Are phone numbers supposed to be reportable

Brer

Whenever I have entered Thailand over the years I have purchased a SIM card for my mobile phone.

Years ago I just purchased over the counter, no need for passport or any ID. 

I then just topped up on arrival. A couple of times I had lost the SIM card (due to changing back to Aussie card when in Oz) and purchased a new card and noticed that I had to supply passport and where I was staying from memory. I was told this was because the government insisted that all SIM cards had to be registered. Last month I bought another new card but was never asked for any form of ID , was this a slip up or have things changed?

21 hours ago, NightSky said:

Sim cards have been registered for years, its now mandatory.

Maybe the card you purchased will need to be registered to activate it. 

She put it in my phone for me in the shop. I have topped it up a couple of times too works fine.

I've had my SIM card for fifteen years now, well, not the exact same one but ones using the same number.  I've lost count of how many times I've had to register it.  They seem to want to do it whenever you have a new one or even ask a question about it.  Yet it never seems actually to be registered anywhere that anyone can access.  I suspect the usual Thai huge mountain of paper somewhere in a warehouse.  Yet the threats of being cut off for non-registration continue unabated.  I bet the criminals didn't bother working at the registration process as hard as I have.

Archived