Why the Retired Expat Exodus to Vietnam seems very real

rooster59

2 hours ago, madmen said:

The time has come for scamming old farts to head back to their home countries . SEA 

is changing fast for the poor pensioners with their poor currency. 

Well said, follow the rules in any country , have the money to follow the rules, and never a problem.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ron jeremy said:

Well said, follow the rules in any country , have the money to follow the rules, and never a problem.

Thailand is a Military run country that is going by the Chinese philosophy of, screw all when you can.

I have a retirement visa in Thailand. Last Feb. I renewed it. March I left. 

The retirement rules are nothing short of ridiculous. 

I have been exploring Mexico for the last few months and I can tell you without a doubt it beats Thailand in every way by leaps and bounds. 

Even my home in Texas is a far cry better than the Air pollution and <deleted>ty pollution Thailand has. It is one of the nastiest places I have ever visited. I lived there for 10 years but enough is enough. 

Honestly if not for my 10 year Thai GF I would off left years ago. I finally told her it was not working for me and left.

Women there are a dime a dozen, which is nice! But, the government has even screwed that up. 

Thailand is a <deleted> hole plain and simple.

22 minutes ago, garyk said:

The retirement rules are nothing short of ridiculous. 

Your statement is more ridiculous than their rules :glare:. For many of us, not many countries where we can get most of the modern world and where it's so easy to stay as a retiree.

10 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Your statement is more ridiculous than their rules :glare:. For many of us, not many countries where we can get most of the modern world and where it's so easy to stay as a retiree.

Easy?  Ridiculous is the proper word. 

2 minutes ago, garyk said:

Easy?  Ridiculous is the proper word. 

How difficult is it:

- to put 800k in a bank when you arrive and never touch it as long as you retire here ? or

- to show yearly an embassy's document proving that you earn yearly these 800k ?

PS: Yes, maybe less easy for English countries, but they are few and it's their choice.

10 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

How difficult is it:

- to put 800k in a bank when you arrive and never touch it as long as you retire here ? or

- to show yearly an embassy's document proving that you earn yearly these 800k ?

PS: Yes, maybe less easy for English countries, but they are few and it's their choice.

Not sure where you are from, but after traveling quite a bit. And looking at other countries retirement rules.  Thailand is a joke IMHO. 

A quick edit on this, I am an American and even before the embassy decided to stop the letters I had decided it was not a politically stable country. And surely not a country that I wanted to park 800K in just for a one year extension. That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. You have no rights, cannot buy land. I think a joke is not too harsh to describe Thailand as a stable and good retirement destination. 

7 minutes ago, garyk said:

Not sure where you are from, but after traveling quite a bit. And looking at other countries retirement rules.  Thailand is a joke IMHO. 

It's definitely gotten significantly more onerous and in return they've given nothing more. 

In my comparisons initial applications are often even harder but in return there is often an offer of real long term residency security. And this TM30 stuff. OMG, it's crazy!

In international ratings at least for retirement Thailand has generally dropped under the top 10 and I don't expect that to improve again. 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's definitely gotten significantly more onerous and in return they've given nothing more. 

In my comparisons initial applications are often even harder but in return there is often an offer of real long term residency security. And this TM30 stuff. OMG, it's crazy!

In international ratings at least for retirement Thailand has generally dropped under the top 10 and I don't expect that to improve again. 

Yea Thailand is a tough call for me. I enjoyed my 10 years there. But, unfortunately times change and it has not been for the better for Americans. 

Really if not for the horrible pollution, and if we were given the right to own a small piece of land. I would probably put up the 800K. 

But, lets face facts. It is a terrible place to put down roots. I don't know of one advantage to living their at this time? 

IMO if anyone decides to retire in Thailand? You should think of it as a mini retirement. One year at a time. Spend down the 800K and re up if you decide to stay another year. 

And make sure you have other options available if possible.

10 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Why did she buy a pickup truck she could not afford the repayments on? Did you support her decision. Frankly I would send her nothing and if the car is repossessed, well so be it. 

Obviously you have a problem with reading or comprehension of other peoples writings. She bought the pick up for HIM, but under her name, as finance was not an option for him. therefore she took the risk. HE couldn't afford it, apparently.

Some of our fellow retirees/expats are just as stupid as the Thais we ridicule, don't ya know? 

13 hours ago, keith101 said:

With the exchange rate with the aussie dollar I am now having to survive on under 36,000 baht from my age pension which s going to send me back in January when my next extension is due .

My step daughter got finance for a pickup for me in 2017 on 0% deposit (in her name) and the payments are 15,600 baht a month which she is go to be responsible for once I go back and I feel really bad for her , I will have to send her some money every month to try and help but considering the prices of things back home it wont be very much maybe only 5,000 baht per fortnightly payment .

Why should she be responsible for your what was in effect your loan?

1 hour ago, garyk said:

A quick edit on this, I am an American and even before the embassy decided to stop the letters I had decided it was not a politically stable country. And surely not a country that I wanted to park 800K in just for a one year extension. That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. You have no rights, cannot buy land. I think a joke is not too harsh to describe Thailand as a stable and good retirement destination. 

Maybe the "I am American" boast should have been left out?

Why do you want to buy land anyway? What rights are being denied to you? I parked 800,000 7 years ago. I've never had a problem doing anything yet. Daughter at private school, bought a house at 25% Oz price, (its hers) all the Western food I want, paid my way out of 3 dui's, Udon ID  is friendly and helpful. Etc, etc, etc,

Try the <deleted> we get away with here in Oz, Couldn't happen. It's a good retirement destination for me,but then again.. My glass is usually half full. Try it? 

19 minutes ago, madmen said:

Problem is with the other SEA countries with  more relaxed visas (for now ) is you actually have to live in them

How sad for the desperate that are forced in to that situation. 

Forced?  Hahaha. Amazing

3 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

Why do you want to buy land anyway? What rights are being denied to you? I parked 800,000 7 years ago. I've never had a problem doing anything yet. Daughter at private school, bought a house at 25% Oz price, (its hers) all the Western food I want, paid my way out of 3 dui's, Udon ID  is friendly and helpful. Etc, etc, etc,

Try the <deleted> we get away with here in Oz, or your "paradise" wouldn't happen. It's a good retirement destination for me,but then again.. My glass is usually half full. 

You don't get out much hu..  

23 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

Try the <deleted> we get away with here in Oz, Couldn't happen. It's a good retirement destination for me,but then again.. My glass is usually half full. Try it? 

Maybe the "I get away with impaired driving" should have been left out. Hope you don't kill anyone.

12 hours ago, AllThaiedUp said:

Until there's a soi 6 or nana plaza or cowboy or something similar.. ain't gonna happen

That is a good reality post.  To those that are not married and settled down, the extra curricula things available in Thailand really are a big draw, that and the in general "morally casual attitude" of many of many of the girls

37 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

Ok, let's see what can go wrong.

Your wife wants a divorce, and keeps the house, because it is her house. Not yours.

Thailand adopts 2 new laws: The first one is that you are not able anymore to transfer money out of the country. The second one is that starting next year you need 10 million in the bank for a new extension.

The problem is that even after living in Thailand for many years you still have no rights. This is very different than other countries where you will get a new passport or some kind of permanent residence after being married and living together for some years. You can enjoy now, but cannot be sure how it will be next year.

8 hours ago, Truthhurts said:

Grass is always greener for some!

Fact is many wouldnt be happy regardless of where they live.

A large proportion believe that because they are white the thais should be beholden to them.

As for cost.

Sure if you are a bar fly in the likes of pattaya or phuket then maybe times are tough.

Some of us dont need alcohol or cigarettes every day. Nor do need to east cholesterol laden british food followed by slobbering all over a lady of ill repute.

I like to cook at home (all cuisines ) and am happy to watch what I regard as mega cheap cable tv, go for walks.

Most months I struggle to spend 30k. We have no rent or finance payments on vehicles.

Yes things could be better as they could be everywhere in the world. Thailand is a developing not a developed country. Living in the uk or oz etc we pay( paid ) huge tax compared to the average employee here.

There is always a choice 

I am probably in the not always happy no matter where I live!  I am not a bar fly, don't smoke, light light drinker, no drugs.  At 62 I am getting bored with work and life and just not sure what to do next.  Just came back from 3 weeks in Thailand.  Same same but different    as they say after 12 previous trips since 2004.  I can afford just about any reasonable place quite easily.  All in all not bad problems, but the Thai paperwork, and constant updates and monitoring are exactly the type of things I hate, having dealt with USA military and government work and nutty engineering firm home room "Managers" for decades.  Nov 1 this year is my coin flip date.  My current job in San Diego just got some new tasking where I will be spending lots of time in the lab an getting Overtime, so I may go to that new building just for the variety.  Although if I leave this year, I avoid having California declare me a state resident and all that nonsense and I can go back to Florida, and just do some contract work for parts of the year as desired

After I tried most reasonable countries for possible retirement I figured that the one where I am citizen, USA, is the best and cheapest--I have house in Florida which cost me 300$ a month, medicine mostly free etc and nobody bother me. Yes, drawback is females who think they sit on gold mine and for that I have vacation in Thailand. Nothing perfect. 

34 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Ok, let's see what can go wrong.

Your wife wants a divorce, and keeps the house, because it is her house. Not yours.

Thailand adopts 2 new laws: The first one is that you are not able anymore to transfer money out of the country. The second one is that starting next year you need 10 million in the bank for a new extension.

The problem is that even after living in Thailand for many years you still have no rights. This is very different than other countries where you will get a new passport or some kind of permanent residence after being married and living together for some years. You can enjoy now, but cannot be sure how it will be next year.

Yes allot of countries will give you residence. Much better, especially when you start to age.   Reading through post's here. People that don't mind these rules are people married to a Thai. And it wouldn't matter what rule's were, they would abide and defend them. Strange lot IMO but? 

14 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

Count me as one of the ones who will be leaving soon. Just need to sell the house and I'll be on the next plane out. I've been here for over 12 years now and back when I first came here, I couldn't say enough good things about Thailand. I have plenty of monthly income to qualify for immigration's requirements so, it's not the money that's the problem for me. It's more the attitude of the Thai government towards us expats. I can't help but feel like I'm being treated like some sort of low life criminal who's trying to scam Thailand. They seem to be sitting around behind closed door meetings trying to come up with new ways to harass us. The government has given me the feeling that they really don't want me living here full time. They just want me to be a wealthy tourist that comes to Thailand and drops loads of cash into their pockets and then leaves within 2 or 3 weeks.

Well, they got part of their wish with me about leaving, but I won't be back as a tourist, ever again. 

Apart from this forum when have you experienced Thai hostility. 

9 minutes ago, olfu said:

After I tried most reasonable countries for possible retirement I figured that the one where I am citizen, USA, is the best and cheapest--I have house in Florida which cost me 300$ a month, medicine mostly free etc and nobody bother me. Yes, drawback is females who think they sit on gold mine and for that I have vacation in Thailand. Nothing perfect. 

Hahaha, same here. I thank my lucky stars I never sold out in the states.  Woooo.  I can't imagine the consequences.

4 hours ago, lahgon29 said:

Is that something to be proud of ...paid your way out of Driving whilst drunk ?

so you have no respect for others that innocent people you could have killed or injured?

Certainly not something to be proud of , and i bet your not young either

Is that something to be proud of ...paid your way out of Driving whilst drunk ?

so you have no respect for others that innocent people you could have killed or injured?

Certainly not something to be proud of , and i bet your not young either

Well said.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived