High school student dies after eating Som Tam (Papaya Salad)

webfact

High school student dies after eating Som Tam (Papaya Salad)

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that a 16 year old girl in the north east of Thailand had left her family devastated after she died - apparently from eating som tam - one of the nation's favorite dishes also known as papaya salad. 

Nong Fon, a M4 pupil, had eaten the som tam on August 24th after her mother Khajorn Atsiangram, 56, bought it for her at the end of the soi. 

Next day she took medication for stomach pains and seemed to improve. 

But on the 26th things took a serious turn for the worse and an ambulance was called to take her to hospital. 

She passed out in the ambulance and despite CPR and the best attention of medics she was dead on arrival at Soon Buriram Hospital. 

Doctors have blamed a serious bug in her digestive system. 

news_SsafwDSIbL185255_533.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News published pictures of classmates at her funeral rites. 

Their headline and story contained sensational wording such as "som tam of death" and "taste of death" referencing the dialectic word "saeb" for delicious.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-30

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to anyone coming from 'other' regions than the East North...  

they wouldn't necessaarily agree that som tam (Esarn) is (their) National Dish

eating pickled live bait isn't that popular, away from the East North

1 hour ago, tifino said:

Just goes to show what they are missing out on  ????

A serious case of under reporting here.

The girl was a student at the same school as my daughter. My daughter knew her well.

She had been troubled with a stomach ailment for sometime. A medical condition rather than something caused by food. In fact her Father died only 6 months ago from the same condition.

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

The girl was a student at the same school as my daughter. My daughter knew her well.

She had been troubled with a stomach ailment for sometime. A medical condition rather than something caused by food. In fact her Father died only 6 months ago from the same condition.

This is strange that her father died from the same condition. Perhaps they both ate the papaya salad for a while and at one time it was contaminated with something at a too high level. Or perhaps it was not the papaya salad. Could also be any other food or drink they both liked to consume. What did the autopsy reveal in both cases? Only that they died? 

26 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Good point. I was wondering why only she was hit from that somtam.

And if I understand the Thai article correct it also says that she died from an infection unrelated to the incident (eating that somtam).

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Whether "bug" is a good translation...

2 hours ago, tifino said:

somtam literally just says pounded pickles/sour.

It comes in different variations although papaya is kind of a must have.

I can not eat "somtam lao" (Isan) with fermented fish and crab.

"somtam thai" is OK.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Nong Fon, a M4 pupil, had eaten the som tam on August 24th after her mother Khajorn Atsiangram, 56, bought it for her at the end of the soi. 

Next day she took medication for stomach pains and seemed to improve. 

So how do they know it was that som tam? Just guessing and leave it there?

54 minutes ago, puchooay said:

thank you for adding a factual comment !
(could be many things then, water supply, pesticides, TV probably will never know and I wonder if we need to.)

May she be in a better place now.

25 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

It's not news that Somtham Lao style is very dangerous and can infect parts of the spine.

Here's an old thread from 2015:

Somtham does not infect any part of the body. Bacteria do. Hence Somtham is only as dangerous as the preparation is dangerous. I assure you I can make any food dangerous. What you mean to say is that, due to it being a fresh, uncooked dish, Somtham must be prepared properly, or it can harbor dangerous bacteria.

It is not unknown for some Thais in Isan to gather dead crabs from irrigation ditches after pesticide has been applied and eat them. If that was the case here, that would explain a long term and fatal cumulative effect.

I remember a sad case more than ten years ago when a 21 year old, first time Swedish tourist shared Som Tam Poo with some Isan girls he had met. He went into convulsions within an hour and died soon after.  The girls were mildly ill.  The toxins in shellfish poisoning can be really nasty though those who are exposed to small amounts over a period of time can develop an immunity which was apparently why the girls were OK.    

They use alot of fish, shrimp and crab products, which sit out in the baking sun for days, if not weeks on end. Plus, there are fermented products added, as well as crazy stuff like "10,000 year old eggs", tons of MSG, and alot of other bizarre ingredients. I hear alot of people get massive worms from Som Tom. One needs to exercise some care when eating it, and know who is making it. The gal on the corner might not be a trusted source of fresh food products! 

Also, it does sound like it might be a case of seriously incompetent doctors being involved. More than likely this was at least partly caused by a prior condition, or existing ailment she already had. 

2 hours ago, daiwill60 said:

My missus does a great Som Tam, but it never ceases to amaze me how they can use fermented fish, raw crabs and prawns in its preparation.  Just asking for trouble, surely. 

Yes they are.

And don't call me Shirley.

11 minutes ago, timendres said:

Somtham does not infect any part of the body. Bacteria do. Hence Somtham is only as dangerous as the preparation is dangerous.

It's the use of pla raa in (mostly) Isaarn, which will give you 'problems' with your liver. It'll take long time, but eventually... Do a searh (preferably not with google).

36 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Somtam Poupala PetPet is delicious. Well worth risking one's life. 

It's quite vile and there's no earthly need for foreigners to stoop to these ridiculous culinary depths just so they can show they're trying to assimilate here.

Regular somtam is good, clean and healthy enough.

Archived