BMA installs nets to collect garbage in waterways

Jonathan Fairfield

BMA installs nets to collect garbage in waterways

n3.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Facebook.com/aswinkwanmuang/

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has installed drainage nets to catch and collect garbage before it reaches the river and sea and affects the environment as well as marine life, Bangkok Governor Pol General Aswin Kwanmuang said.

In his Facebook post earlier this week, Aswin said the BMA has studied similar models used by various agencies, including Rayong province, and even Australia for more effective ways to tackle garbage in the Thai capital. 

With several sites already equipped with drainage nets, the governor said these had proven to be useful in gathering floating garbage, but they couldn’t catch small trash and grease, which stuck to sluice gates and at water pumping stations. 

As Bangkok is a big city with a large amount of trash that accumulates daily, cranes were needed to lift the drainage nets full of soaked and heavy garbage. And at some canal-side spots impassable by vehicles, manpower had to be brought into play to remove the nets for emptying and re-installation, Aswin explained. 

Another challenge, he said, was that sometimes plastic waste clogged the nets, making water drainage a slow process and hence increasing the threat of roads flooding.

To help counter the problem of trash overloading drainage nets, the city has installed grills at drainage pipes alongside roads and workers were being frequently roped in to remove garbage stuck to the grills so rainwater could be drained faster, he added.

n3a.jpg

n3b.jpg

n3c.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375545

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-29

5 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

To help counter the problem of trash overloading drainage nets, the city has installed grills at drainage pipes alongside roads and workers were being frequently roped in to remove garbage stuck to the grills so rainwater could be drained faster, he added.

Does it mean that literally? Do they have to descend into the water, as one of the photos seems to suggest?

1 minute ago, rebo said:
3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Do they have to descend into the water, as one of the photos seems to suggest?

Don't worry — this was the one and only time for the photo op ...

Right, so next year we'll have another photo-op with a new idea, as nobody has cottoned on to the idea of 'maintenance'.

I did try to translate the word into Thai, but google kept coming back with a 404 error.

2 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:
9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

'maintenance'.

I did try to translate the word into Thai

Google translation of maintenance into Thai is 

ซ่อมบำรุง

'nuf sed

I also tried 'sarcasm' and that option failed to translate too.

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Right, so next year we'll have another photo-op with a new idea, as nobody has cottoned on to the idea of 'maintenance'.

I did try to translate the word into Thai, but google kept coming back with a 404 error.

Lie

Simple solution: Install AND empty a gazillion trash cans around the city. (Try) and train Thais to use the trash cans instead of the streets and canals. Levy heavy fines for littering. Reward those who don't.

It's really not all that difficult to implement such a program. That done, stick to it religiously, don't just make it another "here today, gone tomorrow" program.

6 hours ago, neeray said:

Simple solution: Install AND empty a gazillion trash cans around the city. (Try) and train Thais to use the trash cans instead of the streets and canals. Levy heavy fines for littering. Reward those who don't.

It's really not all that difficult to implement such a program. That done, stick to it religiously, don't just make it another "here today, gone tomorrow" program.

outside any 711 watch how much garbage receipts go in the trash can vs. the ground. Just cause they are there doesn't mean they will be used.

16 hours ago, Justsomeguy said:

outside any 711 watch how much garbage receipts go in the trash can vs. the ground. Just cause they are there doesn't mean they will be used.

I guess you missed the part where I said "and train Thais to use the trash cans instead of the streets".

Did you actually read my post? Apparently not because I expressed other thoughts in support of a no-littering program.

Welcome to TVF. Suggestion: engage eyes and brain before keyboard fingers. TVF is great but not if you make a jerk of yourself!

Archived