Pound drops as fears of no-deal Brexit grow

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally predictable and as previously stated it will be Valentines day at the earliest before daylight appears between the post-brexit pound and the mickey-mouse institution we're abandoning.
Totally predictable that Hard Brexiteers don't have a clue. Setting up one imaginary date in the future after another for when the upside is going to happen.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If the Parliamentary opposition to Boris shows next week that it is able to get its act together in blocking no-deal Brexit, then Sterling is potentially heading for a substantial bounce. The markets are not yet convinced that this will happen which is why Sterling is still staying low but holding there. Game not over.

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Perfect, will save me a fortune to take my family to the UK in Oct.

Thank God  for Brexit, all I can hope for more is Scotland leaving the UK.

Same 37 as when I came here in Oct 1992.

Scotland leaving the UK, It won't happen. Even though your anti British sentiments show your bias they had a referendum in 2014, the once in a generation vote, were more people voted to remain in the UK.

You have more chance of other countries leaving your precious EU IMO.

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Scotland leaving the UK, It won't happen. Even though your anti British sentiments show your bias they had a referendum in 2014, the once in a generation vote, were more people voted to remain in the UK.

You have more chance of other countries leaving your precious EU IMO.

However, in percentage terms more people in Scotland voted to stay in the EU in the Brexit vote in 2016 (62% to 38%) than voted to stay in the UK in the independence referendum in 2014 (55% to 45%). So, logically the Scottish people could very well decide to leave the UK in order to stay in the EU - that is if they are allowed another referendum.

Sophon

On 8/30/2019 at 11:27 AM, <deleted> dasterdly said:

"It's up to the incoming government to decide what happens next."

Actually, the incoming govt. is supposed to carry out their manifesto - not decide afterwards "what happens next"!

There was a GE in '17 (IIRC) - and the remain supporting parties lost badly.  Both the conservatives and labour manifestos were to respect the referendum result.

Yes, the tories lost a lot of seats in the GE, and I hope to one day find out why they came out with other policies that would clearly lose them a lot of votes.....

Well maybe Labour will state the same when a GE is called. Only their main aim is to stay in the customs union and possibly the single market. 

16 hours ago, elliss said:

Does Corbyn have an agenda ?.  

He is totally inadequate , Labour party is not effective in opposition .

We get what we vote... Tory party are indeed  blessed , having Corbyn as opposition leader. 

All part of the plan ? ...

Quite agree, I have no idea why he hasn't been turfed out.

41 minutes ago, Sophon said:

However, in percentage terms more people in Scotland voted to stay in the EU in the Brexit vote in 2016 (62% to 38%) than voted to stay in the UK in the independence referendum in 2014 (55% to 45%). So, logically the Scottish people could very well decide to leave the UK in order to stay in the EU - that is if they are allowed another referendum.

Sophon

Do you think people in Newcastle should be allowed to remain in the EU, whilst there neighbours Sunderland be allowed to leave?

It was an UK referendum.

Do you think people in Newcastle should be allowed to remain in the EU, whilst there neighbours Sunderland be allowed to leave?
It was an UK referendum.
London would jump tomorrow at the opportunity to stay in and leave the northern grumpies to their nationalist wallow

If the Parliamentary opposition to Boris shows next week that it is able to get its act together in blocking no-deal Brexit, then Sterling is potentially heading for a substantial bounce. The markets are not yet convinced that this will happen which is why Sterling is still staying low but holding there. Game not over.

Actually bought some Sterling on Friday towards the end of business. Not a big deal but in anticipation of that potential anti no-deal bounce. The rate not as good as earlier in the month, but should I have waited? Next week exciting.

5 hours ago, Sophon said:

Sophon

Surely the last one they had was a once in a lifetime referendum.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1679026082111982

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/19/alex-salmond-accused-rewriting-history-lifetime-referendum-pledge/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/17/scottish-independence-referendum-yes-no-agree-once-in-lifetime-vote

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/snp/alex-salmond/news/84391/alex-salmond-i-never-said-independence

Seems to me its the ones on Benefit Scams want in , intelligent Brits dont like giving money to idle folk.! So they want out. So would i Brits give far too much away whilst keeping their senior citizens bottom of the Pension League.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Seems to me its the ones on Benefit Scams want in , intelligent Brits dont like giving money to idle folk.! So they want out. So would i Brits give far too much away whilst keeping their senior citizens bottom of the Pension League.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
Variations on the £350m battle bus malarkey.

GBPTHB dropping below 40 was a psychological shock. The next uncomfortable wall is 36. = 10% further drop from 40. The 'can it hold 39-38-37?' Chatter getting softer.

Hard Brexit stupidity might just get us there.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Money won't buy you happiness.

Yes it will. Insulation from the idiocy of others for one. And the laughter of others as proud TV Brexit pensioners meekly return to the UK while swearing that the collapse of the Pound is what they wanted all along.

And the UK they return to will still be full of 'Pakis', 'Asylum seekers', 'Nig nogs' and the rest. Nor will Boris care about you. Your patriotism is miguided.

10 minutes ago, baboon said:

Yes it will. Insulation from the idiocy of others for one. And the laughter of others as proud TV Brexit pensioners meekly return to the UK while swearing that the collapse of the Pound is what they wanted all along.

And the UK they return to will still be full of 'Pakis', 'Asylum seekers', 'Nig nogs' and the rest. Nor will Boris care about you. Your patriotism is miguided.

It's good to see you havn't lost your sense of humour bonny lad.

Actually, Hard Brexiteer nationalism is right on the money there. 25-30% trashing of Sterling and accompanying excuses has got to be one of their finest achievements. Clowns the lot of them [emoji1782]

16 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Actually, Hard Brexiteer nationalism is right on the money there. 25-30% trashing of Sterling and accompanying excuses has got to be one of their finest achievements. Clowns the lot of them emoji1782.png

It makes little difference to people living in the UK , (what the Pound /Baht exchange rate is)

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It makes little difference to people living in the UK , (what the Pound /Baht exchange rate is)

Indeed it doesn't makes a difference today, but it will in the future, since that pound doesn't only decline against that Baht but about every currency in the world so future imports will get more expensive in pounds.

Don't you think the importers and retailers gonna increase their prices towards the consumer?

Archived