Right on time: Phuket Immigration explain TM30 and TM28 requirements for reporting foreigners

rooster59

Right on time: Phuket Immigration explain TM30 and TM28 requirements for reporting foreigners 

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1567153165_1-org.jpg

An officer at Phuket Immigration stamps an approval on an extension to stay. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: Phuket Immigration this week made it very clear that foreigners applying for any extension of stay will not be held liable for filing the TM30 form, made infamous in recent weeks by waves of confusion elsewhere in the country.

“No, we don’t hold foreigners responsible for filing the TM30. Foreigners just need to make sure that they fill in a TM28. The TM30 is the landlord’s job,” Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Col Nareuwat Putthawiro said plainly on Wednesday (Aug 28).

The TM30 is the form for landlords to report to Immigration within 24 hours of the arrival of any foreign tenants, as required under Section 38 of the Thailand Immigration Act of 1979.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/right-on-time- phuket-immigration-explain-tm30-and-tm28-requirements-for-reporting-foreigners-72693.php#1e9lqE4ZWcrS6CBz.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-08-31

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So as I understand this, I did a 90 day report yesterday (TM47), and I have gone to stay at my friends for the weekend I have to complete a TM28 and my friend has to complete a TM30 within 24 hours. 

On returning home on Monday I have to complete another TM28 and my wife has to complete another TM30 within 24 hours to say I have returned?

Madness!!

So as I understand this, I did a 90 day report yesterday (TM47), and I have gone to stay at my friends for the weekend I have to complete a TM28 and my friend has to complete a TM30 within 24 hours. 
On returning home on Monday I have to complete another TM28 and my wife has to complete another TM30 within 24 hours to say I have returned?

Madness!!
And by the time all that is registered, you will have to do a new 90 day report.

Life in Thailand is a merry-go-round.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I recently returned from two nights in BKK.  The next day, within 24 hours, I reported to my local Immigration Office.  I took a completed TM28 and, because of the confused reporting on the subject, a completed TM30 with me.  With no delay the lady IO processed both forms and pinned the notification slip for each in my passport.  Not only that but she spotted that my 90 day visit was due in two weeks time so she did that as well to save me another trip.  It can work.

38 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Madness!!

Not fully correct: according to the article the foreigner only needs to file a TM28 within 24 hours after returning to his home-address.  But the friend where he stayed during his trip, has to file a TM30, and the landlord of his home-address also has to file a TM30 on his return. 

So if you live in your own condo, on your return you should file a TM28 (as foreigner returning to his home-address) and a TM30 (if you are the owner of the condo).  Basically we are talking about the same information.

I agree that this is utter madness, and expect that this will not be enforced by most IO's.

So it looks that we are on the brink of second tidal wave of comments if it turns out that IO really means it.

On 8/31/2019 at 11:59 AM, BigBadGeordie said:

Madness!!

yes that about sums it up, it is the most ridiculous cluster <deleted> I have ever experienced - you want to enjoy a weekend away from your permanent residence you will spend most of that time filling in forms, so you go to Bangkok for one night, you spend all day in traffic trying to find immigration stand in a queue for hours and file a TM28 - then do it all again if you go somewhere else, next you'll need a (deleted)ing work permit for the time you spent completing all of this

52 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Madness!!

You need to limit your friends to those who live within your own province... ????

7 minutes ago, losername said:

I recently returned from two nights in BKK.  The next day, within 24 hours, I reported to my local Immigration Office.  I took a completed TM28 and, because of the confused reporting on the subject, a completed TM30 with me.  With no delay the lady IO processed both forms and pinned the notification slip for each in my passport.  Not only that but she spotted that my 90 day visit was due in two weeks time so she did that as well to save me another trip.  It can work.

did you report a TM30 or TM28 in Bangkok ????????????

No it can't work ????

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Not fully correct: according to the article the foreigner only needs to file a TM28 within 24 hours after returning to his home-address.  But the friend where he stayed during his trip, has to file a TM30, and the landlord of his home-address also has to file a TM30 on his return. 

So if you live in your own condo, on your return you should file a TM28 (as foreigner returning to his home-address) and a TM30 (if you are the owner of the condo).  Basically we are talking about the same information.

I agree that this is utter madness, and expect that this will not be enforced by most IO's.

So it looks that we are on the brink of second tidal wave of comments if it turns out that IO really means it.

I rent a house so how is the landlord supposed to know if I have been away or not.

41 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

Yeah they don’t really want you to do it they just want the fine money as much as they can get

100% correct

it is a disgrace for an official dept of any country to behave this way

56 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Madness!!

Yeh lol

Tho I never heard about TM28

I go to US embassy in bkk woth gf we stay night then we back Pattaya she have to go immigration. Well book hotel in her name and dont give them my id might be an option

4 minutes ago, lensta said:

I rent a house so how is the landlord supposed to know if I have been away or not.

exactly - they don't 

you will have to tell them and if they are unavailable you and/or your landlord will get hit with a big fine (depending of course on what office you use)

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

did you report a TM30 or TM28 in Bangkok ????????????

No it can't work ????

According to the full article the TM28 only has to be done on returning to your home location and the TM30 is done by the person (hotel in my case) where you stay while away.

Why aren't the HQ guy's intelligent enough to make such a clear and simple statement.   Now Phuket farang know where they stand.   

But what about the other 95% of us ?   Will our IOs observe the same procedures.

I flew home after working away for 2 months, after the filling in the arrival form I wrote on my home address stating I was returning home. Thats it! I have never reported to immigration nor have I ever been asked about it. True I am listed as joint owner of my house as was required at the local government office has it was purchased after we were married. plus we stayed 3 days in Pattaya before returning home. I have just departed again to work overseas. and nothing is said. So I assume this is for Expats who don't have their names on deeds, which is a simple government offer is purchased or built after you are married. Sure we are registered at any hotel we stay at. but, then that is done in any country. As for reporting if we are staying with friends for a few days, never. 

37 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

In local Imm Office yesterday...wife asked about this issue....IO simply said Mai Pen Rai....so now we won't bother..not that we ever have.

Same for me. They did not want me to file a tm28. I guess until they need the fine! 

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

exactly - they don't 

you will have to tell them and if they are unavailable you and/or your landlord will get hit with a big fine (depending of course on what office you use)

If I go to visit family outside CM, I'm not going to tell IMM at all on my return. A hotel, well that's different.

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

A hotel, well that's different.

No need the hotel inform them you stayed 'X' number of nights, so, unless the computer flags another holel afterwards they should assume you have returned home. but, running down and telling them you are home, makes their job easier. If they wanna see ya, they can phone or visit. But, you do it for them.

26 minutes ago, smedly said:

yes that about sums it up, it is the most ridiculous cluster F I have ever experienced - you want to enjoy a weekend away from your permanent residence you will spend most of that time filling in forms, so you go to Bangkok for one night, you spend all day in traffic trying to find immigration stand in a queue for hours and file a TM28 - then do it all again if you go somewhere else, next you'll need a (deleted)ing work permit for the time you spent completing all of this

post it

Compare the pair, Thailand and Russia. In Russia I have a 365 day business visa, my only requirement is on each 90th day I step in and out of the country. When I travel internally of Russia albeit, car, train, or fly there is a  seamless checking scan of my passport visa page by the FSB as well as asking where I am heading ( obviously flights they know where I am going). No useless paperwork, no lining up in many hours in queues, no fines, no aggressiveness. 

Archived