HELP - I can't clean my windows!

4675636b596f75

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/31/2019 at 3:32 AM, bigginhill said:

Hi, I,m in debt with you I believe as the Tm30 status check suggestion you gave worked and I now have my usermane and password, so thanks. 

As to the window, it,s only the 1mm (do you really mean 1mm or 1 cm?) lock having to pass the first vertical alluminium part of the frame? If so I would be tempted to use a long handled thin screw driver (maybe in a piece of cloth so it wont take the paint off) or large knife could be far better and slightly prise a distance so the frame and lock pass. 

Good luck!

Your post about being in debt over a TM30 post has me a little concerned, my main concern is that in order to reach the point of being able to receive the password, log-in and subsequently self report, Ive been using the advice of many posters, so many in fact that I've no idea of who was the greatest assistance. On the other hand I can say that I'm definitely not feeling indebted to anyone on the Immigration side for their level of guidance. 

i had a similar problem to the OP.

Both sides were sliding but there was no way to access the outside of the inner pane for cleaning.

I'm sure the window frame was installed incorrectly as each window could only be lifted outwards.

I managed to lift one window out of the frame but I found it much heavier than I expected.

I was able to support the window balanced on a bracket of the air-conditioner about 15 cm below.

It was a delicate operation to clean the outside of the other window while holding the removed window at the same time.  I was worried about dropping the window from the 27th floor onto pedestrians below,

I found it a devil of a job to get the window back into the frame and seated on its track.

My arms were aching by this time and I'd developed a heavy sweat.

Luck was with me that day but I'll not be doing that again ! 

Both sides were sliding but there was no way to access the outside of the inner pane for cleaning.
I'm sure the window frame was installed incorrectly as each window could only be lifted outwards.
I managed to lift one window out of the frame but I found it much heavier than I expected.
I was able to support the window balanced on a bracket of the air-conditioner about 15 cm below.
It was a delicate operation to clean the outside of the other window while holding the removed window at the same time.  I was worried about dropping the window from the 27th floor onto pedestrians below,
I found it a devil of a job to get the window back into the frame and seated on its track.

Both panes of glass are sliding on my windows and they can only be removed from the outside, I remove the kitchen one a couple of times for cleaning purposes.

Of course, being in a bungalow makes this a little easier. [emoji51]

On 8/30/2019 at 6:50 PM, worgeordie said:

Looks clean enough to me.

regards worgeordie

It does to me, but then I am going in to get my eye cataracts removed this afternoon. I'll comment on the windows later if the post catches my eye.????????

1 hour ago, xerostar said:

Can you please post your address and window cleaning schedule so the readers can avoid your street.

On 8/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

The locking mechanism on the right and left side won't pass over the other window.

You can also remove the  rubber  bungs  in the corners at the  bottom and lower and raise the  rollers to lift the whole pane  out by inserting a  crosshead  screwdriver and turning left/right lower/raise then lift them  out

2 hours ago, xerostar said:

????????????????????????????

i always worry about this when I stay high rise hotels in Thailand the window always feels like it hasn’t been opened for years and feels like it just gonna drop completely out when you try to open it..

5 hours ago, AI5AASIA said:

Standard practice in Bangkok, mostly used by Burmese guys painting the exterior of the residential tower blocks. Usually when they're painting or re-sealing the windows they're also going to clean the windows, but they're not going to do a great job as that's a sideline to the purpose of their being there in the first place. 

Now if the OP isn't in too too much of a hurry, it's all going to happen in good time. Once the building is about 25 years old they're going to tell you there's an additional collection that year, this will be in order to pay for the cracks in the exterior wall. The Burmese guy that had for all purposes looked to be playing at being Spiderman, will have found there were cracks in the exterior walls when they were sent to clean someone's window (generally its that one guy who couldn't reach round or remove the window to clean it himself)

They will also say the seals on the outside of the windows were perished and needed replaced and the building urgently requires to be repainted. Now up until this demand for extra funds, you along with all other owners/residents in the building would have been blissfully unaware of this impending disaster, however thanks to needing to call in the Spiderman company to clean that one window in the building, they're now suddenly going to be able to save your building and it'll only cost Baht XX,XXX for each unit. With the heightened emphasis on the collection of these extra funds It's going to seem similar to the emergency planning that was put in place for the millennium, or indeed the emergency funds being required for people in the UK to still be able to eat after Brexit. But in the end of the day you're going to know your building will be all good for another XYZ years, or will it just be until the pipework needs renewed!  

This is pretty much the way it works in my 25+ year old condo building, only "fortunately" there's a problem with cracks on the sunny/hot side of the building, so the Spiderman people visit fairly often.  We lived on that side for years and it was just a matter of waiting until we saw a Burmese Spiderman drifting past our windows and enticing him with a pink piece of paper with the King's picture and some cleaning supplies to make an unauthorized stop to clean the outside of our windows.

Now we've moved to a penthouse in the same building, on the cool side and had new windows installed.  Totally movable, so they can be cleaned from the inside.  Cost was 40,000 baht for windows in three rooms.  I can't understand how the OP was quoted 23,000 baht to replace the tiny little window in his micro condo.

On 8/30/2019 at 6:16 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

There is no improving my view.  But my suckass view through dirty windows just looks worse.  What you see, are micro-micro condos of only 23sqm.  Since these nudniks haven't figured out how to build closets, they use their balconies like a closet.  It's not pretty.  

I have a quote to replace the entire window but it's 23,000b.  Not sure how long they will remain clean.  

Also have someone who will hang from the roof on one rope to clean the outside windows.  That solution is only 800b.

800 baht is well worth the job including watching a Thai dangling on a rope from the roof. You don't see that every day. ????

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I have a hard time believing that sliding windows are installed permanently. Are you sure you haven't missed anything? Can't you ask an "expert". 

Please define expert.  

In Thailand, if you carry a screwdriver, then you are considered a technician.  

If you can turn the screwdriver, then you are considered an engineer. 

You'll have to be more specific.

36 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Please define expert.  

In Thailand, if you carry a screwdriver, then you are considered a technician.  

If you can turn the screwdriver, then you are considered an engineer. 

You'll have to be more specific.

There are companies selling those windows,and people installing them. I would call those guys experts. 

13 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I do think guys who installs this type of windows knows how to remove them. No way they can't be removed in a smart way.

Sorry you didn't get my comment it was a bit of a joke. I agree with you they can be removed as you noted and very easily sadly after 6 pages of comments some still think it is permanent. They get removed the same way as the aluminum.

Can't believe this has run to 6 pages !!

You see that round plug at the top of the frame ? Remove it, there is a screw adjustment to level the window etc, wind that down and the window becomes loose, then then lift up and over.

20190830_192438.jpg.2aad3473a4d68ed7e337e324d2badd71.jpg

Remove that white (normally) rubber grommet you can see, and inside is a small screw. turning the screw will move the rollers up or down. you can normally just do the ones on the bottom, and lift the window out. there is one at each corner.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:05 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

If you look at the picture from the very first post, you will save me 999 words.

22 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I have a hard time believing that sliding windows are installed permanently. Are you sure you haven't missed anything? Can't you ask an "expert". 

If his condo block has a handyman that's who i would be asking ..... I assume the OP has done that already ? As I am sure he would not be the first person who has had to clean or replace a window in that condo block.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

If his condo block has a handyman that's who i would be asking ..... I assume the OP has done that already ? As I am sure he would not be the first person who has had to clean or replace a window in that condo block.

You're right, he's the guy I would've asked, too. Next guy would be anyone installing those type of windows. There might be hidden adjustment screws somewhere. I'm not an expert,though. ????

You people are amazing.  You see a picture of the top portion of the window with 1 mm of clearance and you insist it can be lifted and then out.  The bottom lip is at least 1 inch high.  So I suppose I could lift it 1 mm and then what?

We solved the problem.  My 12 year old hung from a bungee cord from the 7th floor thanks to a kind neighbor and was then lowered later into the pool below.

Problem solved.

Archived