BTS adds 27 more trains to serve Bangkok commuters

webfact

15 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"The BTSC does not run a frequency lower than 2.45 mins in peak hour..."

It does, I've timed them several times, including this afternoon. From Onnut into town at 3.40pm today, exactly one minute after the train I just missed pulled out the next one arrived.

You are expressing the mistake that I refer to in the post above. Try timing it from a point on the platform with exactly the same event of both trains. Arrival, departure, doors opening or closing, it doesn't really matter just as long it is the exactly same event at exactly the same point on the platform. (Unless there is a network delay which holds a train at a platform).

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The context and content of my comment does not need explanation, neither does it have to fit the explanation that he has allegedly explained once before!  

I can express what I see as the time between trains the way I experience it, particularly when, as far as most users are concerned, the time between trains is the time it takes for one to arrive after the next has left.  If you really want to wait until the arriving train leaves the platform just add on 30 seconds.

I can give you the operations managers number at BTSC (or Crossey can) and he'd be grateful to know this ("exactly one minute") as he would sack the driver immediately as well as order an urgent rectification of the wireless signalling problem allowing this to occur.

I'm sure you'll time a couple services less than the headway times I have specified, but the point is the overwhelming majority of timings will accord with those frequencies. The BTSC policy is that it is not safe to do anything less than 2:10-2:20 in their view. That doesn't mean it may not change in future years.....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

Honestly, this is Just Weird!

All are welcome to correct, challenge or seek clarification and granted that expression can always be more clear. However, please, please, please at least quote correctly and get your cities correct! Otherwise, it seems just weird to reply?

What I wrote: "No where in the world runs less than a 90 sec frequency and that is only done in Hong Kong and Shanghai. You cannot really run a metro line safely less than 90secs even with high frequency signalling." The context of that statement was in reply to, "Currently trains arrive within a minute or two of each other"

What you quoted by me was; "nowhere in the world doing that..." then somehow you confused Singapore and Shanghai, "HK and Singapore,"

Anyway, the point about frequency or headway that you need to time it from the same objective point and the same event. Eg. stand at the front of the train and once the train comes to a stop time it from when the doors to when the next train train arrives, stops and opens it doors. Or just when the train comes to a stop. Point is, it needs to be the same point on the platform and the same event from one service to the next.

Many will rely on a perceived experience rather than an actual, object timing. This is where many make the mistake of thinking trains arrive quicker than they do. Most people use an experiential time from when one leaves the platform to when they see the next train arriving thus mistaking the timing and also missing the dwell time at the platform for unloading & loading. If you did this in Hong Kong in peak hour, the next train would literally seem to arrive 20-30 secs after the previous one has departed!

Oops, so I misread Singapore for Shanghai, so sorry, My apologies, but both those cities are "in the world" which makes a mockery of your claim that "nowhere in the world does that".   

Also, whether it's shanghai, Singapore or Scunthorpe, it doesn't alter one word of my point that was relevant to my timing the BTS.  If a train arrives at the platform one minute, two minutes, or whatever, after the last train left that is how I determine the time between the two trains because that is the time that passengers have to wait.  If the train I get on arrives, say, two minutes after the one I missed left, there is a two minute time difference between them, not only in fact, but also as far as I'm concerned.

21 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

I can give you the operations managers number at BTSC (or Crossey can) and he'd be grateful to know this ("exactly one minute") as he would sack the driver immediately as well as order an urgent rectification of the wireless signalling problem allowing this to occur.

Why would I want to speak to the Operations Manager or get the driver sacked?  All I care about is the time between one train leaving and the next arriving, if you doubt my timing that's your problem, not mine, and that time period, timed my way, is not unusual.  In peak hours, from Asoke the next train waiting at Nana can be seen and as soon as the Asok train pulls away the Nana one starts off and how long do you think that it takes for the BTS to travel between Nana and Asok?

Archived