VIDEO: Woman lucky to be alive after electricity pylon falls onto her car

rooster59

VIDEO: Woman lucky to be alive after electricity pylon falls onto her car

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU3Ni83ODgwNjQyL25ld3Byb2plY3QoMTQ2KS5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

A woman is lucky to be alive after an electricity pylon fell onto her car as she was driving in Krabi. 

Dramatic footage from the car’s dash cam captured the incident, which happened on Thursday in Koh Lanta district.

The driver, identified as Mrs Fanida, said she was travelling from Koh Lanta to Surat Thani in heavy rain, when to her amazement the electricity pylons on the side of the road began to topple like dominoes.

Unable to get out of the way, Mrs Fanida’s black Nissan pickup became trapped by one of the falling pylons.

Incredibly, Mrs Fanida was unhurt and was even able to get out of the vehicle and call the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) to inform them of the problem.

Wuttichai Thamsiri from Krabi PEA told Sanook that a total of 10 pylons had fallen.

Mr Wuttichai said the storms had caused a tree to fall onto one of the pylons, while heavy rain had caused the soil under the pylons to become unstable compounding the problem.

Mr Wuttichai added that the PEA would compensate Mrs Fanida for the damage to her vehicle.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-31

you'd have to be mighty unlucky to cop the actual pole...

the wires would be the scariest - realising just one of many is more likely to fry you; when they do a whip around to determine which one gets first crack at you

I wonder just how deep the post holes were?

From what I can see, in my area, the PEA only plant the poles about 30cm deep, which is clearly not enough as the things seem to fall over at the slightest provocation.  For a post as tall as those in the video, I would have thought that a hole depth of 1m would be required.

i can expect them lazy enough, to avail the nearest pothole

stand like the proverbial Eucalyptus tree... shallow roots and will fall out of the ground, on the calmest of days following the last wind...

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

From what I can see, in my area, the PEA only plant the poles about 30cm deep, which is clearly not enough as the things seem to fall over at the slightest provocation.  For a post as tall as those in the video, I would have thought that a hole depth of 1m would be required.

In the western countries Utility poles are buried according to a particular formula — 10 percent of the pole's height plus two feet equals the appropriate depth of burial.

2 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

In the western countries Utility poles are buried according to a particular formula — 10 percent of the pole's height plus two feet equals the appropriate depth of burial.

Maybe a bit too complicated for Somchai,

2 hours ago, doctormann said:

They usually go down 4-5 feet....but they're really weak concrete and can snap at the ground level....

3 hours ago, doctormann said:

Its like everything PEA does;   its all sub standard. We love and hate the rain. Love because the ground and environment needs it very bad. Hate because within minutes of rain or a storm ; power blackouts of minimum 1 hour. PEA has No process of monitoring vegetation and tree growth near and on power lines, which THEY say is the main cause of pole fuses blowing. Gets better, they have no idea the customer has a blackout; customer has to phone them and report it. Long way to improve their performance on expensive power they supply.

Posts  too  shallow and no concrete  around them just bedded  often in soft soil, note how  many especially in the country lean over at huge angles.

They did one near my  house, corkscrew down drop it in get it slightly straight and throw  soil around the gap. Yep that'll last for  years.

5 hours ago, tifino said:

i can expect them lazy enough, to avail the nearest pothole

stand like the proverbial Eucalyptus tree... shallow roots and will fall out of the ground, on the calmest of days following the last wind...

How can you.say that, and you here.on a welfare  scam tsk tsk

3 hours ago, doctormann said:
3 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Maybe a bit too complicated for Somchai,

that would require thailand 6.0

If a power cable, live or not proven dead contacts your car DO NOT GET OUT. Safest thing to do is stay in the car until advised by the power people it is safe to do so. HV or even LV  in contact with your car and you get out and provide a path the ground.....goodnight Irene.

Google faraday cage.

Very lucky lady as the protection system seems to have interrupted the power as it should. However there are still systems in place that will auto re-close circuit breakers a number of times, usually 3 times, before finally shutting down. Get caught while that is happening will really mess up your day.

20 hours ago, PatOngo said:

20 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Would probably depend on how hard the ground was and how energetic the digger was.

Not very deep then.

Archived