BANGKOK
jimmyyy

Cyclone in Issaan

Posted (edited)

Anyone else being hit by this freak of weather?  We received 8 inches of rain so far and it keeps coming down, school is flooded, power off and on, trees down from the wind in the road, not that it matters because the little river over flowed the damn bridge and nobody would cross it anyways.   I am up near Sarahkam. 

Edited by jimmyyy

Not freak weather exactly. I was predicted a few days ago. Big storm across the SE Asia region. Tropical Storm Podul. It's been raining here in Buriram for about 8 hours.

Good for the garden, as they say. Also good for the near empty reservoir.

No great winds or power cuts here.

• Like 2

A week or two ago they had a big rain in Loei, maybe 6 inches of water on the road at the circle in the main town.  Happens.

The wind has now come back up must be blowing 30 knots

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

First rains have just started at 10:40 AM.

We got the same rain on the west side of Udon at about the same time, five minutes after the rain started the power went off, still off now! good to see they were prepared!

Some good and much needed rain in ChokChai overnight and today.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, CGW said:

We got the same rain on the west side of Udon at about the same time, five minutes after the rain started the power went off, still off now! good to see they were prepared!

Rain was heavy for 20 minutes at most, just enough for the ritual filling of buckets around the yard. Buggered if I will ever get my head around that exercise in futility. I'm on the east side and power has been solid. I learned from a chap that lives out west of town that when the wind picks up, regardless if it's wet or dry, the power goes out. He had it explained by a PEA guy that wind causes the wires to touch trees and each other which causes the trips.

Currently blue skies with scudding stratocumulus.

Edited by NanLaew

58 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I learned from a chap that lives out west of town that when the wind picks up, regardless if it's wet or dry, the power goes out. He had it explained by a PEA guy that wind causes the wires to touch trees and each other which causes the trips.

Thats not hard to believe, I just went for a quick drive to see if i could see where the problem was, looking up at the trees being blown by the wind its a wonder we ever have power! Power came back about ten minutes ago, sure there will be another cut! left the generator out ready to connect up - again!

2 hours ago, smiggley said:

Still very little rain in Chaiyaphum

Had about 3hrs of heavy rain amphore phu khiao this am , we did need it desparately though.

Nonstop rain, at times heavy, for the last 48 hours in Sisaket. 

The ground is soaked, almost impossible to walk in the garden, and some vegetation is uprooted because the soil can't hold it anymore. 

It is very rare to have rain uninterupted for so long, without seeing the sun at all! 

And it doesn't seem that it's gonna end soon... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

It is very rare to have rain uninterupted for so long, without seeing the sun at all! 

I think three years ago we had three solid days of heavy rain in the Somdet (Kalasin) area. The roadside ditches overflowed and flooded the fields, and at one time it was lapping the top of the raised area around the house. A close thing.

The past 10 days we've seen heavy rain every evening, with the effects of the storm now adding to that with 24 hours of rain, much of it very heavy. The local reservoir is now nearly full. The rainy season, only three months late.