High school student dies after eating Som Tam (Papaya Salad)

webfact

12 hours ago, TSF said:

Years ago the TGF I was with at the time, an Udon Thani gal, would have her friends over regularly for a somtum session. It was like a ritual, they sit on the floor in a circle eating their somtum (the Lao version with the stinking plarah) then 30 minutes later, one by one they rush into the toilet and come out smiling and happy...that was the sign of a great somtum if it sent them rushing into the toilet.

Somtum 8777.  As in Bat, jet, jet, jet.  Asian afterburner. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, daiwill60 said:

fermented fish, raw crabs and prawns in its preparation.  Just asking for trouble, surely. 

Opposite me used to be a large area of grassland, every time it rained you could hear the frogs early in the morning... out came the locals with buckets catching them & the tiny black crabs which also seemed to come out of hiding & get trapped in the puddles.

My next door neighbor was one of them.. she would chop the frog into mince and fry-it up ga-phrao style

and the crabs went into somtam... she would always come round with a sample of each.... my wife used to tuck into it with no hesitation but I'd always pass on the invitation...

she asked why?

I simply said where do you see all the soi dogs go to do there business?

That spoiled the appetite!

17 hours ago, puchooay said:

So it seems that eating Somtam, spicy food has been proved not to be a cause of ulcers, was not the cause of death but may have aggravated and existing condition.

In other words; the article is Fake News.

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

wait what about the two Australians who said their whole lives were destroyed by eating papaya salad?

They've been blacklisted from ever returning to Thailand. Defamation and sullying the good name of Thailand.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:23 PM, puchooay said:

A serious case of under reporting here.

The girl was a student at the same school as my daughter. My daughter knew her well.

She had been troubled with a stomach ailment for sometime. A medical condition rather than something caused by food. In fact her Father died only 6 months ago from the same condition.

Can you tell me what city it was?  Just curious.

On 8/30/2019 at 11:07 AM, daiwill60 said:

My missus does a great Som Tam, but it never ceases to amaze me how they can use fermented fish, raw crabs and prawns in its preparation.  Just asking for trouble, surely. 

Daiwill  , stay with faggots and peas ,  not these dodgy issan foods, you know it makes sense,  diolch ..

On 8/29/2019 at 7:21 PM, kellersphuket said:

It doesn't surprise me at all,

that stuff is dangerous!

I tried it once in Chiang Mai and ended up in hospital on a drip after vomiting repeatedly for days on end.

I'll stick to my pepperoni pizza thanks!

Is it a pepperoni pizza drip? : )

On 8/30/2019 at 11:07 AM, daiwill60 said:

My missus does a great Som Tam, but it never ceases to amaze me how they can use fermented fish, raw crabs and prawns in its preparation.  Just asking for trouble, surely. 

The raw crab has become an issue lately...more and more often there are crabs contaminated by a deadly bacteria, which originated in Vietnam and made its way through Laos. The sweet water crabs and tiny shrimps in northern isaan should be cooked before consumption to make them safe.

Archived