Illegal luxury cars seized

webfact

Illegal luxury cars seized

By Kriangkrai Rattana
The Nation

800_699d53f4e9174dd.jpg?v=1566974172

Police have seized 14 luxury cars in the North that had allegedly been illegally imported and given the registration numbers and vehicle identification numbers of wrecks as to avoid detection, a senior police officer told the press in Chiang Mai province on Wednesday.

74910.jpg

Provincial Police Region 5 deputy chief Pol Maj General Jamnong Rattanakul said the 14 cars were divided into three groups: seven vehicles that had taken the car registration numbers and VIN numbers of cars damaged beyond repair in road accidents; two cars that had assumed those of other vehicles in other parts of Thailand so they could be used in the North; and five cars – four Nissan 350 Z models and one Mini Cooper – that had been imported without paying full custom taxes.

74914.jpg

The seven cars in the first group, for which registration numbers and VIN numbers had been obtained via auctions of wrecks, would have gotten away with it had their drivers not been caught speeding, he explained.

When police summoned the motorists to pay fines and found the car owners didn’t match the car registration information, a police investigation was launched, resulting in the vehicles being confiscated, he said.

The current car owners included drivers duped into buying second-hand cars as well as those who knowingly bought the illegal cars, he said, urging people to be more careful when buying second-hand cars.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375497

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-28

53 minutes ago, webfact said:

Police have seized 14 luxury cars in the North

Luxury as in squinting thru one eye .. the wrong way down a telescope .. 

55 minutes ago, webfact said:

seven cars in the first group, for which registration numbers and VIN numbers had been obtained via auctions of wrecks, would have gotten away with it had their drivers not been caught speeding, he explained

Old trick this and only a matter of time before you get caught out if you break traffic laws that require the vehicles details .. 

Luxury cars??? I expected BMW, Mercedes, Lexus.

This scam has been in play for about 5 years in CNX. I was approached to buy one, a BMW at 25% the cost. All servicing, repairs and yearly paperwork through one contact person. Told if you have an accident NEVER go to the BIB. My thoughts was the one contact person disappears and you are sunk; or that person was in coalition with the BIB. Buy today and expect BIB knocking on your door in the morning. Then there are the nosy local neighbors who will chat oh farang has so much money has new BMW, jealousy sets in.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:58 PM, Justgrazing said:

Old trick this and only a matter of time before you get caught out if you break traffic laws that require the vehicles details .. 

I wonder how many " cut and shut " cars are on the roads here.

I suspect the number would be in the Thousands.

I wonder how many " cut and shut " cars are on the roads here.
I suspect the number would be in the Thousands.

When I first arrived in Surin over a decade ago, there was a fiberglass Lamborghini Countach in one of the car shacks. Probably as Italian as grub from Pizza Company!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

When I first arrived in Surin over a decade ago, there was a fiberglass Lamborghini Countach in one of the car shacks. Probably as Italian as grub from Pizza Company!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There used to be a black one of those appeared now and then around the pattaya area, powered by a massive 2.5 litre nissan engine ????.

I last saw it in the car park of the cop shop on the 331 a few years ago. Stories went around it was changing hands at around a million baht. Looked quite rough at the time.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:42 PM, NCC1701A said:

"American high school kids cars seized."

On 8/28/2019 at 3:58 PM, Justgrazing said:

On 8/29/2019 at 7:02 AM, legend49 said:

Luxury cars??? I expected BMW, Mercedes, Lexus.

On 8/29/2019 at 8:27 AM, ronaldo0 said:

Luxury ?? ????????????

The term "luxury cars" in Thailand refers to the prices, not to the perceived extra comfort or status of them.

Archived