Pound drops as fears of no-deal Brexit grow

Jonathan Fairfield

7 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

"He denied he was seeking to prevent parliament from obstructing his Brexit plans."

He has no Brexit plans.

Do you know him personally and consult with each other on a daily basis?

If not, then it is only your opinion, which is worth as much as anybody else's here.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

1 THB = 1 GBP coming

Unless you let Boris the Great perform his magic!

14 hours ago, taninthai said:

Sweet would love it ......I could sell everything I have in Thailand go back Uk and be a multi millionaire ????????????????

14 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

1 THB = 1 GBP coming

Unless you let Boris the Great perform his magic!

Ha Ha Ha not quite that bad surely!!!

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Do you know him personally and consult with each other on a daily basis?

If not, then it is only your opinion, which is worth as much as anybody else's here.

You mean he has plans but he's just not sharing them with anybody? Why not?

4 hours ago, shaurene said:

No no he is not, it was already running into the ground. He is doing what the people voted for. The EU will screw UK into the ground as punishment. We do not need a deal. Many countries have already confirmed they will and want a free trade deal with UK. 

USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AFRICA AND A NUMBER OF ASIA COUNTRIES. 

Within a year of leaving UK will be booming. 

We will. Have our old fishing areas back.

you all thinking negatively. 

Perhaps you should take some time off and address parliament. Let them know what benefits would accrue and would be best for Britain, because for the life of me I can't see any.

As for free trade deals, you do realise it takes about one year to even reach agreement, let alone another two years to implement it. (Time scale quoted from US trade deal stats.) 

As for the EU, it's the UK that is negotiating to leave, not them.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Except for the fact that the wonderfully unified and cohesive British parliament have already had the best part of the previous 3 years to prevent no-deal.

Enough is enough and as much as I despise BoJo and the shamelessly duplicitous Tories, just DO IT. If it's a bad deal they wanted, then MP's should have gotten behind Theresa May when they had the chance. She did graciously grant them three attempts to do this. Conflating the now very real prospect of no-deal as some validation for a second referendum is where the opposition aka remainers lost the collective plot, went totally off-plan and bogged down any chance of the UK leaving with a better deal earlier.

As pointed out in an earlier post, if a no-deal Brexit needed so much additional debate, why didn't our elected parliamentarians and that gobby House Speaker not raise the prospect of FORGOING the summer recess to get this sorted?

3/10

Must try harder!

Apart from the deleted part, I agree. As for the 'Just Do it' - that applies to both the government and parliament. One way or another let's get clarity before the pound drops to zero.

3 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Perhaps you should take some time off and address parliament. Let them know what benefits would accrue and would be best for Britain, because for the life of me I can't see any.

As for free trade deals, you do realise it takes about one year to even reach agreement, let alone another two years to implement it. (Time scale quoted from US trade deal stats.) 

As for the EU, it's the UK that is negotiating to leave, not them.

Well the EU has been negotiating with Brazil and Mercosur for some 20 years though at this point I cannot find the link. I'm sorry.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have no idea what his plans are, other than to get the UK out of the EU on 31st October.

My Buddha - that's a plan? Never would have thought of that being so simple.  But it does beg the question; What then?

Hold a GE?

or something else nobody's thought of? All I see is a government pledge to mitigate the adverse effects of a No-deal. And I thought it was going to benefit Britain...

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Well the EU has been negotiating with Brazil and Mercosur for some 20 years though at this point I cannot find the link. I'm sorry.

Well if that anything to set your stall out on, I guess the UK has a long wait ahead before striking any new deals.

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

It will take decades to recover significant value.  Mind you it was overpriced for years too.

It wasn't overpriced. It was valued highly due to UK's highly privileged status in the EU and also being Europe's financial capital. Now it is over and pound is valued as such.

1 minute ago, Bigz said:

It wasn't overpriced. It was valued highly due to UK's highly privileged status in the EU and also being Europe's financial capital. Now it is over and pound is valued as such.

“Privileged status in the E.U.”...

Must admit that I nearly p!ssed myself when I read that one.

5 hours ago, shaurene said:

No no he is not, it was already running into the ground. He is doing what the people voted for. The EU will screw UK into the ground as punishment. We do not need a deal. Many countries have already confirmed they will and want a free trade deal with UK. 

USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AFRICA AND A NUMBER OF ASIA COUNTRIES. 

Within a year of leaving UK will be booming. 

We will. Have our old fishing areas back.

you all thinking negatively. 

Woohoo! About 10 thousand fisherman will do well after Brexit in the UK. I can sleep well tonight. 

Just now, Jip99 said:

“Privileged status in the E.U.”...

Must admit that I nearly p!ssed myself when I read that one.

Then I guess you don't understand that for one thing, the UK is not required to join the Eurozone. Which is a very good thing indeed.

For another it was specifically exempted from the aspiration, such as it is, for an ever closer union.

"It is recognised that the United Kingdom, in the light of the specific situation it has under the Treaties, is not committed to further political integration into the European Union. The substance of this will be incorporated into the Treaties at the time of their next revision in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Treaties and the respective constitutional requirements of the Member States, so as to make it clear that the references to ever closer union do not apply to the United Kingdom."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35622105

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Far better than being a whining bitter pessimist any day.

You mean an optimist like Neville Chamberlain?

What's best is to be a realist.

Then there is that old joke about someone who jumps off a high building and says "So far, so good." 

59 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

My Buddha - that's a plan? Never would have thought of that being so simple.  But it does beg the question; What then?

Hold a GE?

or something else nobody's thought of? All I see is a government pledge to mitigate the adverse effects of a No-deal. And I thought it was going to benefit Britain...

So what would YOU do?

58 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Well if that anything to set your stall out on, I guess the UK has a long wait ahead before striking any new deals.

Remember that for the EU all 28 (including the UK) members have to agree.

When the UK wants a trade deal with another country there are onlu 2 players in the game.

11 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You are a very clever person to be able to make a statement like that.

And you are type that read an article about the shape of bananas in the Sun and made and informed decision according to that.

43 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Remember that for the EU all 28 (including the UK) members have to agree.

When the UK wants a trade deal with another country there are onlu 2 players in the game.

It would still take at least 3 years to implement an agreed deal. Try that on with S Korea, and we could be waiting many more years. 

14 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Hold a GE. Let the parties state their positions and let the country vote.

Another vote, why?  If I remember correctly we had a vote 3 years ago and the majority voted OUT.  So whether any of us like it or not, that was the decision, so let's get on with it.

Archived