Why the Retired Expat Exodus to Vietnam seems very real

rooster59

47 minutes ago, Bobsuruncle said:

Back in 2007 when I first arrived I suppose you could say that I was looking through rose colored glasses. Having a young beautiful Thai woman telling me that I was handsome and treating me like I had never been treated before by a woman had a lot to do with how great I was feeling in Thailand. The different culture was new to me and appealing. Although back then, I don't remember ever feeling like immigration hated me being here or having to report when I left the province for 24 hours or hearing the government trying to blame us farang for the financial woes of their hospitals. 

Maybe it was the same back then as it is now and I just didn't see it. But I definitely notice it now.

That's a good assessment. I agree with you and in fact, I too once held rosy views of this place, for me that period was back in 1999-2006. Although I started to "get it" after a while, I think by the time I was mastering the language quite well (which was around 2007) it hit me - Thailand is OK but to consider it paradise is a bit of a stretch. Still, as you say there was that air of mystery and relative freedom - being able to ride in the tray of a pickup truck, not having to worry about speed limits, alcohol available freely everywhere, many things being cheaper, that's what I noticed back then. Now there are more laws and more rules in place that make Thailand feel far less free than back then. It wasn't until around 2012-2013 that I started to feel that perhaps there are greener pastures than Thailand although I have been going back and forth on this for a while. Now I am becoming more confident that in the not too distant future, an exodus out of Thailand may be the best thing to do, but going to Vietnam isn't the answer. It's repressive there too, just in a different way.

On the hospital note - isn't it Burmese and Cambodians that are the source of their woes, if anything? Farang are a tiny proportion of patients. The majority of farang who actually seek treatment at Thai hospitals do so at private ones and usually have insurance or at least the ability to pay for their treatment.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, drbeach said:

That's a good assessment. I agree with you and in fact, I too once held rosy views of this place, for me that period was back in 1999-2006. Although I started to "get it" after a while, I think by the time I was mastering the language quite well (which was around 2007) it hit me - Thailand is OK but to consider it paradise is a bit of a stretch. Still, as you say there was that air of mystery and relative freedom - being able to ride in the tray of a pickup truck, not having to worry about speed limits, alcohol available freely everywhere, many things being cheaper, that's what I noticed back then. Now there are more laws and more rules in place that make Thailand feel far less free than back then. It wasn't until around 2012-2013 that I started to feel that perhaps there are greener pastures than Thailand although I have been going back and forth on this for a while. Now I am becoming more confident that in the not too distant future, an exodus out of Thailand may be the best thing to do, but going to Vietnam isn't the answer. It's repressive there too, just in a different way.

On the hospital note - isn't it Burmese and Cambodians that are the source of their woes, if anything? Farang are a tiny proportion of patients. The majority of farang who actually seek treatment at Thai hospitals do so at private ones and usually have insurance or at least the ability to pay for their treatment.

What would you advise learn the language or not? I think when you know the language and can't hide from the truth anymore it's much less fun in Thailand. 

On 8/31/2019 at 4:11 PM, Bobsuruncle said:

Count me as one of the ones who will be leaving soon. Just need to sell the house and I'll be on the next plane out. I've been here for over 12 years now and back when I first came here, I couldn't say enough good things about Thailand. I have plenty of monthly income to qualify for immigration's requirements so, it's not the money that's the problem for me. It's more the attitude of the Thai government towards us expats. I can't help but feel like I'm being treated like some sort of low life criminal who's trying to scam Thailand. They seem to be sitting around behind closed door meetings trying to come up with new ways to harass us. The government has given me the feeling that they really don't want me living here full time. They just want me to be a wealthy tourist that comes to Thailand and drops loads of cash into their pockets and then leaves within 2 or 3 weeks.

Well, they got part of their wish with me about leaving, but I won't be back as a tourist, ever again. 

Thai wife and I moved "back home" in July.   She is a dual citizen.  All of the above and quite a few more reasons, admittedly some of those are important only to our particular circumstances.   We are very happy away from LOS except family connections "there" but we are certainly happy to reconnect (most of) the family connections here, again.

20 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

What would you advise learn the language or not? I think when you know the language and can't hide from the truth anymore it's much less fun in Thailand. 

Definitely learn the language. Otherwise every encounter with a Thai, other than in expat/tourist zones and airports is frustrating and leads to misunderstandings. I think it's much better to learn as much as you can about a country you are resident in and face the truth than remain in a state of ignorance (this is a general comment about foreigners who refuse to learn the language despite intending to live here indefinitely).

On 9/3/2019 at 2:00 PM, Bobsuruncle said:

Having a young beautiful Thai woman telling me that I was handsome and treating me like I had never been treated before by a woman had a lot to do with how great I was feeling in Thailand.

Or even, how gullible you are ?

After being a visitor to Thailand for 20 years 

owning a house for 16 years 

having various business in Thailand 

it looks like this year will be my last 

I’m looking to relocate to Cambodia 

or vietnam 

most of the expats I have spoken to are thinking the same some have already left I do not think the Thai government have a clue how much expats contributes to the Thai economy 

with the support they give to the families and farmers in Thailand 

properties they buy

cars motorcycle food clothes the list goes on and on 

it’s the Thai people I feel sorry for 

as in most countries the government is out of touch with what is going on in there own country and the will of the people 

will the last expat to leave please close the door on a once fantastic country to live 

rip 

1 hour ago, Cobby said:

After being a visitor to Thailand for 20 years 

owning a house for 16 years 

having various business in Thailand 

it looks like this year will be my last 

I’m looking to relocate to Cambodia 

or vietnam 

most of the expats I have spoken to are thinking the same some have already left I do not think the Thai government have a clue how much expats contributes to the Thai economy 

with the support they give to the families and farmers in Thailand 

properties they buy

cars motorcycle food clothes the list goes on and on 

it’s the Thai people I feel sorry for 

as in most countries the government is out of touch with what is going on in there own country and the will of the people 

will the last expat to leave please close the door on a once fantastic country to live 

rip 

Cambodia is not a good choice.

You'll feel even more frustrated there than here. Sihanoukville is a no-go zone unless you're Chinese. Seriously, many Chinese owned businesses there won't even let you enter when they see your white face. Talk about racism.

Hun Sen constantly goes on an anti-western tirade every time he appears on TV.

Cambodians are even more sensitive to criticism of their culture and behavior than Thais. Be careful before accusing someone of being "wrong".

The equivalent of TM30s are also required now in Cambodia according to a recent article in the Bangkok Post. No idea whether not doing one will affect visa extensions but I can imagine if not now, in the future they will really be cracking down.

Foreigners over 50 can't marry Cambodians.

Foreigners can't purchase second hand motorcycles (not sure about cars) and can only get 1-year driving licenses.

Cambodia's infrastructure is terrible especially their hospitals. All hospitals have dual pricing, and this is also common for long-distance bus fares and many tourist attractions. Aside from bus fares, dual pricing is of course also common in the Thai public hospital sector and for tourist attractions.

Relocating to Vietnam might not be a bad choice. The infrastructure is way better than Cambodia's though not as good as Thailand's. Private hospitals in the major 3 cities are not bad. Dual pricing is far less common than in either country, though not non-existent either.

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

Cambodia is not a good choice.

You'll feel even more frustrated there than here. Sihanoukville is a no-go zone unless you're Chinese. Seriously, many Chinese owned businesses there won't even let you enter when they see your white face. Talk about racism.

Hun Sen constantly goes on an anti-western tirade every time he appears on TV.

Cambodians are even more sensitive to criticism of their culture and behavior than Thais. Be careful before accusing someone of being "wrong".

The equivalent of TM30s are also required now in Cambodia according to a recent article in the Bangkok Post. No idea whether not doing one will affect visa extensions but I can imagine if not now, in the future they will really be cracking down.

Foreigners can't purchase second hand motorcycles (not sure about cars) and can only get 1-year driving licenses.

Cambodia's infrastructure is terrible especially their hospitals. All hospitals have dual pricing, and this is also common for long-distance bus fares and many tourist attractions. Aside from bus fares, dual pricing is of course also common in the Thai public hospital sector and for tourist attractions.

Relocating to Vietnam might not be a bad choice. The infrastructure is way better than Cambodia's though not as good as Thailand's. Private hospitals in the major 3 cities are not bad. Dual pricing is far less common than in either country, though not non-existent either.

first sentence may be true but after that slowly goes off into fantasy land

On 9/4/2019 at 12:05 PM, drbeach said:

Definitely learn the language. Otherwise every encounter with a Thai, other than in expat/tourist zones and airports is frustrating and leads to misunderstandings. I think it's much better to learn as much as you can about a country you are resident in and face the truth than remain in a state of ignorance (this is a general comment about foreigners who refuse to learn the language despite intending to live here indefinitely).

Lived here nearly 10 years and hardly ever speak to Thais.

Apart from my family that all speak English.

I did go into a coffee shop earlier this week, "Lar-tay ron, song gairw kap"

No frustration.

23 hours ago, drbeach said:

1) They changed that law last year. No restrictions now.

2) Cambodia is part of Asean, they have to accept Thai 5 year d/ls.

On 8/30/2019 at 11:58 PM, GeorgeCross said:

re: exchange rates - there's a simple solution - earn some money in baht to fill the hole, et voila, problem solved

many do & many have said goodbye to their problems.. put those wives and girlfriends to work boys!

Do you know what the average Thai makes a month? It will hardly save the day.

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2019 at 1:06 PM, quandow said:

we've built a comfortable life here and it's just not quite bad enough to leave - yet.

What do you mean "bad enough?" 

What would have to get worse for life in Thailand to become "bad enough" to leave? 

Archived