UPS for GNU/Linux desktop ?

oldcpu

Any suggestions for a UPS to be purchased and used in Thailand with a GNU/Linux home desktop (where that desktop is occasionally left powered over night and all day)?

I recently moved to Phuket earlier this year, and earlier this month I finally got around to unpacking my desktop computer. I have already had a couple of unexpected power outages in the short time my desktop has been up and running, so I figure I should consider a UPS.

I considered APC UPS (as there is excellent GNU/Linux support for those UPS), but unfortunately those are priced rather high compared, for example, to the CyberPower.  I'm currently considering a CyberPower UPS UT1500E-AS,1500VA/900WATT which I can purchase in Thailand (by mail order) from Lazada for a reasonable price.

My desktop has a Core-i7 and I use a 27" monitor (running openSUSE GNU/Linux). I often have a couple of external hard drives attached when using the desktop, so I figure it is better to 'err' on the slightly higher side wrt UPS capacity.   My goal is to have a shutdown of my GNU/Linux desktop within a few minutes of any power outage - even when UPS battery is 3 to 4 years old. So based on that, obviously a "USB" interface from UPS to PC is essential.

I note CyberPower support GNU/Linux and they have an RPM one can download and install (for OpenSUSE, in addition to other GNU/Linux distributions). There is at least one Youtube video tutorial explaining how to configure a GNU/Linux system using the CyberPower GNU/Linux support package.

Still, I am curious about other UPS. 

In Thailand I note a locally produced UPS is the Chuphotic brand ... but most of the information I've seen on such is in Thai language (which I don't speak).   I have not read of any GNU/Linux support for the Chuphotic (in English language, nor software for GNU/Linux), and price wise in the local shops it is no cheaper than CyberPower brand on Lazada (froom what I can tell).

Stories ... experiences ... advice ... feedback in general on UPS is welcome.

do you really really need to have your UPS intelligently linked to your computer?

-the hassles in getting the right App, just to see RPMs! or whatever unnecessary complications...

just get any off the shelf UPS, that has sufficient capacity for your equipment requirements

- and a standalonee Line Filter, to protect the Input of the UPS itself from incoming spikes/surges/brownouts.

29 minutes ago, tifino said:

do you really really need to have your UPS intelligently linked to your computer?

-the hassles in getting the right App, just to see RPMs! or whatever unnecessary complications...

Yes, ... I need the UPS and PC intelligently linked.   Most of the time I will not be around the computer room when it is running, nor possibly  in my condo when the PC is running.  So I will not be around to react to the power outage, which could likely last longer than the UPS battery can provide power.

I have been using GNU/Linux since 1998 (as my only desktop) so I am not too intimidated by installing an RPM nor using the CyberPower GNU/Linux application. I watched a video about someone configuring it, and I downloaded the manual - it does not look too difficult for myself.  Possibly my being a (retired) engineer helps a bit in my not having the 'hassle' which others might.

My research did indicate (which I think you infer) that having a USB connection drives up the UPS price a fair amount, in addition to adding complexity.

maybe some new-fangled UPS/APP combo that can setup so that the PC can be autoconfigured to adapt to low power mode, or even Sleep; whenever the UPS is forced over to batteries  i.e. whenever Line power fails?

I even once tried to increase effective (time) capacity; by installing 2 UPS in daisy chain. I had a few little 650watt UPS cubes lying about unemployed, that could each sustain about 20mins, for a laptop. By feeding one UPS cube off another, the combination provided for just on 30mins total time.

This cheap charlie concept does have other 'obscure' advantages!  If power has been Off for over 15mins, the first UPS has already flattened, and the 2nd continues On, for it's 20mins. So long as the Line Power has restored by the 30mins mark; the 1st cube reStarts, and the 2nd UPScube was none the wiser - and of course the computer stayed On uninterrupted

I used the same idea years back, when I had 3 of these UPScubes daisychained; powering a rackfull of digital Tv boxes, dvrs, antenna amplifier etc - the combo gave me up to 80 mins UPS for these lower capacity TVrecorders

Daisy chaining UPS ... that was an interesting story!  ... I don't think I will go quite that far.

While I am leaning heavily toward purchasing the  a CyberPower UPS UT1500E-AS,1500VA/900WATT , I am also considering the the APC UPS 1400VA BX1400U-MS.   This APC model thou has a smaller rating of 700 watts vs the CyberPower's 900 watts.   It does not come with a Type-B USB cable (one needs to buy that cable) while my understanding is the CyberPower provides the USB cable with their packaging (TBC), and further, the APC model is 30% more expensive than the CyberPower.   Possibly the only advantage I can see for the APC is it is more 'name brand' and it might be more simple to change its battery than change the battery in the CyberPower.   

I am leaning toward purchasing the CyberPower, mainly due to its cheaper price.

• 1 month later...

Thankyou for all the suggestions and advice in this thread.

In the end I purchased the CyberPower UT1500E 1500VA / 900W (ordered it a few days ago).   It arrived yesterday.

6f15cb1322907192.jpg

After an overnight charge, I plugged my desktop PC (but not my monitor nor my speakers) and I also routed my wired Ethernet through the CyberPower Ethernet in/out outlet on the back of the UPS.  And I connected a USB cable from UPS to my desktop PC.

ccccf71322907193.jpg

I previous had downloaded the CyberPower "PowerPanel" software, thinking I would install it after booting my PC (plugged in to the UPS), but to my surprise after booting my PC (running openSUSE-15.0 with KDE), I noted this icon in the right corner of my desktop.  

6bcadf1322907194.jpg

Nominally I only see that with a laptop computer, ... but I confess nothing in my (albeit limited) research, suggested that I should expect that for a desktop plugged into the UPS.  I figure it must have been because I connected the UPS to the desktop also via the USB. So it was a pleasant surprise.

If one clicks on the icon one will see this:

d0832b1322907195.jpg

I also went through the KDE power management settings and tuned them a bit.    

It has me thinking .... should I still install the CyberPower "PowerPanel" software?

I do note that the CyberPower "PowerPanel" command line package available on the CyberPower site (for GNU/Linux) offers more settings, so I am thinking I may still proceed with my original plan and install the CyberPower software.  First thou - I am wondering if it may conflict with the KDE settings, and my assumption is if I set the KDE settings for no action, then the CyberPower daemon will take precedence.

Its been educational ... and I am still finalizing on the settings I want wrt action to take if there is a power outage.

Archived