BANGKOK
jimmyyy

Cyclone in Issaan

Posted (edited)

Last 2 days have been appalling in Mukdahan.

Flooding like no one can remember, trees down, Mekong way up with bridges over the rivers feeding into it being underwater, no electricity for 2 days (not main city), and still none in most areas apart from mine, no 4G and rather ironically no water supply. Rice fields are so flooded that they are now being fished by locals.

Edited by Mukdahanman
  • Like 1

And people were complaining just a few days ago about the drought is Issan....

15 hours ago, nightfox said:

And people were complaining just a few days ago about the drought is Issan....

A drought followed by a flood is not at all the same as a regular rain season. 

Too much water is not better than not enough. 

The rice which had grown 20 cm in 3 months suddenly finds itseld drowned under a deluge that could make it rot... 

In fact, we are still waiting for the rain season, because this depression was coming from the Pacific and had nothing to do with the monsoon... 

• Like 2

Started raining again last night and has not stopped, ground is saturated, roads are flooding again. 

• Like 1

I am driving to Mukdahan from Pattaya tomorrow (Wednesday). Is the weather looking a bit better up there??? The weather reports just say 'cloudy'. I take it the floods are gone now??

Hope so...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dsfbrit said:

I am driving to Mukdahan from Pattaya tomorrow (Wednesday). Is the weather looking a bit better up there??? The weather reports just say 'cloudy'. I take it the floods are gone now??

Hope so...

Are you serious?

You take it the floods have gone.:cheesy::cheesy:

Raining now, roads still under water, i know i am in the middle of it, stay were you are.

Stay safe...... Dont travel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Are you serious?

You take it the floods have gone.:cheesy::cheesy:

Raining now, roads still under water, i know i am in the middle of it, stay were you are.

Stay safe...... Dont travel.

There are other routes Colin. Couldn't he take some back-roads?

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

There are other routes Colin. Couldn't he take some back-roads?

The floods have not gone, many roads still impassable.

Anybody thinking of travelling that distance should think again and stay home.

Raining again now, much more to come.

My wife has gone to school this morning, just phoned me she had to turn around twice, and try other roads.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

The floods have not gone, many roads still impassable.

Anybody thinking of travelling that distance should think again and stay home.

Raining again now, much more to come.

My wife has gone to school this morning, just phoned me she had to turn around twice, and try other roads.

Interesting. But are there not any roads that are clear? Surely they are not all in vallies or low lying areas?!

And all these inclement weather make me think; what  constitutes rain. I think it's raining if it is enough to stop a game of cricket. Any thoughts on this Colin!?

Just started to rain here, at last. 15k south of the Mekong, Nong Khai area.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Interesting. But are there not any roads that are clear? Surely they are not all in vallies or low lying areas?!

And all these inclement weather make me think; what  constitutes rain. I think it's raining if it is enough to stop a game of cricket. Any thoughts on this Colin!?

Just started to rain here, at last. 15k south of the Mekong, Nong Khai area.

The rain is bouncing off the concrete here at the moment, certainly would stop any game of cricket.

Cannot answer you about any roads clear, my wife gets all the info from local sources, and she is not here.

Two days ago water outside our gate maybe 18 inches, yesterday down to maybe 8/10 inches, this morning back to 18 inches.

1 hour ago, dsfbrit said:

Hope so...

As Colin suggested, I would stay put until the storm has well past. Not only getting TO Mukdahan,  but trying to navigate around there once arrived will be a nightmare 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The rain is bouncing off the concrete here at the moment, certainly would stop any game of cricket.

Cannot answer you about any roads clear, my wife gets all the info from local sources, and she is not here.

Two days ago water outside our gate maybe 18 inches, yesterday down to maybe 8/10 inches, this morning back to 18 inches.

Thanks, but I'm personally not travelling anywhere near KhonKaen or Mukdahan, but was concerned that @dsfbrit (post #35) was travelling tomorrow, in dangerous circumstances.

There have been lots of vid's and pic's on the Thai news of big areas, within Isaan, well flooded.

We are a little bit on the high side here, but all the same, if there is big rain, farms will suffer. They have been decimated  already (due to no rain for over a month) and many farmers replanted rice just a month ago. Plus, we have just heard (this morning) that the rice subsidy has been slashed from 1,500 to 500 Baht a rai. Farmers were banking on this to get some dosh back; they are desperate.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dsfbrit said:

Hope so...

Still raining consistently here today (Tuesday) but flooding has subsided on the main roads so you should be okay, but as Colin has already said, best not to travel at the moment unless you have to, it’s a bit of a gamble.

If you do, stick to the main roads as the backroads are far worse.

Best of luck.

Edited by Mukdahanman

3 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

What’s up Colin?

Whats up.... Heavy rain now, many roads that were safe this morning, not safe now.

Maybe roads in/ around Mukdahan are now ok, but roads to and from could be getting more water and flooding again.

Surely safety should come first, not just i have to get there.

• Like 1