Improvements made to TM30 online as business leaders call for review of controversial reporting requirement

rooster59

Improvements made to TM30 online as business leaders call for review of controversial reporting requirement

tm30.jpg

Immigration officials have said new measures already put in place should help to reduce the waiting time for applicants to receive a username and password in order to file a TM30 report online.

For months, expats have taken to Thaivisa to air their frustrations at the delays at being able to properly register for the TM30 online system, with scores of reports of people having to wait up to six weeks before they have been sent a username and password. 

However, speaking to Khaosod English, Col. Thatchapong Sarawanangkul from Immigration Division 1, said it should now take around one week to receive a username and password.

Col. Thatchapong, who also spoke on the matter of TM30 at the Foreign Correspondents Club earlier this month, reiterated that delays with online system are mainly due to applicants failing to submit the correct documentation.

“Someone even sent us a selfie of himself and his Thai wife, instead of a document,” Col. Thatchapong told Khaosod. 

While some users are still reporting delays with the online system, recent weeks have seen a small but noticeable increase in reports on Thaivisa from people who have successfully been able to use the TM30 online system (here and here).

The interview with Khaosod also touched on the strain the Immigration Bureau finds itself under having to cope with 35 million tourists who visit Thailand each year, millions of migrant workers from neighbouring countries and a significant expat community. 

Read the article in full here.

Meanwhile, the Bangkok Post reported on Saturday that the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand have called for a “significant review” of the TM30 reporting requirement.

"Ease of doing business is a hallmark of any nation's attractiveness for trade, investment and tourism. We commend the government for positive steps in 'ease of doing business'. Currently TM30 is undoing those good achievements. Our neighbours do not have this continuous tracking requirement, Chairman of the JFCCT, Stanley Kang told the Bangkok Post. 

Earlier this week, the controversial TM30 reporting requirement received international news coverage when it was reported by the BBC.

The report highlighted the plight of a 25 year old English teacher from the US, who said that  TM30 and other immigration related issues had made her feel not welcome in Thailand. 

Earlier this month the issue of TM30 also featured in the Nikkei Asia Review, where is was called “draconian”, “a Cold War relic” and “inhibits freedom of movement”.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-31

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait for a

10 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

The easy solution would be to scrap it

Wait ten minutes and the normal government stooges will be along to tell you, it's the law, it's easy, stop whining and if you do not like it leave. 

21 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Earlier this month the issue of TM30 also featured in the

Nikkei Asia Review, where is was called “draconian”, “a Cold War relic” and “inhibits freedom of movement”.

The fact that the Japanese picked up on it is key. The Thais would take more seriously Japanese expats as Japan is the largest investor in Thailand by far. 

I'm sure the Japanese have been quietly lobbying the Thais. 

“The easy solution would be to scrap it

Why don't they change the name of the visa and call it what it really is?: "House Arrest Visa". And instead of the TM 30, just clamp on a leg monitor so they always know where you are.

I am more than 25 years married, but still considered as a potential bad guy?
They should not put all people under general suspicion when they expect some issues with criminals. My wife has permanent residency in Germany and most over the year decided not to live in Thailand. I expect the same respect in Thailand as my country gives to her. We have a house here, but probably I can no longer stay there and are forced to live in a hotel, when I travel around Thailand for business and return.
Online improvements are fine but they are not the real problem.

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

31 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The interview with Khaosod also touched on the strain the Immigration Bureau finds itself under having to cope with 35 million tourists who visit Thailand each year, millions of migrant workers from neighbouring countries and a significant expat community. 

oh cry me a river

am i supposed to feel sorry for the additional workload THEY placed on THEMSELVES

jaysus.

I have from a reliable source that Phuket immigration dont want you going there, overloaded already with people who dont read here on TV asking for information what to do, they have to explain to almost every farang that walks through the door  

More talk and excuses from the Immigration department.

This is the 21st century - the digital age - so start acting like it - but Thai offices everywhere work like they are approaching the 20th Century! Hello !!! The world around you has changed a bit since the 70’s!

I have a suggestion - if you can not handle the amount of tourists, workers and expats with your overblown workforce - invite some foreigners in to handle it for you!

Inquire in Austria and Switzerland - two tiny little countries who combined welcome twice the amount of tourist arrivals of Thailand with a fraction of the immigration police force and they don’t seem to encounter all these problems!

The Thai police force including immigration employ 230.000 people - Germany with a larger population of 83 million and larger airports and ports to handle has approx. 40.000 people in its police force!

So what are all theses tax, time and oxygen wasters here doing all day - carrying mountains of useless paper from one place to another ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This just in from the Bamboo Grapevine: The TM30 turns out to be nice little money maker and my wife says that I was right. I was not surprised. You see after living here for 20 years, I can often forecast the future.

We live out in the boonies and my wife deals with our rental properties in Bangkok. She has done a great job for years and takes care of all the bits and pieces necessary to collect rent. However, the TM30 scheme has created confusion and she recently called her immigration friend.  Now, this friend has been involved with immigration matters for donkey years and knows how the system works. On this matter she simply said that have to jump through the hoops. To much money is being collected. The dam has broken and is not going to be repaired is what she actually said.

I already knew that from previous observations. If one money stream dries up, the Thai officials will always find some more water somewhere. It is actually pretty smart and is always predictable...

So nothing has changed as originally it was supposed to be 7 days aswell ,I on 16 day wait at the moment,,,I think the issue is if you have submitted wrong documents they do not send email to tell you this.....I might just send a picture of my house.

54 minutes ago, law ling said:

Wonder if I should apply again, under the new, improved system: "it should now take around one week to receive a username and password" - or if I should just keep waiting for a response to my original application.

The Immigration guy speaking to Khaosod of supposed improvements is apparently part of the same contingent that recently told the FCCT that nothing was wrong and their TM30 system was just fine....   Their credibility on this point, and others, is below zero.

I have from a reliable source that Phuket immigration dont want you going there, overloaded already with people who dont read here on TV asking for information what to do, they have to explain to almost every farang that walks through the door  

Good idea, Phuket expats get together and down to immigration office and bombard them with questions until they break

Sent from my FisherPrice telephone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There are 3 reasons why TM30 is unlikely to get scrapped.

1. Military is patriotic. When military is in power (spare me the elections coverage), focus is on nationalism and ridding country of undesirables, in their view all non-Thais.

2. This is a really nice money maker. Making rules so difficult that most would rather pay a fine than follow means a lot of money for nothing from fines of those caught ignoring it.

3. Information is collected (and seems in some computer database) which will one day get linked with Revenue department, which will use provided rental agreements and landlord information to go after those renting out property without paying taxes.

It has nothing to do with national security. It's all about money and getting rid of the people they dislike.

What gets me is that the Authorities that be don't even realise why this draconian law is so bad.
Wonder how Thai's would react if they had to do it? I'm sure the draconian government would love that.
It's like criminals reporting for probation but at least they can do that at the local cop shop,

Archived