Why the Retired Expat Exodus to Vietnam seems very real

rooster59

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably for various reasons this could be one of them: 

HANOI - Unmasking a shady Vietnamese taxi driver has made Alex Hageraats a celebrity. The Amsterdammer, who was on holiday with his family in the Asian country, came in as the average tourist, but left as the guest of honor from the Far East.
The special adventure began when Hageraats took a taxi to the hotel after an outing in the city of Hanoi. His girlfriend Saskia was already on her way back with two of the children, but the Amsterdammer and his two boys soon realized that something was wrong when they were driven back.
"There was something wrong with the meter," he explains. "He vibrated in a strange way. I knew that the ride had to cost about two euros converted, but when we arrived there was twenty euros on the meter, 410,000 dong instead of 41,000 dong. "
He refused to pay that, but the taxi driver was certainly not going to settle for a lower amount. "He threatened us via Google Translate. We read that he wanted to kidnap us, would take my watch if we didn't pay. He had also locked the doors so that we couldn't just get out. The boys were quite shocked, so I just paid. ”
Yet he did not leave it at that. He made sure to take a photo of the license plate  and came in contact with the Vietnam tourism office through the guide they had during their four-week vacation.
We weren't expecting much, but we noticed that after a day trip to a village on stilts we suddenly got a  suite when we got back to our hotel. We soon heard that they had found the "culprit". We were immediately invited by the ministry, where we were received as VIPs. "

The authorities were overjoyed that there was finally a tourist complaining about being scammed , even despite the small amount of money in Europe It became an important matter for the Vietnam bureau of tourism.
The Dutch then ended up in a scene that they could never have imagined. The shady taxi driver, Pham Viet Kieu, had to apologize publicly, on national television, to the Dutch and, in addition receiving a fine of just under 400 euros, and he had to return the twenty euros to the Dutch family.
"It was shaking hands with many prominent people, and we were given special mountain tea that normally costs 50 euros per cup." "We couldn't walk past a kiosk without seeing our face in the newspapers ," continues the Amsterdammer. "That was a very strange sensation. I also felt kinda sorry for the taxi driver that he had to undergo this humiliation.

He emphasizes that reporting scams abroad can certainly make sense. "We were told that there is never a tourist who reports. Then they can't work on it either. Vietnam is a beautiful country with very friendly people, they are just not waiting for negative publicity. We were very impressed with what was happening, but can now also laugh about it. 

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

And how has your home country changed and made it better for you or others?

Well I can say with honesty after moving back to Scotland with my family, we are all very happy we are back. Financially we are better off, most things are a lot cheaper and quality far better, driving has become a pleasure. My Hart rate and stress level are both well down. I don't have to worry about snakes or Dengie and knowing that medical help is a phone call away and free gives such relief. Children love their new school. The straw that broke the camel's back was back in October when we were about to build a big extension and my wife told me to check the rumers about requirements after the embassies stopped the income letters (unlike a lot on here I never once blamed the embassy). After questioning immigration and the reply I got nocked me for 6.... "Its only 800,000baht" my reply was not cordial and we left. On the way home I asked the wife if she wanted us to go back to the UK her reply was "YES". We left in March and are now settled and very, very happy. Thailand is great place for a holiday. 

Grass is always greener for some!

Fact is many wouldnt be happy regardless of where they live.

A large proportion believe that because they are white the thais should be beholden to them.

As for cost.

Sure if you are a bar fly in the likes of pattaya or phuket then maybe times are tough.

Some of us dont need alcohol or cigarettes every day. Nor do need to east cholesterol laden british food followed by slobbering all over a lady of ill repute.

I like to cook at home (all cuisines ) and am happy to watch what I regard as mega cheap cable tv, go for walks.

Most months I struggle to spend 30k. We have no rent or finance payments on vehicles.

Yes things could be better as they could be everywhere in the world. Thailand is a developing not a developed country. Living in the uk or oz etc we pay( paid ) huge tax compared to the average employee here.

There is always a choice 

A lot of things are just coming to a head for me..

Its not just the exchange rate alone, or the immigration reporting or the lack of opportunities due to work restrictions/low pay in Thailand..

Its a bunch of other things too. 

Everything combined has persuaded me to book a holiday abroad with the wife before I plan to return to the UK later in the year alone to try to setup a new business there. If it works out my wife will begin the first steps of a very long UK immigration process to join me.

Although if things change at any time or other opportunities arise we might even spend more time in Thailand as we are doing now. Its up in the air at the moment although it is more likely we will return to the Uk sometime in the next couple years with plans to return to thailand for holidays.

I've just closed our Thai business that is step 1 and we are shortly going on a long overdue holiday. A relief to get rid of some of the 'mind shackles' to be honest.

6 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Leaving is not really an option fo me. I have a good wife of over 10 years, an adopted son who is closer to me than most biological sons, and a niece who is more like a daughter, who tells everyone I’m her dad.

I have no family or friends left back in the States, so there is nothing back there for me. Leaving Thailand, even for Vietnam, is not really an option for me. I’m over 70, and have had a minor stroke, which makes getting around difficult at best most of the time. You could say I’m “stuck” here, and in some ways you would be correct. But with an income more than double needed for retirement here, it is a comfortable “stuck”.

If they up the anti again, I’ll just switch from Retirement extension to Marriage, A bit more of a hassle, but not unbearable,

I agree, when faced with a possible loss of Extension of Stay due to one month's income being below 65K I asked the agency what my options were. First thing they said was they would send me to another immigration office away fro C. Mai and renew. There were also other options as well but I was rather put out that Thailand was ready to purposely send me away after living here in retirement for 8 years. Well, ... up to them.

I have no plans to leave Thailand yet however I have permanently scrapped my plan to build a dream home. Renting is still cheap here. Can't trust Thailand to keep retirement feasible. Honestly I get the feeling Thailand's Chinese masters want to slowly get rid of western expats so there will not be any busy bodies around to report to the world what they do to Thais once they officially take over the country. 

What do you believe those requirements to be?
How would I know? I was talking about a hypothetical. My point being that in my opinion if Vietnam offers a formal retirement visa program that it won't be a cheap one. But I don't think they will ever offer that at all. Most nations don't.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Why did she buy a pickup truck she could not afford the repayments on? Did you support her decision. Frankly I would send her nothing and if the car is repossessed, well so be it. 

"My step daughter got finance for a pickup for me in 2017 …"

You don't read it ….? he write FOR ME ...

So yes... the wisest decision is to sell it pay the remaining sum  and if not sufficient the pay back for loan.., it  would be at least lower remaining debt

Retirement in Vietnam? Hold your horses. Things are changing there too.

A friend has been there for several years, just renewing his visa annually. This week he was informed by his visa agent that VN immigration are developing a list of people that renew the yearly visa, but dont have a business in Vietnam - and are showing them the door.

A friend has been there for several years, just renewing his visa annually. This week he was informed by his visa agent that VN immigration are developing a list of people that renew the yearly visa, but dont have a business in Vietnam - and are showing them the door.

Totally predictable. Again Vietnam is not really open to long term retired expats and in my opinion it never will be.
Better to focus on the nations that are openly offering programs for retired expats.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Shows that some gf are different.

From 30K freehand  to 5K and now need working for 15 K.... must be really an Angel . Not many would do I think 

4 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Will hang on for another 5% currency drop—then leave.  First, to a beachfront hotel in Vietnam for a couple of months.  If the currency doesn’t recover—will consider permanent status, or return to USA.  Have house, truck and boat here—so will always return for a while...

I don't think I'm that unusual, but when I had had enough of Thailand I just went home.

And, I think the older you get the idea of setting up shop in yet another SEA country, learning yet another new language, is just exhausting.

Thats why you get a subset of the retired expats, who turn into grumpy old men, when they don't have enough money to return to their home country 

2 hours ago, oznomad said:

The time has come for scamming old farts to head back to their home countries . SEA 

is changing fast for the poor pensioners with their poor currency. 

23 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I don't think I'm that unusual, but when I had had enough of Thailand I just went home.

And, I think the older you get the idea of setting up shop in yet another SEA country, learning yet another new language, is just exhausting.

Thats why you get a subset of the retired expats, who turn into grumpy old men, when they don't have enough money to return to their home country 

Good point.  We do go back to the States often.  So when BoT finally kills off the USD (with ChiCom hot money inflows)—wife & I will reverse our travels—Retire in USA and visit Thailand.

6 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

So far nobody has mentioned Bali. Financial requirements are about the same, but a lot less hassle with immigration. These are 1 year retirement visas. I live elsewhere in Indonesia. I am married to an Indonesian. First one year visa my wife sponsors me. She has to have money in the bank, not me. Second one year visa was just an extension. Again my wife is my sponsor. Third visa is for five years. Fourth visa is also five years. But once you are past the 10 year mark you no longer need sponsorship from your wife. Somewhat expensive but you can then get a lifetime visa. You get a multi exit reentry visa. There is no 90 day reporting. There is no TM30. And you get your own special line at airports for immigration. I go through immigration much faster than my wife as generally there is no queue for me. Some of you will be thinking Muslim country etc. Certainly Indonesia is not perfect. However, I lived in Thailand 32 years. I thought that I would miss living there. I do not. There is a much more wholesome feeling living in Indonesia. You do not feel like you are just a cash cow. Take holiday to Indonesia and check it out. 

What parts to check out? I’ve worked in a few places there over the years and never had any inclination to move there to live. All my visas where taken care of by the company but even they said it was a run around. Work visa. 

KITAS, IMTA requirements change regularly and corruption or as they call them. facilitation fees are required. 

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

With the exchange rate with the aussie dollar I am now having to survive on under 36,000 baht from my age pension which s going to send me back in January when my next extension is due .

My step daughter got finance for a pickup for me in 2017 on 0% deposit (in her name) and the payments are 15,600 baht a month which she is go to be responsible for once I go back and I feel really bad for her , I will have to send her some money every month to try and help but considering the prices of things back home it wont be very much maybe only 5,000 baht per fortnightly payment .

I am looking to buy a good used truck if you want to pm me. Good luck to you and your family. 

7 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Switch to a Marriage Extension as soon as you can;  it's nowhere near as daunting as some people will have you believe.   I've been on one for 12 years, renewed last week , all done in 25 minutes.

I just got my Marriage Visa in January. There was a few more bits of paperwork, like photos of me and my wife at the house, a hand drawn map, so they could physically come and check that I was living there... but it was not difficult. Took two trips to the immigration office here in Buriram, and a planned visit by the boys in uniform at the house and it was done. It is well worth the extra effort, lower banking requirements and no current threats of a health insurance requirement either. 

20 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I just got my Marriage Visa in January. There was a few more bits of paperwork, like photos of me and my wife at the house, a hand drawn map, so they could physically come and check that I was living there... but it was not difficult. Took two trips to the immigration office here in Buriram, and a planned visit by the boys in uniform at the house and it was done. It is well worth the extra effort, lower banking requirements and no current threats of a health insurance requirement either. 

So we have to marry a local instead Of relocating to Vietnam?

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

No place like home.

41 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Good point.  We do go back to the States often.  So when BoT finally kills off the USD (with ChiCom hot money inflows)—wife & I will reverse our travels—Retire in USA and visit Thailand.

Which is exactly what we did. Now we do a few months over the winter in Khon Kaen.

The other thing that I think should exercise folks minds, is what does your wife do?

My wife who was educated in the US was able to restart her career in the US, that would have been impossible had we moved to Vietnam or the like.

8 hours ago, AllThaiedUp said:

Until there's a soi 6 or nana plaza or cowboy or something similar.. ain't gonna happen

Pretty sad when people base their life on hookers, but then again if it wasn't for the hookers, 90 percent of men would not be here.

13 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

Talk about it any way you like, Vietnam is still a communist country.  Things could go wrong there in a heart beat. 

I wouldn't get hung up on that label these days. More relevant is that it's an authoritarian country. Most authoritarian countries are not labelled communist and yet some of them are quite popular and quite good for expats. It's not like we're trying to be citizens there!

20 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

Talk about it any way you like, Vietnam is still a communist country.  Things could go wrong there in a heart beat. 

Unlike in a military dictatorship, you mean? I've seen things go wrong in Thailand - several times.

As for the blog piece that's being discussed here: Never mind that Vietnam doesn't even offer a retirement visa. That ridiculous article doesn't even mention that, but certainly that's one of the most important aspects.

4 hours ago, oznomad said:

These people are using dodgy agents and setting up fake businesses to get their visas.

NOT a problem when going about it the CORRECT way. 

I can post links to people that have used the 3 month multi entry for 10 years without a problem, yes 10 years.

my friend has just returned from his yearly visa run, goes about it the CORRECT way, and has never had a problem. Those that tried to scam their way thru Thai immigration are not finding it any easier to SCAM their way they viet immigration.

i can provide a reputable agent to help anyone to go about the CORRECT and LEGAL way to get a yearly visa.

send me a PM. 

image.png

Archived