BANGKOK
rooster59

Why the Retired Expat Exodus to Vietnam seems very real

All this talk about putting 800K in the bank or not being able to afford to live here is the biggest crock I have ever herd of in my life. It has nothing to do what so ever with if you can afford to live in Thailand!  It is a money grab plain and simple.

Other countries let you show proof of having 800K or what ever in you bank. And most have a 6 month seasoning period. You show your bank statements and show 30K or so US dollars, and show a minimum monthly amount coming into your account and they issue a retirement visa. It has to be re-done every few years then you receive a residency visa.

Countries that really want expats know if you have that kind of money it will be spent period. On the people, merchandise. It will greatly help the local economy period.

Thailand doesn't care what so ever anymore if you help the local economy. The banks and Government only want money seasoned from outside of Thailand coming into their country. 

I mean they can do what ever they want to do, it is their country. But, for foreigners to say it is because expats have abused the system and actually condone this is extremely ignorant IMHO.

Sure it will dive out some, and others ( the majority of the expats looking for a place to hang their hat will see it as a joke ). 

It will cost them millions in the local economy. It is already a joke to most expats looking for a place to retire.  

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, garyk said:

it is their country

enough said.. whining that it is a different culture, language with different rules and ways of looking at things seems a waste of time... do expats in Siberia complain that it is cold?

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

do expats in Siberia complain that it is cold?

I'm sure that they do. Just log on to Siberia Visa and see how many threads there are on the cold weather.

• Haha 2

Just now, DannyCarlton said:

I'm sure that they do. Just log on to Siberia Visa and see how many threads there are on the cold weather.

and how is it working out for them? 

42 baht to the pound, the lowest it has ever been??? I guess the writer of the article was not around in the early 1980's !!

But you would have still been better off then you are now because it would have cost you 500 Baht to fill up your shopping trolley then whereas now it costs 3,000 Baht. 

• Like 1

Switch to a Marriage Extension as soon as you can;  it's nowhere near as daunting as some people will have you believe.   I've been on one for 12 years, renewed last week , all done in 25 minutes.
Can you say where you did it and what paperwork was needed?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nobody knows why immigration continues to tighten the screws & is enforcing TM30, except the government and immigration, and I wonder if the clamp-down was much more than a knee jerk reaction. I like the Thai people and distrust the government, I don't love it here though. I have lived here for 20 years, I help many Thai people in need, I have never been arrested, or failed to meet immigration requirements, regardless I'm nothing more than a lump of sh!t in the eyes of the government and at this point, considering my age and situation, I not going to move, I honestly think, those who find a way to stay may not be the happy ones, but they certainly are the strong ones. 

Edited by FigaroLucowski
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Talk about it any way you like, Vietnam is still a communist country.  Things could go wrong there in a heart beat. 

As long as you keep out of local politics most communist states seem to be a lot more stable these days than many of the rising fascist states in the west.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

These people are using dodgy agents and setting up fake businesses to get their visas.

NOT a problem when going about it the CORRECT way. 

I can post links to people that have used the 3 month multi entry for 10 years without a problem, yes 10 years.

my friend has just returned from his yearly visa run, goes about it the CORRECT way, and has never had a problem. Those that tried to scam their way thru Thai immigration are not finding it any easier to SCAM their way they viet immigration.

i can provide a reputable agent to help anyone to go about the CORRECT and LEGAL way to get a yearly visa.

send me a PM. 

image.png

I am just the messenger, but his info is fresh - hot off the press. He doesnt use dodgy agents.

23 hours ago, gearbox said:

Inevitably the prices will rise there too. If anyone is making plans for Vietnam longer than 5 years and factoring today's prices, they are fooling themselves.

I can't understand why anyone would make plans to migrate to another country with a barely sufficient, stagnant income and expect prices there to stay the same for any period, let alone 5 years. Inflation is a fact of life, if your income doesn't move with it, you need to have reserves to cover all contingencies. 

Perhaps that's part of the reason so many here are in financial difficulty now. They factored in just the basic amount needed and didn't allow for rising costs (or never had the money in the first place and hoped lying about it would last forever!).

Of course, the ever increasing officious requirements in the name of "national security" is a good reason to get out for many. This country seems to be in the grip of a military government with aspirations of becoming a full blown dictatorship.  The stacking of the senate and the guy's refusal to take the constitutional oath of office are good indicators.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 10:45 AM, Seismic said:

42 baht to the pound, the lowest it has ever been??? I guess the writer of the article was not around in the early 1980's !!

The baht hovered at 25 to the $ and 36 to the £ for many years, until the Thai currency collapsed in 1998.

On 8/31/2019 at 12:14 PM, trainman34014 said:

Switch to a Marriage Extension as soon as you can;  it's nowhere near as daunting as some people will have you believe.   I've been on one for 12 years, renewed last week , all done in 25 minutes.

Well, yes. 400k vs 800k but one is in limbo for 30 days & must return to hear the result. Whinging? Yes!