UK Passport Renewal By Post

5 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

But I thought they checked your documents before sending them to the UK. If so, they should know what "Evidence of address" documents from Immigration are acceptable? But maybe I'm wrong and they don't know. 

And the gov.uk web site has no email address for enquiries - you have to phone them at ~1.50 a minute.

But it isn't black & white, it is not in there remit to give advice that might be contradicted at a later date.

On 8/31/2019 at 11:15 AM, theoldgit said:

Yes, easy and negates the need to pay agents fees, at least if you live within a couple of hours travel of Trendy, not so easy or cost effective if you live in the sticks in the extreme parts of the country.

Indeed. Beats me as to why we Brits are no longer permitted to renew our passports by mail as we were prior to 2014 - and, indeed, our American cousins can still renew theirs:-

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

If security concerns lie behind HMPO's requirement for the 2 enforced route marches at passport renewal time to and from Bangkok (or, thankfully for those living in that part of the world, Chiang Mai now), then all I can say is that the US State Department - who, after all, aren't exactly renowned for a lackadasical attitude to such issues - don't appear to share them!

On 8/31/2019 at 3:20 PM, JetsetBkk said:

Nice idea, but here is the list of "Evidence of name and address and/or residency" as specified in "Table A" of "Applying for a passport from outside the UK - Supporting Documents":

Name and address and/or residency evidence
Please provide one of the following:
• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority
• educational record eg school report
• employment record eg official letter from your employer
• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department
• medical/health card
• voter’s card
• immigration documents.

I don't have any letters from the government and I don't think a copy of my pickup's registration book would suffice. 

And you're right, it would have to be translated and certified (Notarized?). We can't expect these UK types to be able to read Thai.

Beats me as to why we're required to provide address/residency proof in the first place, given that HMPO don't courier our replacement passports directly to us these days. Pure bureaucracy for pure bureaucracy's sake, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/31/2019 at 11:15 AM, theoldgit said:
On 8/31/2019 at 11:11 AM, essox essox said:

last Oct I went to Trendy House with all my paperwork...

Then received a mail to say can collect new passport, so went Bkk again and signed/collected new passport..

Easy and DO NOT have to pay agents fees !!!

Yes, easy and negates the need to pay agents fees, at least if you live within a couple of hours travel of Trendy, not so easy or cost effective if you live in the sticks in the extreme parts of the country.

Here's a catch 22 situation:

I fly to Bangkok from Phuket and get all my documents accepted at Trendy Office. I get my passport back.

Will it be defaced (corner cut off)?

Can I then use that passport to fly back to Phuket?

Can I use it to fly to Bangkok again to collect my new passport?

Anybody done that?

19 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I fly to Bangkok from Phuket and get all my documents accepted at Trendy Office. I get my passport back.

Will it be defaced (corner cut off)?

Can I then use that passport to fly back to Phuket?

Can I use it to fly to Bangkok again to collect my new passport?

Anybody done that?

No, they don’t cut the passport when you lodge the application, they may do so when the passport is collected.

Yes, you can use it as ID for internal travel, but the Passport Office advise that it’s not valid for international travel once the application has been submitted, though I’ve heard some people have done so.

Strictly speaking a passport isn’t required for an internal flight, though it might be required at a hotel.

11 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

No, they don’t cut the passport when you lodge the application, they may do so when the passport is collected.

Yes, you can use it as ID for internal travel, but the Passport Office advise that it’s not valid for international travel once the application has been submitted, though I’ve heard some people have done so.

Strictly speaking a passport isn’t required for an internal flight, though it might be required at a hotel.

Thanks OG - I was hoping they wouldn't cut the old passport until they give you the new one. So then you can use it to fly back to your Thai house. 

I was also thinking that maybe a Thai driving license would be acceptable as ID for boarding an internal flight, if they did cut the passport.

So my plan is to get an early flight, go to Trendy for the appointment, and get an evening flight back.

Ditto when collecting the passport.

An alternative would be a VIP overnight bus which hopefully wouldn't need a passport as ID, but I have no knowledge of their requirements.

Archived