Why do farangs go all the way to LOS to eat western food?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

And there you have it folks.

Just got to the bottom of the first page - typical Thai Visa answers.

NEGATIVITY.

I avoid Thai restaurants like the plague - IN MY HOME COUNTRY OR EUROPE!

Overpriced and bland.

16 years of living here, my local market town must have over 50 restaurants, some absolutely wonderful, all edible, and all serving good, healthy, excellent value, great tasting food.

I really just don't get why people are even here.

Ah right, yeah the p#ssy.

Jesus what a sad bunch of cultural losers.

The oft quoted common phrase is just so apt for the vast majority of whining, wingeing , moaning expats here.

Ya don't like it - f##k off back home!

You may feel better if you just open up and express your real inner feelings.

Tell it like it is!!

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Yeh it's a Thai version of biryani , normally with chicken. That's called Khao mok gai.

Not had the beef one, sounds good

It is ok for 60 Baht, quick and easy in that venue.  Learned to seek out the few skull cap joints around my town, they don't have any hang ups about beef, Alḥamdulillāh.

PS:  Biryani. ????????  Mrs. got pretty good at that in and among the Nepalese staff.  Not "quite" as good as my dear Krishna and the lads, but she's pretty darn good.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

One of the benefits of living in Bangkok or Pattaya is the widespread availability of western food, plus other Asian cuisines.

Thai food is ok, but no one would want to eat it all the time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hey Brewster, hope u and the wife are well, hows your kid doing???

there is great dining in Bangkok , Thai or western. 

I eat at the local now and again for a treat. A lot more of a high Thai dining experience, but like any good food in Bangkok, pull out your wallet.

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If you grow vegetables, and have chicken, duck and pigs, I believe it is called Thai food if you cook it in Thailand? 

Good point.  Seem to recall a laarb muu pizza.  Or a Burger King krapow muu with an egg, boiled in oil covered by a slab of fake cheese.  A Thai version of Western, in Thailand.  Thai food. ???? 

OP can feel secure in his Thainess dining alongside other Thais, of which there are many, in these types of places.  Perhaps attack a large pepperoni doused in fish sauce with a set of chop sticks, then take a selfie.  That's like 100 Thai cool points right there.  You're "in". 

7 hours ago, madmen said:

Sugar in everything, 70% high carb White rice and slivers of poor quality meat. Msg in everything, I no longer touch it and much prefer cooking Western veges and fish or pork etc at home

Yes, totally agree with you. Do your own cooking and it's fun too. Like my girl said, "If only you are just as good in bed, it would be perfect".

Oh, avoid using highly processed cooking oil, just use lard, no you wouldn't die of heart attack.

ASK the Thais. I saw the men Thai golfers go abroad for less than a week, and they bring full cooking regalia into the hotel rooms so they can cook Thai food. I assumed when i saw that it was because they could not get any authentic Thai food otherwise. 

Weird question, do you think we eat only local food in our home countries?

Tons of arabic/turkish, italian, french, spanish, indian, chinese, thai, american, vietnamese, mexican, japanese etc all over europe - why limit yourself? 

In general farrang are far more open to different food than asians...

2 hours ago, Brer said:

Cos their beef is like rubber, the chicken is just a Petri dish of viruses. I don’t eat pork full stop. Fish is all from polluted rivers, or “no it’s a farmed fish” where the water has come from canals from the main river or from bores where terrible chemicals have leached  into ground.

I just drink beer, pasta, cheese and toast and and meat pies. 

With that diet, what are you forecasting as your life span?

33 minutes ago, meand said:

ASK the Thais. I saw the men Thai golfers go abroad for less than a week, and they bring full cooking regalia into the hotel rooms so they can cook Thai food. I assumed when i saw that it was because they could not get any authentic Thai food otherwise. 

Probably, but that also tells you a lot about their narrow aperture in life, eh? 

My wife isn't a hard core Thai, rolling around on the floor at some temple, scooping rice to monks. 

We leave, she adapts easily, loves being outside of Thailand, and isn't reserved about pointing out the weak points of her country, nor am I about mine and/or the good parts, which we both realize about Thailand.

So yeah, she loves steak, and prime rib with au jus and horseradish, and fancy street tacos in So. Cal, and over the border in Tecate, and a Carl's Jr. $6.00 burger.   She whacks out Thai food whenever she gets the notion for it in my Mom's kitchen, for everyone, and isn't shy about having some spicy Mama noodles at 10pm, if that's what she wants.  I (actually my sister insisted) took her to a Thai restaurant in So. Cal 10 years ago - that was the first and last time we ever dun that.  Why?  "Ugh!  Get me to Ving Dong Ding Dong Asian Market, I do better!", is her constant refrain ever since.

When we return to Thailand, as we've just done 2 weeks ago, she's not jonesing for it.  But sure, within a few days of unpacking and cleaning the house, she'll rock up with the girls for some Somtam, spicy noodles and a 2 hour Thai massage.  Nice to be back, for sure, but she's not in distress about being out of Thailand.

5 hours ago, brokenbone said:

western standard is 50% meat 50% rice/potato

asian standard 25% meat 75% rice

...have a wild guess what i want,

yep, that is right, i want more meat

then even western standard,

like 80/20 in favor of meat,

or even more if i want to eat healthy/diet

We go to western places for the vegy! Always order a real good chef's salad plus a meal with vegy.

Also the Thai can't cook meat, they don't have it, don't know how to cut it, to marinate it, to fry it, to serve it, not even have steak knives...

I wished they sold higher quality take away food in Thailand, more healthy, fresh ingredients, good meat....i would pay a higher price for that.

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

People who say "veggie", "hubby", "wifey" and "She who must be obeyed", annoy the farkin' s**t out of me.  ????

@Jingthing  I should know your on-line persona well enough by now but I'm curious, were you laughing with or at me in the previous ^.  Doesn't matter, I'm just curious at my wrinkle of interpretation.

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

People who say "veggie", "hubby", "wifey" and "She who must be obeyed", annoy the farkin' s**t out of me.  ????

17 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

@Jingthing  I should know your on-line persona well enough by now but I'm curious, were you laughing with or at me in the previous ^.  Doesn't matter, I'm just curious at my wrinkle of interpretation.

Oh jeezus, I must look desperate, but Jingthing is on-line, and you know he's paying attention to his notications.  Bing. Bing. Bong!  Or perhaps i'm on his block list, so he didn't see or hear them.  Say it in Donald Trump's Manhatten New York voice: "Like, OMG, the Block List, like, it's the biggest and best Block List, EVERrr!". 

And all the more reason to not give a s**t.  Still, it was interesting to me to know which part of my comment made him Laugh Out Loud.  Was it the part about women?  Or the part about immasculated former Englishmen men, bowing down to their ex-bar girl wives in Thailand, calling them "She Who Must Be Obeyed"? 

If Jing takes A-Fence, and reports me for annoying him against forum rule #69, please don't keel-haul me for it!  I'm just kidding around!  Go easy on me, please!

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

It was sincere. I was relating to your comment and also found it funny. I almost never use that Ha ha response to indicate dislike but I realize it's often used that way in response to my posts.

Just now, Jingthing said:

It was sincere. I was relating to your comment. I almost never use that Ha ha response to indicate dislike but I realize it's often used that way in response to my posts.

True.  OK, thanks.  Glad you got a chuckle. 

22 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

on topic, i need meat in my 'tummy'

or im not a happy camper

agree, after I eat thai food, with the usual 2 slithers of pork or chicken, I feel somethings missing, need a big steak. thai food makes me HUNGRY FOR MEAT... big time

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

... Google bamboo. Very healthy food, high fibre and zero calories. ...

OMG.  Here in the USA (Richmond, VA), my wife has scoped out 3 or 4 places where we are welcome to collect bamboo shoots in the spring season.  Sooo good!  We boil them, fry them, dry them.  On one picking spree, I filled the short bed of my Toyota pickup to the top of the bed. 

I love the Thai and Vietnamese dishes my wife makes.  I'm vegetarian so it's adapted.  No sugar or MSG, though there's soy sauce.  The various noodle dishes (Yam woon sen) and "pot stickers" (dumplings) are wonderful. Special occasions demand the big deep-fried Vietnamese spring rolls with the rice wrapper.  The ones with noodles and pork or tree ear fungus depending on your tastes.  Spicy tamarind dipping sauce - heaven.

13 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Food is fresh. I rarely get the squirts, few times a year. Off to loo and done. I've only had food poisoning (mild) twice in thirty years in Asia and I'll pretty much eat it all. If somewhere was really dire I'd not eat there, too much choice.

Ironic the food bothers you but not the pussy.

I never said the food bothered me I said it was my choice not to eat it. I am a woman so your last comment is way off the mark, just goes to show, one should never make assumptions, then again typical of the gutter talk that seems to prevail on this site.

8 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Why do some western people care what other western people eat?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Indeed-a sort of peeping thru' the lace curtains every few minutes to ascertain whether the "neighbours" are keeping to the rules.????

Apparently this set of rules is about being "Thai-er than Thai"

I'm off to eat a whale blubber sandwich-see you later!

Archived