Cyclone in Issaan

jimmyyy

Anyone else being hit by this freak of weather?  We received 8 inches of rain so far and it keeps coming down, school is flooded, power off and on, trees down from the wind in the road, not that it matters because the little river over flowed the damn bridge and nobody would cross it anyways.   I am up near Sarahkam. 

Not freak weather exactly. I was predicted a few days ago. Big storm across the SE Asia region. Tropical Storm Podul. It's been raining here in Buriram for about 8 hours.

Good for the garden, as they say. Also good for the near empty reservoir.

No great winds or power cuts here.

Despite the instant havoc being wrought of TS Pudul, it is good to see that it is dumping in central and southern Isaan areas that have been really hard hit by the drought. Up here in Udon where we've had frequent thunderstorms and almost showers for the past couple of weeks, it's been a high overcast so far and the cool, gusty breezes at first light have dissipated.

First rains have just started at 10:40 AM.

kkn240Loop.gif.78cd1c7c81e78550c7d9be79250aaf57.gif

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

First rains have just started at 10:40 AM.

We got the same rain on the west side of Udon at about the same time, five minutes after the rain started the power went off, still off now! good to see they were prepared!

22 minutes ago, CGW said:

We got the same rain on the west side of Udon at about the same time, five minutes after the rain started the power went off, still off now! good to see they were prepared!

Rain was heavy for 20 minutes at most, just enough for the ritual filling of buckets around the yard. Buggered if I will ever get my head around that exercise in futility. I'm on the east side and power has been solid. I learned from a chap that lives out west of town that when the wind picks up, regardless if it's wet or dry, the power goes out. He had it explained by a PEA guy that wind causes the wires to touch trees and each other which causes the trips.

Currently blue skies with scudding stratocumulus.

58 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I learned from a chap that lives out west of town that when the wind picks up, regardless if it's wet or dry, the power goes out. He had it explained by a PEA guy that wind causes the wires to touch trees and each other which causes the trips.

Thats not hard to believe, I just went for a quick drive to see if i could see where the problem was, looking up at the trees being blown by the wind its a wonder we ever have power! Power came back about ten minutes ago, sure there will be another cut! left the generator out ready to connect up - again!

Nonstop rain, at times heavy, for the last 48 hours in Sisaket. 

The ground is soaked, almost impossible to walk in the garden, and some vegetation is uprooted because the soil can't hold it anymore. 

It is very rare to have rain uninterupted for so long, without seeing the sun at all! 

And it doesn't seem that it's gonna end soon... 

Mukdahan in flood now, many roads cut. Was hoping to go to opening of new Home Pro Max shop, unfortunately, underwater, built the whole place next to a creek that floods with too much rain and built it at street level, obviously someone didn't do their homework. TIT.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

It is very rare to have rain uninterupted for so long, without seeing the sun at all! 

I think three years ago we had three solid days of heavy rain in the Somdet (Kalasin) area. The roadside ditches overflowed and flooded the fields, and at one time it was lapping the top of the raised area around the house. A close thing.

The past 10 days we've seen heavy rain every evening, with the effects of the storm now adding to that with 24 hours of rain, much of it very heavy. The local reservoir is now nearly full. The rainy season, only three months late.

Lovely lovely. Lots of puddles but no poodles from Podul, here in south Surin.

48 hours of drizzle, rain, drizzle, stop, drizzle, rain, drizzle. No wind as yet. Hope it stays that way.

Wind has really picked up now.  Raining about 2 inches an hour.  Rain has not stopped. Power been out twice pea has been pretty good so far with the repairs.  Alot of roads are under water.  Told the wife if we dont have it we dont need it till this storm is over.

Anyone else being hit by this freak of weather?  We received 8 inches of rain so far and it keeps coming down, school is flooded, power off and on, trees down from the wind in the road, not that it matters because the little river over flowed the damn bridge and nobody would cross it anyways.   I am up near Sarahkam. 

I was living in Sarakham back in July 2017 and we had the exact same situation then except it rained a total of 12 inches over 3 days.  A tropical cyclone comes in from the east and lifts all the moisture coming in off of the monsoonsal flow from the southwest and it pisses down for as long as it has to. Issan, especialy Sarakham and Kalasin were flooded for months after that storm, the biggest in 40 years.

^^ Yep, close to you in Kalasin it's bad, its been nearly two days of mostly really scary rains in sheets, non-stop, relentless. I've never been in rains like this and I have lived in Asia for 23 years non-stop. The wind is at times strong too but it is not a cyclone/typhoon/hurricane, I would assume its tropical storm but I think this is the third one in a week. The first round I checked the Thai govt website and it was like they were on a different planet, the report s bore zero remblance to the actual weather though a map they posted showed a tropical storm or typhoon off the coast of northern vietnam.

Africa and South America and I have also heard Indonesia is yet again burning down. Africa is as bad if not worse than Brazil, Bolivia, Peru which you can find in the media. Seems something is going on, at least two continents, from the reports, and forest watch will show you live on their forest fire map that they are being obliterated.

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Nothing much here at all. Just little gusts of wind and drizzle. Not enough to stop a cricket match.

The Mekong is so low I could walk across to Laos.

Wow! Our stretch of the Mekong has been reasonably high for weeks now. I assume you must be well upstream of us.

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The past 10 days we've seen heavy rain every evening, with the effects of the storm now adding to that with 24 hours of rain, much of it very heavy. The local reservoir is now nearly full. The rainy season, only three months late.

It remains to be seen what the effects are going to be on the rice crop. 

According to the wife, all these green shoots that have remained dry for months have gotten old, and are unlikely to yield a lot of rice, if any, now that they finally get water. 

16 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Lovely lovely. Lots of puddles but no poodles from Podul, here in south Surin.

48 hours of drizzle, rain, drizzle, stop, drizzle, rain, drizzle. No wind as yet. Hope it stays that way.

South Surin ? I am in Prasat and we had non stop rain for 30 hours . I went to Surin yesterday at 14 00 hrs where it was raining steady then I had to go to Buriram Airport . Well the rain was torrential and 60 kph was my speed but no surprise when I was being overtaken by idiots doing 100 + . There were potholes in new roads half the size of my car and then small but deep ones that were hard to see as they filled up  with water . Many cars without lights .  Todays forecast from the TMD ia for 90% rain but at the moment 11 00 hrs we have sunshine . 

This message is being spread on social media now (google translate)

"Please help the media spread this news.

From Mukdahan Provincial Defence Centre

Ask those who will travel to Mukdahan or Ubon Ratchathani province use the highway that goes to Don Tan District instead of the highway Nikom Kham Soi. Due to high flood at Huai Chevy Yi Bridge to Nikom Kham Soi.

Avoid the path. Go to use the route to Don Tan District instead. "

Archived