Right on time: Phuket Immigration explain TM30 and TM28 requirements for reporting foreigners

rooster59

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone explain what the good news is? Doesn't;t this mean I still have to waste days on end per year reporting to immigration anytime I step outside my front door? Where is the good news in that? Filing a TM30 or a TM 28, it is the trip to the IO I object to, especially after I have given my address to immigration officials at the airport the day before.

10 hours ago, legend49 said:

Compare the pair, Thailand and Russia. In Russia I have a 365 day business visa, my only requirement is on each 90th day I step in and out of the country. When I travel internally of Russia albeit, car, train, or fly there is a  seamless checking scan of my passport visa page by the FSB as well as asking where I am heading ( obviously flights they know where I am going). No useless paperwork, no lining up in many hours in queues, no fines, no aggressiveness.

They prefer having people calling them monkeys not stayu in their country

they are trying to preserve thailand.

As much as the tm30 annoys me, i will never complain about it. I want Thailand to stay thais and i want whiny angry racist sexpats to go back home.  Immigrants have destroyed my country and i'd prefer if immigrants didnt destroy thailand.

9 hours ago, legend49 said:

Compare the pair, Thailand and Russia. In Russia I have a 365 day business visa, my only requirement is on each 90th day I step in and out of the country. When I travel internally of Russia albeit, car, train, or fly there is a  seamless checking scan of my passport visa page by the FSB as well as asking where I am heading ( obviously flights they know where I am going). No useless paperwork, no lining up in many hours in queues, no fines, no aggressiveness.  So what is wrong with the monkeys here?

Um.... They're not Russian?

Hang on, have I got this right? I own my own condo and have successfully registered with the TM30 app. My understanding was that I just simply check myself in and out using TM30. Now, do I also need a TM28 to say that I have arrived in the condo that I own and then do a TM30 to say that I am checking myself in? Utter madness if this is the case. 

1 hour ago, BigBadGeordie said:

So as I understand this, I did a 90 day report yesterday (TM47), and I have gone to stay at my friends for the weekend I have to complete a TM28 and my friend has to complete a TM30 within 24 hours. 

On returning home on Monday I have to complete another TM28 and my wife has to complete another TM30 within 24 hours to say I have returned?

Madness!!

Only the TM 30 is required by owner.

If the owner not available to do that then the guest can do alone with TM28.

Only one required. NOT both.

59 minutes ago, lensta said:

I rent a house so how is the landlord supposed to know if I have been away or not.

You are right, and even more evident if the landlord lives abroad or far away.

However, the law is clear on this and it must be reported that a foreigner returned to his residence, failing to do so the owner of the property is eligible for a fine.

So if you have a foreigner staying in your premises, it is in everybody's interest that clear arrangements are made on this topic.

I agree that all this is very impractical and prone to errors/misunderstandings/confusion.

10 hours ago, legend49 said:

Compare the pair, Thailand and Russia. In Russia I have a 365 day business visa, my only requirement is on each 90th day I step in and out of the country. When I travel internally of Russia albeit, car, train, or fly there is a  seamless checking scan of my passport visa page by the FSB as well as asking where I am heading ( obviously flights they know where I am going). No useless paperwork, no lining up in many hours in queues, no fines, no aggressiveness.

I believe the 'monkeys' deal with a lot more rotten bananas here in Thailand including Russians..

This is getting more confusing as it goes on. Have to admit I'd never heard of TM28 till just now. I downloaded it from the link below. It refers to having to inform the local police within 24 hours; so does this means a trip to immigration AND a trip to the local police?

If immigration really wants to keep a track on every non-thai's movements every time they spend the night at a new location, they could make it easier on us and on immigration by making the place to report to the immigration office OR local police station. Immigration for me is one hour drive one way whereas the local police is 10 minutes.

https://immigrationbangkok.com/thailand-immigration-forms/

In the article it is not clearly stated that one is enough, hence the fuss.

Sent from my oppo f9 using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

No need the hotel inform them you stayed 'X' number of nights, so, unless the computer flags another holel afterwards they should assume you have returned home. but, running down and telling them you are home, makes their job easier. If they wanna see ya, they can phone or visit. But, you do it for them.

Yes, that would be the logical/sensible approach.  If you are not reported as having checked in into a Hotel, it should be assumed that you are at your home address.

Your landlord having to file a TM30 and yourself a TM28 on your return to your home address is utterly impractical for all parties.

And it only creates enormous amount of effort to comply with.

1 hour ago, paulbrow said:

I just got the TM30 squared away after 2 months. Now <deleted> is a TM28?

I heard about this a while ago, but it was not enforced. I think it's something we need to fill when we come back.
If I was thinking like an immigration official, I would track TM30 income stream, before enabling TM28. If people start to figure out to do TM30, then I'd randomly start to enforce TM28, and fine people 2,000 Baht if they did not know about it. That's the way they did for TM30. They started enforcing it around 2015/2016 here with little publicity, and .I had no problem renewing my one-year extension of stay (Thai wife) for 2 more years, and I only got fine when I asked for a proof of residency for my driving license.

More rubbish to make things even more complicated. And then of course every IO in every office will use his/her discretion to be as difficult as he feels like depending on what time he woke up, what he had for breakfast or maybe what colour shirt you have on.

The only way around this fiasco is to get rid of it.

Oh and for the apologists....yes I know I’m free to leave 

OK. Looks like we've all been looking in the wrong direction at the TM30, when most of us are not landlords. So presumably all the stuff about TM30 online is totally irrelevant to most of us as non-landlords.  I presume that this fabled website doesn't also enable online completion of TM28? I presume that would require a trip or two to Immigration (including one while I'm away to make that 24hr deadline????). Now as to the TM6 what would be its purpose if anyway we have to complete a TM28? 

As many have said, each office applies its own interpretation.

This announcement is from Phuket Immigration. This is the Phuket forum. The comments here should only relate to Phuket. There are a hundred other threads on this subject so may I respectfully suggest that those of you not based in Phuket make your comments in your own forum or in one of the general threads.

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

TM28 vs TM30, They are the same! On top of that, a TM47 is also required every 90 days.

Fun fact. Here in Hua Hin I was never asked for a TM 47 when I was going for the 90 Days Report with my non O Visa.

54 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

It would be important to have an official confirmation of the above

2 hours ago, smedly said:

all this has done is add more confusion

Maybe the Phuket and BKK Immigration offices ought to get on the same page themselves, before they start telling us what to do... Because, the interpretation being offered above out of Phuket is NOT the interpretation that BKK is using -- not even close!

Archived