New construction next door

I live in my own home in a moobahn just outside Sri Racha. The neighbours have started to construct a large platform in their front garden. Although the supports are a couple of feet inside their property, the actual platform comes right up to the perimeter between our properties. They say the platform is so they can sit outside. It will give them an uninterrupted view over the whole of my garden and some limited view inside my house. I have read that there is a minimum distance they should maintain from the perimeter but I cannot find the post. Does anyone have any info please.

It’s something like 50 cm if no doors and windows,,,,,2 meter if doors and windows,,,,,,,,my <deleted> head neighbour did same to me,,,,,,I think he thought I would then build a separating wall,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I played the waiting game for 1 1/2 years .....he just started building bamboo fence last month????????.

I was out the country when he started building that close ,by the time I got back his house nearly finished so let him knew that wasn’t happy and that he built to close but didn’t bother persuing it further.

i filled  my land and it pushes pressure on his drain pipes he actually asked will I pay to repair his pipes????????????cheeky f cker 

Depending how friendly you are with your neighbours you could try and discuss it with them ,if you get or bor tor involved and try to stop his building it’s obviously gonna end up falling out with your neighbours.

just plant bushes shrubs will be easiest option.

here is his stupid fence.....lol ... I will just plant trees up against it.

890D633E-E740-4B1A-88A9-C2DF582C4FBE.jpeg

6 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

It will give them an uninterrupted view over the whole of my garden and some limited view inside my house.

one of the most intimidating and uncomfortable things you can do is point CCTV cameras at people. 

you can buy fake cameras for 400 baht.

put a pole in the ground now and put three cameras on top and point the cameras directly at the deck.

Our neighbor in Ban Bung Chonburi, put a barbed wire fence a inch from our property marker, now I have no access to the outside of one side of my house. Cannot clean windows or paint without trespassing. Went to thessaban, they told me he can do it. I have no rights. So now I just <deleted> on his land. 

We have to remember we are guests my wall on my Thai neighbours side is 3 mtr high the planning officer passed it when they came to do the final check and issues the two blue books as they insisted I had to have a blue book for a separate apartment . The property is beach front so there are stricter regulations you can build up to 50 Cm from your property boundary providing there are no windows or doors however they will allow glass block if you want proper windows then it’s 1 mtr from the boundary  when I was building planning was very strict as the Army were in the government buildings but now they have gone it’s most probably less strict . I never had to pay any money under the table everything was above board 

When I built my place I was told 1 metre from the boundary wall providing there were no windows on that side, otherwise 2 metres. Going by that I should think that their platform should  be no closer than 2 metres for privacy reasons. Of course in this place money talks so you can't really say that any rule is hard and fast.

Thanks for all the various replies even conflicting ones. The structure being built is a metal framework about 4 metres high with a platform on the top. It is a real eyesore. However, the neighbour has agreed to move railings on the top further away from the perimeter so that his guests are prevented from looking in my windows and open doors. Polite requests were made to do something similar earlier in the week but the owner was away working and his contractors just carried on and ignored my protests. Now he has returned and although he has solved the problem of overlooking my private residence, the structure is still an absolute eyesore when I'm sitting in my garden. It would still be an eyesore if it were built a metre or so further inside his property so it looks as if I'm stuck with it.

Building laws in our experience are flexible depending on how much you pay, but isn't that always the case.?

In CM when we built the builder said 1.5m, but paid a bunch on money (may have been 8000 bht) to the local inspector and bingo, instantly 1m.

Built a kitchen as an extension right up to the boundary at the back, neighbour complained, paid the same inspector another 5000 bht, neighbour was told to shut up.

Growing bamboo may well be your best option.

17 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

Thanks for all the various replies even conflicting ones. The structure being built is a metal framework about 4 metres high with a platform on the top. It is a real eyesore. However, the neighbour has agreed to move railings on the top further away from the perimeter so that his guests are prevented from looking in my windows and open doors. Polite requests were made to do something similar earlier in the week but the owner was away working and his contractors just carried on and ignored my protests. Now he has returned and although he has solved the problem of overlooking my private residence, the structure is still an absolute eyesore when I'm sitting in my garden. It would still be an eyesore if it were built a metre or so further inside his property so it looks as if I'm stuck with it.

How about sharing a picture?

We spent 3or 4 years away from our house and when we got back our Thai neighbour had extended his car port and extended his home within 30 cm of the dividing wall between the two plots. So essentially he could open his new windows, stick his head out and be over the footprint of our property.

When we got back I did challenge him on the extent/location of the extension and his answer was it was approved by the local authority. Anyway seeing it was built anyway I just decided to get a 1.5 metre steel frame erected and mount some fencing boards with a very slim gap between them on my side of the top of the dividing wall. Looks good from my side but sadly not from his.????

He came around to complain that we were blocking natural light from his extension and I should have told him we were going to erect it.

my reply

1) I don’t need approval of him or the local authority to erect it.

2) He didn’t tell me he had planned an extension.

3) it’s actually a benefit for us as that side of the house has more privacy.

4) it’s unreasonable to have windows that open up onto our property

5) if he did want to take it up with the local authority we’d be happy to enter into the discussions with them about it including his extension “approval”

Never heard anymore about it.....

anyway I feel for the OP.

On 8/30/2019 at 9:23 AM, hugh2121 said:

I have read that there is a minimum distance they should maintain from the perimeter but I cannot find the post. Does anyone have any info please.

Where I live it's 50 centimeter inside own land, and 1 meter if there are openings in the construction; i.e. doors, or windows, or just posts for a covered terrasse.

From public land, fx. road, the distance shall be 2 meters, and from water (sea) 3 meters from the water edge.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:57 PM, NCC1701A said:

one of the most intimidating and uncomfortable things you can do is point CCTV cameras at people. 

put a pole in the ground now and put three cameras on top and point the cameras directly at the deck.

Evil. Brilliant but evil????????????

I rent in a new Moo Ban of about 300 houses and often have a ride around looking at the contraptions that have been added on forget any regs of 1m or whatever they are down too fag papers here for some of these bizarre monstrosities must take some photos for grand designs of how to treble your square footage on the same footprint???? 

Personal experience with this. The limit is 50cm with no doors or windows. The local ampher should be informed, even if they do nothing, it's on the record. The problem for us was the roof drainage dumping water into our yard. In our case the ampher made them take out windows and install gutters. Typical threats [such as, don't you know who I am and someone could disappear] but luckily my wife is quite familiar with these tactics. Good luck.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:57 PM, NCC1701A said:

I don't know the law in Thailand. But in many countries this would be against the law. 

18 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

Building laws in our experience are flexible depending on how much you pay, but isn't that always the case.?

In CM when we built the builder said 1.5m, but paid a bunch on money (may have been 8000 bht) to the local inspector and bingo, instantly 1m.

Built a kitchen as an extension right up to the boundary at the back, neighbour complained, paid the same inspector another 5000 bht, neighbour was told to shut up.

Growing bamboo may well be your best option.

Sounds like you were scammed dude!  Paid to be able to do what you were allowed to do anyway??   

2 hours ago, carlyai said:

Wait until the Moo Baan ages a bit. You'll get illegal builds.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

not the Moo Baan where i live, lived here 11 years since it was new, very exclusive, the worst that has happened is a few condos have been built, but does not effect me.

Archived