Jump to content

High school student dies after eating Som Tam (Papaya Salad)


webfact

Recommended Posts

High school student dies after eating Som Tam (Papaya Salad)

 

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

 

Daily News reported that a 16 year old girl in the north east of Thailand had left her family devastated after she died - apparently from eating som tam - one of the nation's favorite dishes also known as papaya salad. 

 

Nong Fon, a M4 pupil, had eaten the som tam on August 24th after her mother Khajorn Atsiangram, 56, bought it for her at the end of the soi. 

 

Next day she took medication for stomach pains and seemed to improve. 

 

But on the 26th things took a serious turn for the worse and an ambulance was called to take her to hospital. 

 

She passed out in the ambulance and despite CPR and the best attention of medics she was dead on arrival at Soon Buriram Hospital. 

 

Doctors have blamed a serious bug in her digestive system. 

 

news_SsafwDSIbL185255_533.jpg

Picture: Daily News

 

Daily News published pictures of classmates at her funeral rites. 

 

Their headline and story contained sensational wording such as "som tam of death" and "taste of death" referencing the dialectic word "saeb" for delicious.

 

Source: Daily News

 

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-30
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

 

to anyone coming from 'other' regions than the East North...  

they wouldn't necessaarily agree that som tam (Esarn) is (their) National Dish

 

eating pickled live bait isn't that popular, away from the East North

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tifino said:

 

to anyone coming from 'other' regions than the East North...  

they wouldn't necessaarily agree that som tam (Esarn) is (their) National Dish

 

eating pickled live bait isn't that popular, away from the East North

Just goes to show what they are missing out on  😎

Link to post
Share on other sites

My missus does a great Som Tam, but it never ceases to amaze me how they can use fermented fish, raw crabs and prawns in its preparation.  Just asking for trouble, surely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kellersphuket said:

It doesn't surprise me at all,

that stuff is dangerous!

 

I tried it once in Chiang Mai and ended up in hospital on a drip after vomiting repeatedly for days on end.

 

I'll stick to my pepperoni pizza thanks!

 

Choose your poison...

Link to post
Share on other sites

A serious case of under reporting here.

 

The girl was a student at the same school as my daughter. My daughter knew her well.

 

She had been troubled with a stomach ailment for sometime. A medical condition rather than something caused by food. In fact her Father died only 6 months ago from the same condition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

A serious case of under reporting here.

 

The girl was a student at the same school as my daughter. My daughter knew her well.

 

She had been troubled with a stomach ailment for sometime. A medical condition rather than something caused by food. In fact her Father died only 6 months ago from the same condition.

This is strange that her father died from the same condition. Perhaps they both ate the papaya salad for a while and at one time it was contaminated with something at a too high level. Or perhaps it was not the papaya salad. Could also be any other food or drink they both liked to consume. What did the autopsy reveal in both cases? Only that they died? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, puchooay said:

A serious case of under reporting here.

 

The girl was a student at the same school as my daughter. My daughter knew her well.

 

She had been troubled with a stomach ailment for sometime. A medical condition rather than something caused by food. In fact her Father died only 6 months ago from the same condition.

Good point. I was wondering why only she was hit from that somtam.

And if I understand the Thai article correct it also says that she died from an infection unrelated to the incident (eating that somtam).

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Doctors have blamed a serious bug in her digestive system.

Whether "bug" is a good translation...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tifino said:

 

to anyone coming from 'other' regions than the East North...  

they wouldn't necessaarily agree that som tam (Esarn) is (their) National Dish

 

eating pickled live bait isn't that popular, away from the East North

somtam literally just says pounded pickles/sour.

It comes in different variations although papaya is kind of a must have.

I can not eat "somtam lao" (Isan) with fermented fish and crab.

"somtam thai" is OK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, webfact said:

Nong Fon, a M4 pupil, had eaten the som tam on August 24th after her mother Khajorn Atsiangram, 56, bought it for her at the end of the soi. 

 

Next day she took medication for stomach pains and seemed to improve. 

So how do they know it was that som tam? Just guessing and leave it there?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...