room rental hiidden charges

terryc

we are living in a priate nice room and paying 8000 bart per month.

however 2 weeks on we have been told that there will be a final clean bill (few hundred bart) and a month is actually only 30 days hmm

im wondering do i:

challenge both these issues,

challenge just one of them

Accept that i am just bum tourist

She is a helpful lady, but im the sort to hold my ground if i can. September bookings are not rollin in just yet!

im a about to pay 3 months rent to secure the room next to mine?

Is she taking the p++ or have i got it wrong

Personlly, I wouldn't experience this problem in any place. Why?. I'm that kind of people who loves to put the dots on the i(s) from the first day. I always think it's extremely important.

Now, if I was in your place, I'd pay those 100s she requires.

And there's kind of conventional thing: when you usually speak of a month, it's counted as 30 days. Exampe: if you book a hotel for a month from 1th of Feb, you do not leave at the end of Feb. You leave March the 3rd (Feb=28).

So, you have nothing to challenge

Did you rent the room for August and now want to move to a room next door that is better and are trying to get one day of rent back?  So now the owner is giving you a few excuses to avoid doing that?  

That is is what I can guess from this.  Money doesn’t often come back.  Once paid it is gone.  If you like where you are, and want to extend to another 3 months I would just eat the 200 baht, or so of one day rent.  Cleaning charge ...I don’t know, that seems to be the way for Airbnb, not for hotels, and depends for apartments, so what is your place most like?

Negotiate that out based on new rental of three months?

ive decided to run with the current on the basis that she is helpful lady. I can be a bit paranoid.

Anyway she explained that if i book on the 1st i get the full calender month. Any other day i get 30 days. She says that she is copying the hotel model.

someone on here just get the Whole deal agreed at the outset..I think thats my TAKEAWAY

2 hours ago, terryc said:

my place is a private house with a few adjacent rooms/bungalows..

i will remained chilled and submit a balanced review. upon my departure

Your “balanced review” may be seen as “pissing in someone’s rice bowl”. 

3 hours ago, Los Luver said:

Personlly, I wouldn't experience this problem in any place. Why?. I'm that kind of people who loves to put the dots on the i(s) from the first day. I always think it's extremely important.

Now, if I was in your place, I'd pay those 100s she requires.

And there's kind of conventional thing: when you usually speak of a month, it's counted as 30 days. Exampe: if you book a hotel for a month from 1th of Feb, you do not leave at the end of Feb. You leave March the 3rd (Feb=28).

So, you have nothing to challenge

I suspect the OP is trying to suggest a month is 31 days, which is not valid.

In fact '1 month' has several definitions according to why someone / anybody is trying to make calculations which involve '1 month'.

365 divided by 12 = 30.416 which is not generally upped to 31, therefore it would be in whole numbers 31.

Other calculations of one month using the number of 28.7 + 1 month, again it depends on why you are trying to make calculations involving 1 month.

I've also seen 1 month expressed as 365 divided by 13 (meaning 13 period of 4 weeks), then divided by 12....

Which is correct in terms of 1 month? It's not 31!

3 hours ago, amykat said:

Did you rent the room for August and now want to move to a room next door that is better and are trying to get one day of rent back?  So now the owner is giving you a few excuses to avoid doing that?  

That is is what I can guess from this.  Money doesn’t often come back.  Once paid it is gone.  If you like where you are, and want to extend to another 3 months I would just eat the 200 baht, or so of one day rent.  Cleaning charge ...I don’t know, that seems to be the way for Airbnb, not for hotels, and depends for apartments, so what is your place most like?

Negotiate that out based on new rental of three months?

This whole subject can be debated forever with 200 different interpretations and possible charges etc.

Years back I stayed in a hotel in Karachi which was billed as 5 star. In reality it was 2 star on a good day and they had the cheek to try to charge me (using a voice typical of Pakistani / Indian double <deleted> talk) for the notional laundry charge for a non existent terrorist SWAT team.

I laughed at them and in the presence of the hotel GM I called my county ambassador who indicated he would send a SWAT team by helicopter to extricate me from the hotel and fly me to a navy ship, from my country just offshore.

He also indicated that he had the foreign minister from the country involved waiting on another line. The hotel GM backed off and trembling indicated that my room charges and all charges would be cancelled and I got offered afternoon tea in the garden using the finest most freshly picked tea leaf tips. 

Archived