Apple likely to unveil latest iPhone on Sept. 10

rooster59

Apple likely to unveil latest iPhone on Sept. 10

2019-08-29T170614Z_1_LYNXNPEF7S1S0_RTROPTP_4_APPLE-IPHONE-CHINA.JPG

People queue outside an Apple store for the new iPhone XS and XS Max that go on sale in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, China September 21, 2018. REUTERS/Stringer

(Reuters) - Apple Inc will host an event on Sept. 10 at the Steve Jobs Theater in the company's Cupertino, California campus, where it is widely expected to unveil new iPhone models.

In an invite to the event on Thursday, Apple teased a five-colored version of its logo, implying launch of more colors for its new iPhone models.

The company has been in the storm's eye, with trade tensions affecting its manufacturing link to China.

Apple faces levies of 15% imposed by the Trump administration on major products made in China such as smartwatches and wireless headphones on Sept. 1, with a tariff on its biggest seller, the iPhone, to take effect on Dec. 15. [https://reut.rs/2GDBUaw]

Sales of iPhone dropped to less than half of the company's total revenue in its latest quarter for the first time in seven years.

(Reporting by Neha Malara in Bengaluru; Editing by Maju Samuel)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-31

Why would people pay so much for a phone that's designed to last less than 2 years before breaking down which is why you see so many second hand ones for sale as well as those who just have to have the latest to show their friends .

8 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Why would people pay so much for a phone that's designed to last less than 2 years before breaking down which is why you see so many second hand ones for sale as well as those who just have to have the latest to show their friends .

My iPhone 5 finally gave up in January this year and I sold my iPhone 7 Plus and upgraded to the XS Max on release. With Apple care I have a 2 year warranty which replaces my handset free of charge so I’m not sure where you’re ‘less than 2 years’ comes from

16 minutes ago, keith101 said:

It makes them cool and gives them face! Hang the cost!

11 hours ago, keith101 said:

That is not exactly correct. The iphones last so long people get tired of them. Second hand ones fetch a good price as well. And yes the showing off is correct. It is a throw away society and now they have credit cards to boot.

15 hours ago, keith101 said:

They pay for them because they work.... People may have a preference for a Samsung Galaxy S10 at THB35,000 and they reason they'll pay for that is because it does exactly what is says it will do and do it very well, with a great camera and reliability. 

Some prefer Apple some prefer Samsung because they are the best at what they do. Its the same with cars, people will pay for an Audi, Mercedes or BMW because they are the best at what they do (there are of course, better faster etc, but I'm referring to every day objects we use so a Porsche is beyond this discussion). 

People who can't afford an Audi or Mercedes always say they are not that good... who needs to spend so much to get from A-B? its just showing off etc... Who needs to spend so much to read facebook, send a WhatsApp or make a call, its just showing off etc...  You guys just sound jealous because you don't have enough expendable income to enjoy something which works seamlessly, you will try so hard to find the handful of examples where things were not perfect and use that to criticize the whole - You will find that your responses are wholly unbalanced and highly bias, you will seek out, agree with and even 'press like' on likeminded comments which make the same bias and unfounded criticisms you do... such as 'put an Apple logo on a dog turd and an Apple fan would buy it'.. Well, I'd counter that with, if you earned enough not to worry too much you'd chose something which is trouble free such as an Apple or Samsung. 

I've tried the HTC and Samsung, I didn't like the Operating system and preferred IOS, I was more used to IOS...  I may well try Xiaomi Mi 9 - but that is THB 16,999 so hardly the cheap option - but its an iPhone competitor - I wonder if its as reliable..... 

On 8/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, keith101 said:

I've owned 4 iPhones and they lasted a hell of a lot longer than 2 years! Not one issue whatsoever with any of them. Upgraded at around the 4 to 5 year mark with each one. The operating system makes android system seem like a total software developer 'brain-screwing the consumer'.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

They pay for them because they work.... People may have a preference for a Samsung Galaxy S10 at THB35,000 and they reason they'll pay for that is because it does exactly what is says it will do and do it very well, with a great camera and reliability. 

Some prefer Apple some prefer Samsung because they are the best at what they do. Its the same with cars, people will pay for an Audi, Mercedes or BMW because they are the best at what they do (there are of course, better faster etc, but I'm referring to every day objects we use so a Porsche is beyond this discussion). 

People who can't afford an Audi or Mercedes always say they are not that good... who needs to spend so much to get from A-B? its just showing off etc... Who needs to spend so much to read facebook, send a WhatsApp or make a call, its just showing off etc...  You guys just sound jealous because you don't have enough expendable income to enjoy something which works seamlessly, you will try so hard to find the handful of examples where things were not perfect and use that to criticize the whole - You will find that your responses are wholly unbalanced and highly bias, you will seek out, agree with and even 'press like' on likeminded comments which make the same bias and unfounded criticisms you do... such as 'put an Apple logo on a dog turd and an Apple fan would buy it'.. Well, I'd counter that with, if you earned enough not to worry too much you'd chose something which is trouble free such as an Apple or Samsung. 

I've tried the HTC and Samsung, I didn't like the Operating system and preferred IOS, I was more used to IOS...  I may well try Xiaomi Mi 9 - but that is THB 16,999 so hardly the cheap option - but its an iPhone competitor - I wonder if its as reliable..... 

Simply not true, Apple is often inferior to many other phones yet comes a t a premium price.  Same with their computers, you can nearly always get a much better spec PC than an apple of an equivalent price. 

i am an Apple fan boy when it comes to phones, but i also dislike Apple at times when they release a new phone and it looks identical to the previous version, does nothing new besides a may be few extra pixels on the camera and thats about it.

What frustrates me after Steve's passing is that Apple innovates every 3-5 years instead of yearly like competition and this is why Apple slowly loosing its market share.

Apple products in my opinion are excellent and work very well, but lack of innovation and imagination is what bothering me

I have the XR, why would i upgrade to the new one next month when it looks the same, feels the same but has slightly better camera, so does it warrant spending 30 000 baht just to get slightly better pics?i think not.

8 minutes ago, BestB said:

which country has rolled out 5G as of now?

I am sure you will find far better answers then mine on Google regarding the exact current implementation. But many EU nations will start providing the service in 2020-2021 and Switzerland will have it end of 2019 - other nations around the world will follow. Qatar currently may be the only nation to provide the 5G network.

My point is that if you want to buy a new phone on 10th september and have to shoove it away in 2020 because not 5G compatible, then maybe a bit of patience may be a smarter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2019 at 9:17 AM, keith101 said:

Damn, I must have received faulty phones from Apple! My first iPhone lasted 6 years before I gave it away and the second is going along nicely and will soon pass the 2-year mark. Damn you, Apple, they're supposed to break down after 2 years according to Keith101 so you must have supplied me with a dud!

Apple reveals triple-camera iPhone; $5 monthly streaming TV undercuts Disney

By Stephen Nellis and Noel Randewich

2019-09-10T181418Z_1_LYNXNPEF891UO_RTROPTP_4_APPLE-IPHONE.JPGCEO Tim Cook presents the new iPhone 11 at an Apple event at their headquarters in Cupertino, California, U.S. September 10, 2019. REUTERS/Stephen Lam

CUPERTINO, Calif. (Reuters) - Apple Inc <AAPL.O> caught up with hardware rivals on Tuesday by revealing a triple-camera iPhone, and it rolled out a streaming TV service priced at $5 a month, undercutting Disney and Netflix.

The announcements came at the company's biggest marketing event, where it unveils its top products for the year ahead, and showcased an aggressive Apple ready to battle on price.

The long-awaited Apple TV+ streaming television service will be available in over 100 countries, starting in November.

Buyers of an iPhone, iPad or Mac will get a free year of streaming TV, potentially drawing hundreds of millions of viewers to the service. That catapults the new service into a rarified group of companies.

"I think the pricing on the Apple TV service was definitely a positive surprise," said Michael James, managing director of equity trading at Wedbush Securities in Los Angeles. "That's why you're seeing the hammering in some of the other video service-related names like Netflix, Amazon and Roku. Clearly, that was a positive that people were happy to hear."

There was no bundle with Apple Music or other services as some analysts had expected. But Ben Bajarin, an analyst with Creative Strategies, said the TV service, a $5 a month "Arcade" gaming service and the base model iPhone 11, seem designed to draw in users for the longer term.

"We weren't expecting Apple Arcade and particularly Apple TV to be priced as aggressively as they were," Bajarin said. "They know once consumers get into their ecosystem, they don't leave."

Apple said its new iPhone 11 will come with two back cameras, including an ultra wide-angle lens and the next generation of microchips, the A13. Prices start at $699, down from last year's new iPhone that started at $749.

The more expensive iPhone 11 Pro will have three cameras on the back - wide angle, telephoto and ultra-wide. It can create videos with all three back cameras and the front camera at the same time and starts at $999. The iPhone 11 Pro Max with a bigger screen starts at $1,099. The new phones are available to order Friday and will start shipping Sept. 20.

Rivals including Huawei Technologies Co Ltd and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd <005930.KS> already sell phones with three cameras on the back. While Apple once tested the upper limits of what consumers would pay for a phone, it is now giving ground on prices, even making older models available at significant discounts to the latest technology.

"Consumers absolutely still care about cameras. That's why it was surprising over the last couple of years that Samsung and Huawei got the jump on Apple," said Patrick Moorhead, an analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy. "Apple was playing a bit of catch up, but Apple did bring their game, particularly on the video side of the camera, where I do think they'll have the leg up."

Analysts expect Apple will sell around 200 million iPhones in the next year, in addition to other devices, and while many of those will be in China, it ensures at least tens of millions of potential viewers for the subscription service.

Hal Eddins, chief economist for Apple shareholder Capital Investment Counsel, said Apple's lower priced iPhones "aren't exciting on the surface, but the low streaming price may suck in some new subscribers." Apple shares gained 0.8%.

CROWDED FIELD

With streaming content, Apple is entering a crowded field dominated by Netflix Inc <NFLX.O>. (Graphic: https://tmsnrt.rs/2N6OB2j)

Walt Disney Co <DIS.N> will launch on Nov. 12 a $7-per-month service that will contain that firm's iconic children's content. Apple is also trying to win out over HBO Max with its hit shows like "Game of Thrones," "Friends" and "The Sopranos."

Apple's challenge is to persuade consumers that its family of devices, from its set-top box to phones, are the best one-stop place to watch shows.

“The roll out of new subscription-based services by Apple paves the way for the introduction of new business models akin to the all-you-can-eat bundles like Amazon Prime," said Paolo Pescatore, analyst with PP Foresight. "In the future we might even see users pay for a service bundle and receive a new iPhone every year.”

Apple also unveiled an updated watch, the Series 5, with an always-on display, starting at $399, while keeping the older Series 3 starting at $199. Moorhead said the older model would drive "tremendous" business.

Apple said the seventh generation of the iPad will start at $329 and be available to order starting Tuesday and in stores on Sept. 30.

(Reporting by Stephen Nellis and Noel Randewich; Additional reporting by Caroline Valetkevitch and Lisa Richwine; Editing by Peter Henderson, Lisa Shumaker and Nick Zieminski)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-11

• 2 weeks later...

Archived