Pound drops as fears of no-deal Brexit grow

Jonathan Fairfield

12 hours ago, Senior Player said:

The markets don't like uncertainty which is why it keeps dropping. Until the UK finds it feet again and is allowed to sort out its trade deals, the Pound will be stuck in this perpetual limbo. 

The pound drops again as the possibility of a no deal Brexit grows.  Just imagine how it will bomb if it actually happens.  Fortunately I moved my business base to Europe and my trading currency is now the Euro so I am actually benefiting as it falls further.

But I wonder how long the Brexit debate will really go on for?  Let's not be naïve enough to think that after we leave everything will be resolved and we can move on.  British politics lays in tatters and will never recover from all the deceit and lies in my lifetime. This will drag on for years and years with accusations and counter accusations being thrown around every single day. Britain has become a laughing stock and completely embarrassing.  Leaving the EU will not heal any wounds.  I intended to stay in the UK for a few more years before retiring to Spain or Italy but it will now be sooner rather than later.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Forecast: an exchange drop to around 32 baht to the pound up to October 31st - and falling under 30 baht if we crash out with a no-deal??

Read on TV: MANY British pensionado's in TH voted for a Brexit. So, they are going to get for what they voted for… BACK HOME...

13 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The pound drops again as the possibility of a no deal Brexit grows.  Just imagine how it will bomb if it actually happens.  Fortunately I moved my business base to Europe and my trading currency is now the Euro so I am actually benefiting as it falls further.

just imagine if you moved it to Thailand. Many of us sold up and took all our money to Thailand whilst the usuall experts were saying never deposit even 1 baht in a thai bank or the SET or condos etc and keep yourt money safe in your home countries

What a bunch of idiots :-)))

50 minutes ago, mikosan said:

Another vote, why?  If I remember correctly we had a vote 3 years ago and the majority voted OUT.  So whether any of us like it or not, that was the decision, so let's get on with it.

A GE is not a referendum initiated by the Tory party, however much you'd like it to be. And as far as decisions are concerned, it is up to government/parliament to make them, not voters. 

Bear in mind, I'm not against change by any means. But it has got to be the right approach, with the right plans and right benefit aim for Britain. So far, that criteria has been sorely lacking by the Tory government - fortunately soon to be voted out of power for generations.

That would be an appropriate change, not some cobbled together brexit shambles.

7 hours ago, shaurene said:

No no he is not, it was already running into the ground. He is doing what the people voted for. The EU will screw UK into the ground as punishment. We do not need a deal. Many countries have already confirmed they will and want a free trade deal with UK. 

USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AFRICA AND A NUMBER OF ASIA COUNTRIES. 

Within a year of leaving UK will be booming. 

We will. Have our old fishing areas back.

you all thinking negatively. 

Yes, and Horatio Nelson will blow the wistle again, Kitchener and Gordon in charge, British Raj again...

You think, Tesko, Asda, Sainsbury, Morrisson will accept, supermarket Started on Barefood gets a better deal as they get ?

The EU with 450 mln consumers a lesser deal as nit-noy England ?

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Remember that for the EU all 28 (including the UK) members have to agree.

When the UK wants a trade deal with another country there are onlu 2 players in the game.

You forget that very often one of these 2 players already have an agreement with the EU, a much larger trade entity and consumer market as the small England. Of course.. small England can conclude a deal faster… when you give enough ...

1 hour ago, mikosan said:

Another vote, why?  If I remember correctly we had a vote 3 years ago and the majority voted OUT.  So whether any of us like it or not, that was the decision, so let's get on with it.

Yes, OUT... whatever consequences… When we have to remove Parliament.. no problem.

I hope the Scots and the N.Irish take the same conclusion: "LEAVE". 

2 hours ago, Bigz said:

Woohoo! About 10 thousand fisherman will do well after Brexit in the UK. I can sleep well tonight. 

Fishing industry in 2017 statistics published - GOV.UK

27 Sep 2018 ... It includes details on the UK fleet, the number of fishermen, the quantity andvalue of UK landings, international trade, worldwide fishing and the ...

11 minutes ago, madmen said:

just imagine if you moved it to Thailand. Many of us sold up and took all our money to Thailand whilst the usuall experts were saying never deposit even 1 baht in a thai bank or the SET or condos etc and keep yourt money safe in your home countries

What a bunch of idiots :-)))

I still have some land in Thailand and a property in Chiang Mai.  The plan is to wait until after Brexit and then sell it.  However getting the money out of Thailand is not always that easy.  In the meantime the land and property are rented out and that brings in an income of sorts.  It all goes into my Bank account there.

But it is fair to say that anyone who did move all their money to Thailand and now wants to capitalise on that investment by moving it back to the UK would make a profit.  In which case they should be hoping for a no deal Brexit before doing so.

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Hold a GE. Let the parties state their positions and let the country vote.

And if the people still want to leave, I assume that you would carry on with Brexit?

If the people want to stay that makes it 1 referendum all. So will you allow the leavers to have a third referendum?

If not then why not?

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

A GE is not a referendum initiated by the Tory party, however much you'd like it to be. And as far as decisions are concerned, it is up to government/parliament to make them, not voters. 

Bear in mind, I'm not against change by any means. But it has got to be the right approach, with the right plans and right benefit aim for Britain. So far, that criteria has been sorely lacking by the Tory government - fortunately soon to be voted out of power for generations.

That would be an appropriate change, not some cobbled together brexit shambles.

But there was a general election in 2017.

So we have had a referendum and we have had a GE. Now what?

quote "Bear in mind, I'm not against change by any means. But it has got to be the right approach, with the right plans and right benefit aim for Britain."

Who should decide what are the right plans and right benefit aim for Britain?

Monex Europe,  1 Bartholomew Lane, London, EC2N 2AX , www.monexeurope.comNetherlands Office +31 (0)20 808 1660,  Spain Office +34 91 143 00 20

www.monexeurope.com

GBP. Sterling weakened yesterday, but remains above the multi year lows seen earlier in the month. Boris Johnson prorogued Parliament from September 9th to October 14th, significantly raising the pressure on Parliament ahead of next week’s return from recess and drawing criticism on constitutional grounds. The conservatives hold a narrow working majority in the Commons but the party is divided and Conservative rebels seeking to avoid no deal are threatening to vote against the Government, either in passing legislation mandating a delay in October, or in an outright vote of no confidence.

Parliament has two options.

The first is to try to pass legislation mandating an extension in October. The Government and loyal conservative MPs can resist this by slowing the motion down in the House of Lords, interfering with Common’s attempts to control its own schedule, declaring tactical public holidays to prevent the Commons from sitting, or even asking the Queen to delay giving royal assent to the bill. All of these options may lead to civil unrest or even a complete breakdown in constitutional order.

Parliament’s second option is a Vote of No Confidence. Under the Fixed Term Parliament Act, Boris would get to choose the timing on the next election if the Government failed to demonstrate its holding the confidence of the Commons within 14 days of a VONC. Government sources have said he would hold the election after October 31st, ie after the UK has left with no deal. Therefore the only way a VONC would prevent no deal would be if an alternative Prime Minister demonstrated they could hold the confidence of the Commons and form a “caretaker” government with the sole objective of delaying Brexit and holding an election while still in the EU. This would mean Conservative rebels would need to vote their own government down and vote for a Corbyn Government.

Sterling is trading slightly lower compared to the week’s highs, but on the whole Johnson’s constitutional chicanery does not represent a material increase in no deal risk compared to the substantial downside already priced in. The key developments that would knock sterling lower are Parliament failing in its resistance next week, or the EU rejecting Boris’s negotiation efforts. Both are plausible outcomes.

Conservative Rebels may hesitate in taking the ultimate step of voting no confidence in their own Government and delivering Corbyn to power while EU negotiations are ongoing. EU negotiations are still probably set for failure unless one side offers significant concessions. The near term outlook for sterling is therefore still deeply uncertain, with at least one extremely critical vote in the commons likely to see massive volatility.

Keep it coming I say it will fillet out some of those sad-sack Leaver/losers in life who cheer on their own demise and make Thailand a nicer place for those that saved, invested and planned ahead. And at the end of the day, anyone who thinks this is a shining beacon of sovereignty, that it's a positive a PM elected by 0.2% of the population has got permission from a hereditary royal to sack off parliament in order to force through something 34% of Brits voted for because of tabloid hysteria, targeted advertising paid for by dark Russian money, and some lies on the side of a bus...

Well words fail me. I know prole education is supposed to keep them weak willed and subservient by design, but even I'm staggered by how thick some people are. 

9 hours ago, shaurene said:

No no he is not, it was already running into the ground. He is doing what the people voted for. The EU will screw UK into the ground as punishment. We do not need a deal. Many countries have already confirmed they will and want a free trade deal with UK. 

USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AFRICA AND A NUMBER OF ASIA COUNTRIES. 

Within a year of leaving UK will be booming. 

We will. Have our old fishing areas back.

you all thinking negatively. 

In case it works, it looks like a very liberal and global economic model. Me stupid, I thought many people voted Brexit because they were against liberalism and globalisation!

Well, maybe it's not me stupid....

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

I still have some land in Thailand and a property in Chiang Mai.  The plan is to wait until after Brexit and then sell it.  However getting the money out of Thailand is not always that easy.  In the meantime the land and property are rented out and that brings in an income of sorts.  It all goes into my Bank account there.

But it is fair to say that anyone who did move all their money to Thailand and now wants to capitalise on that investment by moving it back to the UK would make a profit.  In which case they should be hoping for a no deal Brexit before doing so.

Wise words from someone who has assets. Truth is most of those who voted leave did so out of a lifetime of anger and despair. Their bitterness has had temporary relief from some abstract belief they have taken back control and sorted out Johnny Foreigner - a sharp smack in the face from baht despair is a healthy antidote to their stupidity. Apologies to those who didn't vote leave or now regret it it these dolts who are to blame. I hope their idiocy will not triumph. 

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

Read on TV: MANY British pensionado's in TH voted for a Brexit. So, they are going to get for what they voted for… BACK HOME...

Sod off we don't want them and they wouldn't be able to afford it. So they live in limbo smoking away on their increasingly desperate pipe dreams believing they have won something. 

14 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Yes, it is about time opposition to a no-deal by MPs is coordinated to prevent it happening. Currently, there's so much infighting amongst MPs who are (as usual) failing to get their act together, that Johnson is having a free ride to his eventual downfall - and unfortunately, also the UK.

IMO, this provocative anti-constitutional act by Johnson could be enough to see him off after a no-confidence vote is passed during September, after parliament  - as is their constitutional democratic right - has taken over HoC business and issued a new law to prevent a no-deal.

However, hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Batten down the hatches as it's going to be a long painful ride for sterling, whatever happens. 

Forecast: an exchange drop to around 32 baht to the pound up to October 31st - and falling under 30 baht if we crash out with a no-deal??

it's going down faster than a bullet train

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

it's going down faster than a bullet train

The proles will get restive when they discover Brexit is a bucket of sick emptied into their laps not the Shangri-la of idle fortune they'd been promised. But these old geezers frantically tapping away to pass away the moments in a dull day may soon get a harsh reality check unless of course it is a visit from the Grim Reaper....(whose a Leaver btw - he love chaos/war/famine).

10 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Not all pessimists are bitter, or whine. They just keep their expectations lower than most people.,

I think most remainers school term report cards said at one time, "Perpetually sets low targets and consistently fails to achieve any of them."

2 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

it's a coup d'état! that is what is

That's far too Francophile for my liking.

I prefer to think they've just had the rug pulled from under them.

And after the Queen agreed, they just had the rug royally pulled from under them.

There is also that old admonishment to "S h i t or get off the pot" that seems quite apropos.

Keep it coming I say it will fillet out some of those sad-sack Leaver/losers in life who cheer on their own demise and make Thailand a nicer place for those that saved, invested and planned ahead. 
I'm staggered by how thick some people are. 

Can’t say that I’ve seen many Leavers on here moaning about the exchange rate, not as much as all those Remainers.

Do you think the stoic Leavers could be the ones who planned their savings and investments, while the bitter and vituperative Remainers are the ones who’ve got it wrong and now going back to Brexited Britain?

I’m staggered how thick the ‘ficker than us’ brigade are too.

2 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Can’t say that I’ve seen many Leavers on here moaning about the exchange rate, not as much as all those Remainers.

Do you think the stoic Leavers could be the ones who planned their savings and investments, while the bitter and vituperative Remainers are the ones who’ve got it wrong and now going back to Brexited Britain?

I’m staggered how thick the ‘ficker than us’ brigade are too.

Well Mr Turkey we know how you voted in the Christmas Referendum. 

image.jpeg.26fe26a20118e1c88b3b955b3c0d7f91.jpeg

Archived