18 cases in one day for Patong’s lifeguards in Phuket

webfact

18 cases in one day for Patong’s lifeguards in Phuket

By The Thaiger

69274014_413178515981042_106415951144445

PHOTOS: Patong Surf Life Saving

Busy day for Phuket’s local lifeguards as they saved 17 people from the waves off Patong, and one one the Beach Road.

Yesterday (August 27), Patong Lifeguards reported that there were a total  of 18 people rescued, all in a day’s work at Patong beach. They said the situation was very challenging, with limited manpower, equipment and poor weather conditions hampering their efforts.

“The main goal was to save every person’s life by using our team working skills”.

The cases included one middle eastern tourist, one Thai girl, four Chinese tourists and eleven Europeans. All of them were saved without having to send any of them to the hospital. There was also a case just behind the beach when a European tourist had an accident on the beach road. The teams provided first aid and called the Kudoldham rescue team to transport the victim to the Patong hospital.

Daren Jenner, spokesperson for the International Surf Lifesaving Association SE Asia, says that prolonged winds from the southwest monsoon created dangerous conditions over a wide area of coastline from Satun in the south to Ranong in the north.

“The dangerous conditions span nearly 300km, the entire length of Thailand’s west coast.”

These conditions are predicted to worsen through the weekend.”

“The International Surf Lifesaving Association wishes to stress that posting red flags alone is not enough to keep beachgoers safe from the current conditions. Trained and tested ocean lifeguards are needed to prevent unnecessary drownings.”

Source: Patong Surf Life Saving

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/weather/18-cases-in-one-day-for-patongs-lifeguards-in-phuket

14 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Europeans or Russians or Australians? Im kind of amazed there are any Europeans going to Patong, dreadful place.

I went there once, 3 days, I am 'patong'd out. never felt the need to return. good luck to those who like it, enjoy it, rave about it, however, not for me ever again...… maybe I was spoilt by experience of other places in thaiand…. 

55 minutes ago, jastheace said:

I went there once, 3 days, I am 'patong'd out. never felt the need to return. good luck to those who like it, enjoy it, rave about it, however, not for me ever again...… maybe I was spoilt by experience of other places in thaiand…. 

So relevant....to nothing.

Articles like this "should" show authorities that lifesaving is an important part of Phuket.  Unfortunately the skim just isn't there for them, so lifeguards and their budget aren't a priority.

To digress, a couple friends of mine who have been coming to Phuket for 20 years and are out surfing daily in Kata tell me they have pulled out literally a couple hundred drowning tourists there over the span of their 3 month annual visits.

Paying for trained lifeguards has never been a priority here for gov't officials.

Many member post “thai really hate us” “want us to leave, TM30” etc etc

If this true, then why the Thai people danger there life to save foreigner? Everyday. 

Everyone know danger to swim west coast this time of year. Why this people not listen? Red flags yesterday on Patong. 

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Everyone know danger to swim west coast this time of year. Why this people not listen? Red flags yesterday on Patong.

They're on holiday and left their brain at the airport, that's what holidayers do....

6 hours ago, beechbum said:

So relevant....to nothing.

Unfortunately we attract them like bees to honey.

'Bro' wot's that all about? I think you should call him 'Dude' in your rebuttal. ????

Kamala has red flags out at the moment but guess who is paying attention to them- no one!

If people are so stupid they should be left to it- they are putting other lives at risk.

11 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Europeans or Russians or Australians? Im kind of amazed there are any Europeans going to Patong, dreadful place.

Yep Partong is pretty horrible, like most of Pattaya. Maybe the Euro and Aussie trash brigade go there? I sure see lots of dickehead swandering and staggering about, Drunk Russians and other nationalities riding madly on scooters with no helmets, acting in very disrespectful ways towards the Thais. 

I go to Phuket every few years but not Patong (except for the yummy Arabic food restaurants on Second road at the southern end :). I can afford good hotels and small resorts at the high end and love my swimming and the peacefulness of the southern west and or Surin, Bang Tao, and Kamala beaches. Riding the scooter about and having a chill lunch somewhere quiet and with great scenery ????

Archived