Why do farangs go all the way to LOS to eat western food?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One of the core problems with a lot of Thai food, especially the cheap stuff, is white Thai jasmine rice is one of the most unhealthy things you can eat, and sticky white Thai rice is even worse. Both spike your blood sugar levels like crazy, and don't provide much nutrition other than carbs in the process.

Yes but you don't need to eat a lot of it. I always ask for half rice or khao nii tiew.

6 hours ago, madmen said:

Especially when re used 10 days straight By the KFC carts

If it was so dangerous, it would probably not be for sale and accepted by most countries in the world. Maybe not so good for you, but there is many things that is not. Beer is probably killing some people and to much pasta will be the cause of another ones death. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:04 PM, PatOngo said:

Because I can afford to!

That's not the reason I was looking for. I like Asian food as much as western food. Do westerners not like it or just not prepared to try something different? Actually I prefer Asian food to western. 

Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't expected so many responses.

19 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Thai food is quite bland and very expensive in America...

Thai food is cheap cheap cheap here...

I didn't specify Thai food as I don't like food with chillies. However, Asian food of all sorts is available in LOS, which I like better than western food. Westerners eat far too much meat, which is really bad for us. Asian diet of rice with vegetables and a little chicken or fish is better.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:04 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One of the core problems with a lot of Thai food, especially the cheap stuff, is white Thai jasmine rice is one of the most unhealthy things you can eat, and sticky white Thai rice is even worse. Both spike your blood sugar levels like crazy, and don't provide much nutrition other than carbs in the process.

If high blood sugar spikes killed us I'd be dead long ago as I eat way too much sugar all my life.

Wheat is about as bad as it gets- my friendly health practitioner tells me it's because of the chemicals they use to grow it.

Anyone that thinks western diet is more healthy than Thai food is dreaming. Everything in the supermarket is chock a block full of chemicals.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If high blood sugar spikes killed us I'd be dead long ago as I eat way too much sugar all my life.

Wheat is about as bad as it gets- my friendly health practitioner tells me it's because of the chemicals they use to grow it.

Anyone that thinks western diet is more healthy than Thai food is dreaming. Everything in the supermarket is chock a block full of chemicals.

western food is more healthy for the simple fact its a whole lot more meat in the dish.

the less carbs the merrier for anyone above 30 years old,

not to mention there can be no satisfaction on meat deficit, always craving, always discontent

• 2 weeks later...

Just eat whatever you like. That's what Thais do.

Most Thais also refuse to eat Thai food all the time. 

After a certain amount of time, "foreign" food just gets adopted as part of the culture, like curry was in Britain. 

"Korean" BBQ has well and truly crossed-over and the Thais aren't giving it back. You'll be hard pressed to find one that resembles BBQ the way it's done in Korea, but they sometimes give a nod to its origins by calling it Korean BBQ. 

Starting around 200 years ago, noodles were made here by Chinese immigrants fleeing war and famine and was constantly updated by new arrivals who continued to flee to Thailand up until the early 20th century. The Thais saw the noodles, said "I'll have some of that," and never looked back. Look how Thai the noodles have become now. 

Spicy spaghetti made for Thai taste buds is available all over the country now. 25 years ago you could only find it in a yucky red sauce at hotels and restaurants that expect some foreign customers.

Because Thais also eat foreign food in Thailand.

Archived