself as I am fussy about hygiene and freshness, something that cannot be guaranteed in food places.

Food is fresh. I rarely get the squirts, few times a year. Off to loo and done. I've only had food poisoning (mild) twice in thirty years in Asia and I'll pretty much eat it all. If somewhere was really dire I'd not eat there, too much choice.

Ironic the food bothers you but not the pussy.

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

Food is fresh. I rarely get the squirts, few times a year. Off to loo and done. I've only had food poisoning (mild) twice in thirty years in Asia and I'll pretty much eat it all. If somewhere was really dire I'd not eat there, too much choice.

Ironic the food bothers you but not the pussy.

Not had food poisoning for years. However when I lived in BKK I had it several times

50 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

BTW you can still get an absolutely rockin bowl of noodles as well as many items 'over rice' with a fried egg for 40-45B.

Food courts are of course horrible places to eat.

I find the soup here dreadful. I have had some good soup mainly in more remote areas but rarely. Problem for me is nothing here cooked for any length of time. No real stock same as the Viet people cook Pho. Stew bones and vegetables for 2 or 3 days. Most soup Ive had here tastes like its chicken powder and water, which seems to get weaker and more tasteless as the day progresses.

26 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Absolutely soulless places that I never frequent.

i also dont find the appeal about the food courts,

its...sterile dining room crowded,

and the food aint nuffing to write home about,

and as ever, meat deficit as far as the eye can see

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

I find the soup here dreadful. I have had some good soup mainly in more remote areas but rarely. Problem for me is nothing here cooked for any length of time. No real stock same as the Viet people cook Pho. Stew bones and vegetables for 2 or 3 days. Most soup Ive had here tastes like its chicken powder and water, which seems to get weaker and more tasteless as the day progresses.

Could not disagree more but there are many types of soup. Surely boat noodles full of flavor. It's even savory.

Are you in BKK?

Chinese food is pretty bad outside the UK or USA.

When I was in China it was downright inedible (I was shocked at how bad it was).

Chinese food outside of China isnt really Chinese food lol. I lived with a Chinese girl for a time and a lot of their food is based on health beliefs but tastes awful. Food in China is dreadful

I should qualify that. Its dreadful to my tastes but not to a Chinese. And everyone has their own tastes. The Chinese do take some care with their food.

16 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

One thing I would definitely say is Thai food is the perfect accompaniment to an ice cold beer.

disagree. and it took me a very long time, i think a year,

to come to the realization that water is the only kind of beverage that goes with thai food.

that was a setback for me personally since i hate water,

but i found a good compromize: always ask for a bit of lime to squeeze down into the water

6 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Could not disagree more but there are many types of soup. Surely boat noodles full of flavor. It's even savory.

Are you in BKK?

Im up country Isaan. Savoury will not be anything to do with natural flavour. 

7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Chinese food outside of China isnt really Chinese food lol. I lived with a Chinese girl for a time and a lot of their food is based on health beliefs but tastes awful. Food in China is dreadful

yep, eggs boiled in pee makes wonders for girth,

behold mr funny hung -> well hung transformation

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

I do tire of white rice on occasion but never of noodles. I go through phases when I'll keep bread in the house.

One of the core problems with a lot of Thai food, especially the cheap stuff, is white Thai jasmine rice is one of the most unhealthy things you can eat, and sticky white Thai rice is even worse. Both spike your blood sugar levels like crazy, and don't provide much nutrition other than carbs in the process.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One of the core problems with a lot of Thai food, especially the cheap stuff, is white Thai jasmine rice is one of the most unhealthy things you can eat, and sticky white Thai rice is even worse. Both spike your blood sugar levels like crazy, and don't provide much nutrition other than carbs in the process.

Yeh I only eat brown rice, it's got a much better texture and is nutritious

I happen to enjoy fresh veggies with a bit of chicken, shrimp, or fish filet stir fried or combined with curry and coconut milk over white rice...

The closest thing to western food is tuna/broccoli soup and a salad at the mall from time to time...

Fried chicken wings and fries are also a favorite at home...as is the red "devil fruit" as desert after a meal...????

Cos their beef is like rubber, the chicken is just a Petri dish of viruses. I don’t eat pork full stop. Fish is all from polluted rivers, or “no it’s a farmed fish” where the water has come from canals from the main river or from bores where terrible chemicals have leached  into ground.

I just drink beer, pasta, cheese and toast and and meat pies. 

Archived