Car Battery - What is the difference other than 1000Baht?

Formaleins

On 11/11/2019 at 9:22 AM, Jessi said:

My experience with car batteries in Thailand. First two were G.S. brand which lasted just over 1 year. I had a flat battery while in Korat, the shop sold me a G.F. Battery, it was 200B cheaper than the G.S battery's @1,600B... This G.F Battery is now 5 years old so Im looking for a new one.

No one seems to sell the G.F battery and keep trying to push the G.S. onto me saying "Same same".

This morning I found a BOSCH battery on LAZADA. I find BOSCH products to be very good but I have no knowledge about their car battery's.

Any members have info about BOSCH battery's....good or bad?

The branding on the battery in no way relates as to who actually made it.

I can recommend (if you can find it) Supercharge from the Philippines. Outstanding batteries with a very low failure rate during the warranty period.

We rebranded these as our own.

The recovered warranty batteries we resold under another label mostly to car dealers wanting to offer a "new" battery with a 6 months warranty.

The Atlas brand from the largest battery manufacturer in Korea also seemed a pretty good product as well but I still always buy Supercharge where I can.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 11:23 AM, johng said:

I was told by a shop selling 3K brand batteries that the actual battery case ( not the cardboard box)

are only marked with L for left   and if no marking at all then it must be a R   ???

Hi.

That's sort of correct but left is subjective. You must always look at the battery with the posts nearest to you to determine left and right.

Often taking a photo is the best way to match the battery correctly. Do not be talked into making a battery fit.

The main label will also be on this side. It seems redundant in a way as car manufacturers always have the terminals facing away from a point of contact in an attempt to minimise the chance of a battery induced fire.

I have seen a hole burned right through the metal bonnet by someone who fitted the wrong battery with the posts nearest the front of the car...

Expensive lesson...

11 minutes ago, Billthekiwi said:

I can recommend (if you can find it) Supercharge from the Philippines. Outstanding batteries with a very low failure rate during the warranty period.

The recovered warranty batteries we resold under another label mostly to car dealers wanting to offer a "new" battery with a 6 months warranty.

The Atlas brand from the largest battery manufacturer in Korea also seemed a pretty good product as well but I still always buy Supercharge where I can.

So are you saying these BOSCH Battery's are fake?

Never heard of supercharge in Thailand.

Some of you have mentioned keeping the power on to a vehicle. If you don't open the doors or the boot a small 9v battery will keep the memory.

However if you fail all is not lost. After installing the new battery turn on the ignition but do NOT start the vehicle. Wait at least 90 seconds.

Turn off the ignition. Then turn on the ignition again and start the car normally. All should be well although if your car's radio has a code you will need to re-enter it.

If you have a Range Rover do not lose power because you also have to reprogram the windows several times. All the way up and then all the way down. Rinse and repeat until they re-learn... a right pain.

You can hook a power source to the main terminal on the alternator and to any earth. Much easier than trying to handle the battety terminals.

32 minutes ago, Jessi said:

So are you saying these BOSCH Battery's are fake?

Never heard of supercharge in Thailand.

Lol...

What's fake? Somebody maybe paid to use that label. It may be made under license. I did not say that it was fake.

Some Exide batteries were made in China for Exide. They may not be quite as good (perhaps they are better now) but they are not fakes.

According to Alibaba some/all Bosch batteries are manufactured in China.

I've never looked for Supercharge in Thailand myself as I don't own a vehicle, just a motor scooter.

Looks to be sold primarily in NZ Australia and I suppose the Phillipines. Too bad.

Edited by Billthekiwi
Additional information.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:27 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I will wait till it dies, as we can get a my father-in-laws pick up to drive into the local town and get one there, suffice to say, worse case scenario, it doesn't start one day, kids can go to school in the father-in-laws pickup, we buy the battery while there and change it ourselves.

That is not the worst case scenario. I suggest your wife/girlfriend is up in the hills on her own and it fails......

I changed the one on our Everest at 3and3/4 years even though it was showing reasonably OK on test.

Even trying to find a new battery when you are 100 miles from home on a rainy night is not a good scenario either

YMMY

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

That is not the worst case scenario. I suggest your wife/girlfriend is up in the hills on her own and it fails......

I changed the one on our Everest at 3and3/4 years even though it was showing reasonably OK on test.

Even trying to find a new battery when you are 100 miles from home on a rainy night is not a good scenario either

YMMY

Six months plus and the battery is still going strong.

Wife never drives the car at night, only in the morning and afternoon taking the kids to school, 25km up the road and 25km back up the same road, her chauffer does all the other driving, and if the battery dies when she is driving, she is a big girl who can handle herself.

I also have access to another car if available, usually is, that said, also have a bike that I can jump on to go to her, and if she breaks down, it will be on a main road or in the town where she drops the kids off.

The above said, car is due for an oil change in the next month, so will get the mechanic to test the battery again.

We found out after going to the guy originally to test the battery 6 months plus ago, that the battery was getting drained because we left the rear tray up, now when we do leave up the tray for days on end so that the springs don't harden up, we remove the fuse once we have put it up and put it back in when closing the tray.

YMMY ?

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2019 at 4:14 PM, Billthekiwi said:

Couldn't seem to find supercharge batteries in Thailand, are they sold here?