High school student dies after eating Som Tam (Papaya Salad)

webfact

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, daiwill60 said:

My missus does a great Som Tam, but it never ceases to amaze me how they can use fermented fish, raw crabs and prawns in its preparation.  Just asking for trouble, surely. 

great stuff I am loving it...I eat som tam at least once a day...three or four chillis I work my way up..this is the real thai thing...w. sticky rice..aroi mak mak

Just now, friend of siam said:

great stuff I am loving it...I eat som tam at least once a day...three or four chillis I work my way up..this is the real thai thing...w. sticky rice..aroi mak mak

raw crab and then at the age of 50 they die of pancreas CANCER

no coming back from that one

3 minutes ago, justin case said:

raw crab and then at the age of 50 they die of pancreas CANCER

no coming back from that one

Well i am 56 .and i am fit all the way through ..i dont eat crabs with it ( a few gung  at most ) and the fishsauce comes from a company not from fermentation in my own backyard..strangly it does not smell bad..like it often does in other places...also use the fishsauce mildly otherwise it gets too strong..nitnoi .u can make it also from cucumber or beans...many variations around ...if you use fresh papaya ( cucumer beans etc ) and work clean ( with a top brand fish sauce ) u should be ok ..if u eat outside only buy from shops that has a big turnover and only local thais are buying....and dont forget the chili's they burn any bugs for sure the oldest way of killing bacteria...

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Som Tam to me looks like something scrapped up off a market floor when all the stall holders have gone home and the way the wife sits on the loo most of the next day, I'm guessing its about the same health risk too

I love that description "Som Tam to me looks like something scrapped  up off a market floor...."

Nice way to put it. It does look something like that, I have the same opinion.

Those little dark creepy crabs they pound into the salad, these little creepy crabs are eaten raw so what do you think?

These little crabs are caught in the mud by the river. The river is a sewage system in Thailand ( well, the klong they called it not river).

I wonder the health department in Thailand ever check on these little crabs and see if they are carrying hepatitis and typhoid virus? They probably carry all kinds of bacteria and virus too.

Years back my first Thai girl friend forbid me to eat Som Tam, she told me it would give me diarrhea. She was very kind.

12 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

It doesn't surprise me at all,

that stuff is dangerous!

I tried it once in Chiang Mai and ended up in hospital on a drip after vomiting repeatedly for days on end.

I'll stick to my pepperoni pizza thanks!

Dangerous haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

When i'm in Thailand i eat kgs of it in 1 month. And without the aditional pla rah and 12-14 chilis i not wanna eat it.

Never been sick. Only an occasional diarrhea (not even ones a month) when it is really spicy

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

I've eaten huge amounts of som tam, all sorts of varieties, from all sorts of sellers, home made, posh restaurants, street vendors etc for over 15 years. Never had a problem!

Some other foods have got me. 

It's just bad luck if you get some bad bacteria.

Me too, 15 years now have had som tam at least twice a week served all over the country. Never once been sick. But I do not eat pla raa or field crabs - never. I suspect that these 2 ingredients is the source of most of the illness. 

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Som Tam to me looks like something scrapped up off a market floor when all the stall holders have gone home and the way the wife sits on the loo most of the next day, I'm guessing its about the same health risk too

And how does cole slaw look to you?

5 hours ago, elektrified said:

Me too, 15 years now have had som tam at least twice a week served all over the country. Never once been sick. But I do not eat pla raa or field crabs - never. I suspect that these 2 ingredients is the source of most of the illness. 

Me too. Its kinda addictive and cheap. In the UK its over 200 baht.

Archived