BANGKOK
rooster59

Why the Retired Expat Exodus to Vietnam seems very real

2 hours ago, madmen said:

The time has come for scamming old farts to head back to their home countries . SEA 

is changing fast for the poor pensioners with their poor currency. 

Well said, follow the rules in any country , have the money to follow the rules, and never a problem.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, garyk said:

The retirement rules are nothing short of ridiculous. 

Your statement is more ridiculous than their rules :glare:. For many of us, not many countries where we can get most of the modern world and where it's so easy to stay as a retiree.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, madmen said:

The time has come for scamming old farts to head back to their home countries . SEA 

is changing fast for the poor pensioners with their poor currency. 

Just got off the boat? Good luck, you may learn - or perhaps not.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Your statement is more ridiculous than their rules :glare:. For many of us, not many countries where we can get most of the modern world and where it's so easy to stay as a retiree.

Easy?  Ridiculous is the proper word. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, garyk said:

Easy?  Ridiculous is the proper word. 

How difficult is it:

- to put 800k in a bank when you arrive and never touch it as long as you retire here ? or

- to show yearly an embassy's document proving that you earn yearly these 800k ?

PS: Yes, maybe less easy for English countries, but they are few and it's their choice.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

How difficult is it:

- to put 800k in a bank when you arrive and never touch it as long as you retire here ? or

- to show yearly an embassy's document proving that you earn yearly these 800k ?

PS: Yes, maybe less easy for English countries, but they are few and it's their choice.

Not sure where you are from, but after traveling quite a bit. And looking at other countries retirement rules.  Thailand is a joke IMHO. 

A quick edit on this, I am an American and even before the embassy decided to stop the letters I had decided it was not a politically stable country. And surely not a country that I wanted to park 800K in just for a one year extension. That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. You have no rights, cannot buy land. I think a joke is not too harsh to describe Thailand as a stable and good retirement destination. 

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, garyk said:

Not sure where you are from, but after traveling quite a bit. And looking at other countries retirement rules.  Thailand is a joke IMHO. 

It's definitely gotten significantly more onerous and in return they've given nothing more. 

In my comparisons initial applications are often even harder but in return there is often an offer of real long term residency security. And this TM30 stuff. OMG, it's crazy!

In international ratings at least for retirement Thailand has generally dropped under the top 10 and I don't expect that to improve again. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Problem is with the other SEA countries with  more relaxed visas (for now ) is you actually have to live in them

How sad for the desperate that are forced in to that situation. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Why did she buy a pickup truck she could not afford the repayments on? Did you support her decision. Frankly I would send her nothing and if the car is repossessed, well so be it. 

Obviously you have a problem with reading or comprehension of other peoples writings. She bought the pick up for HIM, but under her name, as finance was not an option for him. therefore she took the risk. HE couldn't afford it, apparently.

Some of our fellow retirees/expats are just as stupid as the Thais we ridicule, don't ya know? 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, keith101 said:

With the exchange rate with the aussie dollar I am now having to survive on under 36,000 baht from my age pension which s going to send me back in January when my next extension is due .

My step daughter got finance for a pickup for me in 2017 on 0% deposit (in her name) and the payments are 15,600 baht a month which she is go to be responsible for once I go back and I feel really bad for her , I will have to send her some money every month to try and help but considering the prices of things back home it wont be very much maybe only 5,000 baht per fortnightly payment .

Why should she be responsible for your what was in effect your loan?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garyk said:

A quick edit on this, I am an American and even before the embassy decided to stop the letters I had decided it was not a politically stable country. And surely not a country that I wanted to park 800K in just for a one year extension. That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. You have no rights, cannot buy land. I think a joke is not too harsh to describe Thailand as a stable and good retirement destination. 

Maybe the "I am American" boast should have been left out?

Why do you want to buy land anyway? What rights are being denied to you? I parked 800,000 7 years ago. I've never had a problem doing anything yet. Daughter at private school, bought a house at 25% Oz price, (its hers) all the Western food I want, paid my way out of 3 dui's, Udon ID  is friendly and helpful. Etc, etc, etc,

Try the <deleted> we get away with here in Oz, Couldn't happen. It's a good retirement destination for me,but then again.. My glass is usually half full. Try it? 

Edited by lahgon29
Spelling
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, madmen said:

Problem is with the other SEA countries with  more relaxed visas (for now ) is you actually have to live in them

How sad for the desperate that are forced in to that situation. 

Forced?  Hahaha. Amazing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

Maybe the "I am American" boast should have been left out?

Why do you want to buy land anyway? What rights are being denied to you? I parked 800,000 7 years ago. I've never had a problem doing anything yet. Daughter at private school, bought a house at 25% Oz price, (its hers) all the Western food I want, paid my way out of 3 dui's, Udon ID  is friendly and helpful. Etc, etc, etc,

Try the <deleted> we get away with here in Oz, or your "paradise" wouldn't happen. It's a good retirement destination for me,but then again.. My glass is usually half full. 

You don't get out much hu..