Right on time: Phuket Immigration explain TM30 and TM28 requirements for reporting foreigners

rooster59

8 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

This is getting more confusing as it goes on. Have to admit I'd never heard of TM28 till just now. I downloaded it from the link below. It refers to having to inform the local police within 24 hours; so does this means a trip to immigration AND a trip to the local police?

If immigration really wants to keep a track on every non-thai's movements every time they spend the night at a new location, they could make it easier on us and on immigration by making the place to report to the immigration office OR local police station. Immigration for me is one hour drive one way whereas the local police is 10 minutes.

https://immigrationbangkok.com/thailand-immigration-forms/

Dude.  Immigration is the police.  I am not sure I remember correctly, but I think I read that if Imm is inconvenient, you have the option to report to your local cops.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

You went all the way to the immigration office to do this. Ok for you but I am not going to CW in BKK every time I travel. Simply will not do it and will not worry about it. I go to CW once a year for an extension of stay and that is all I am willing to do. I mail the 90 day report sometimes. I did put 800 k in a Thai bank. 

I really don’t care about doing anything else and if that means I don’t get an extension of stay this year then so be it. But to let this stuff upset you or cause  you to pat yourself on the back to me is funny. ????

For some nasty, greasy foreigners, being denied an extension of stay has more consequences than it apparently does for you.  That probably makes you smart for not getting yourself bogged down, but it doesn't change the fact that some people have more at stake and cannot just say "mai pen rai" and head off to greener pastures on short notice.

1 hour ago, rexall said:

You see, this is the rub. Although Col Nareuwat Putthawiro made it clear several times that the TM30 is the responsibility of the landlord/owner, not the greasy, nasty foreigner, there are scenarios were you get sucked into the process anyway. Being married to the owner is one.  The situation you describe is another; you would have to call your landlord (who may not speak English) and inform him or her of your return home. If you are being helpful, you probably also want to remind him or her that failure to file is punishable by death!  Unless the owner is on-the-ball with this kind of stuff, you may be better off just getting power of attorney and doing it yourself anyway ... especially as--in spite of what Col Putthawiro says--your local I/O may hold you responsible anyway!  

There's another way that works in several Immigration offices. You fill in the TM30 as the possessor of the condo/house if the rental contract is in your name. Then you report yourself. Did work for me. 

6 hours ago, OffshoreMig said:

Does this also apply to Tourists and business visa holders or just those who are long stay visa holders over 90Spelling days?  Can not the condo management do the TM30 reporting on behalf of the condo owner/investor?

Applies to all foreigners staying in Thailand ....

As has been pointed out before, this "staying with friends" business is bizarre and unenforceable. How is IO going to know you left your home and stayed with friends, and then returned home unless someone "rats out out," or by some weird fluke your friends get caught. That seems highly unlikely, and one the guy in the Korat IO said as much.  However, make no mistake, the intention of the law is that your friends report you as well as any Jews they happen to be hiding in the attic.  Sigh!
Even staying in hotels is unenforcble. I dont think(hope) they have a central database so a hotel owner will report you to one immigration office (eg Chantaburi) but your local office(eg Chonburi) will not get a report. It is only when you enter the country that it will show on your record.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Even staying in hotels is unenforcble. I dont think(hope) they have a central database so a hotel owner will report you to one immigration office (eg Chantaburi) but your local office(eg Chonburi) will not get a report. It is only when you enter the country that it will show on your record.

The online system isnt office specific and available for immigration anywhere. Thats how they know you haven't done a local TM30 report, the system shows you are still in another place.

21 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

So as I understand this, I did a 90 day report yesterday (TM47), and I have gone to stay at my friends for the weekend I have to complete a TM28 and my friend has to complete a TM30 within 24 hours. 

On returning home on Monday I have to complete another TM28 and my wife has to complete another TM30 within 24 hours to say I have returned?

Madness!!

yes but as if you will bother with that...

The online system isnt office specific and available for immigration anywhere. Thats how they know you haven't done a local TM30 report, the system shows you are still in another place.
If their computer system is so great why does it take weeks to get a password for their app?Allowing that their computer system is so organized to keep track of every tourist's movements they have a problem that hotels report someone arriving and not leaving. I could check in for 1 night then extend my stay. Or I could go to somewhere completely different and not report. I would still be registered at the 1st hotel. I don't think the hotels report every room night for every guest.

I will fly in next month to visit my wife in BKK for a few of day’s holiday and stay with my wife and need to go out of BKk to visit her father and I will lose a whole day traveling to immigration, waiting all day to process my TM30 and TM28 and then lose another day when I return from her fathers house which this poor old man has to report also. Wow my whole holiday has just been ruined.

27 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

If their computer system is so great why does it take weeks to get a password for their app?Allowing that their computer system is so organized to keep track of every tourist's movements they have a problem that hotels report someone arriving and not leaving. I could check in for 1 night then extend my stay. Or I could go to somewhere completely different and not report. I would still be registered at the 1st hotel. I don't think the hotels report every room night for every guest.

I think you will find humans hand out the passwords after checking documents, not the computer system. 

Any computer system/database will only have the latest data that has been entered, No data entered isnt a shortcoming of the computer system, it simply means no new data has been entered.

I rent though an estate agent , the ‘ owner ‘ is I understand an American , living in America, I’ve have no idea  who he is ,

when I signed my yearly ( 4 years now ) contract , they ‘ the estate agent sign on the owners behalf . 

I went to the estate agent to explain and to ask what I should do as I’m leaving the country to fly to the UK for 2 weeks . 

Their ‘ advice ‘  was firstly didn’t know what I was talking about and just to ignore it , and just to remind me that my 90 day report started again on my arrival 

????.  So my owner is going to get fined .. how ? 

Do I get fined on my visit to immigration doing my next 90 days ? 

8 minutes ago, Howiehotspur said:

I rent though an estate agent , the ‘ owner ‘ is I understand an American , living in America, I’ve have no idea  who he is ,

when I signed my yearly ( 4 years now ) contract , they ‘ the estate agent sign on the owners behalf . 

I went to the estate agent to explain and to ask what I should do as I’m leaving the country to fly to the UK for 2 weeks . 

Their ‘ advice ‘  was firstly didn’t know what I was talking about and just to ignore it , and just to remind me that my 90 day report started again on my arrival 

????.  So my owner is going to get fined .. how ? 

Do I get fined on my visit to immigration doing my next 90 days ? 

If you are following another post where it says the TM 30 is for the landlord you as the tenant TM 28 when you return to base I can imagine lots of the real estate agents having a lot of extra work to do, Im sure they would be liable on behalf of the owner as the would be classed as the possessor 

I think you will find humans hand out the passwords after checking documents, not the computer system. 
Any computer system/database will only have the latest data that has been entered, No data entered isnt a shortcoming of the computer system, it simply means no new data has been entered.

I think you will find humans process data.

19 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Jomtien immigration told me yesterday they are not interested in trips within Thailand. They did say if you leave Thailand and return they expect a new TM 30. Just for info. Not sure which office you do your immigration stuff at.

That’s exactly what my partner and I have been told by CM immigration. If I travel within Thailand they are not worried about us filling in any TMs. But if I leave Thailand,she will need to do a TM30 upon my return to our home. 

She has filled in the details to do this TM 30 online,but still waiting for a response from immigration. 

But please get the immigration website working,so it’s easy and efficient to use. 

19 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I think you will find humans process data.

Pretty sure thats what I said, the computer system isnt at fault, only immigration slow to hand out passwords or people not doing TM30 reports.

23 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

So as I understand this, I did a 90 day report yesterday (TM47), and I have gone to stay at my friends for the weekend I have to complete a TM28 and my friend has to complete a TM30 within 24 hours. 

On returning home on Monday I have to complete another TM28 and my wife has to complete another TM30 within 24 hours to say I have returned?

Madness!!

Why did you tell them you'd stayed elsewhere for just a few days. That's madness  ????

Pretty sure thats what I said, the computer system isnt at fault, only immigration slow to hand out passwords or people not doing TM30 reports.

The humans processing data are part of the system. They receive paper copies of tm30's and someone needs to put the data in the computer. If I go to one immigration and do a tm30 and then the next day go to another immigration to do another when I return home will I get fined because the 1st immigration is taking too long to process the TM30 I submitted. In theory I could tell the 2nd immigration I submitted at the 1st one and unless they physically contact them tjey cannot prove otherwise. As I said in my original post it is too hard for them to keep track of every tourist.

I really not find this about the reason for filling those papers when I go to another province logic. Ihave a friend living about 20 kilometers south of me, but we live in different provinces. So if I stay overnight Both he and me have to report. On the other hand, I have another friend that live about 80 kilometers from me, but in the same province. To his place I can go and stay for a month or more without reporting.  So when IO say that this is for knowing where we are, it is just BS And in the first case mentioned they would neighther know as I have allready moved when they get the documents.  

So we all know about the TM7, yes? and the TM47 - yes?

And now, the TM28 and TM30 - Which we thought we understood, but apparently didn't as of one year or so ago - but now we do really understand, because Pattaya Immigration have cleared it up for us, reminding us all that we always did understand the purpose of the two forms.

I wonder if there will be a need for us to complete: TM1 - TM6, TM8-TM27 and TM31 - TM46? Do we understand these forms? Does anyone know what they are? Will The Immigration Dept. discover yet another method of cash extraction?

Oh - and I almost forgot TM29...………. and live in hope that after TM47 - nothing further lies in wait to trap us all!

6 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Applies to all foreigners staying in Thailand ....

A tourist doesn't have to think about it, because he will (normally) leave before the visa expires,and the TM30 reports should by law be reported by hotels and guesthouses. If you never ever visit any Immigration office,don't think about it. Even if you rent a condo 30 days,the owner/landlord should report you. It's not your responsibility.

19 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

So we all know about the TM7, yes? and the TM47 - yes?

And now, the TM28 and TM30 - Which we thought we understood, but apparently didn't as of one year or so ago - but now we do really understand, because Pattaya Immigration have cleared it up for us, reminding us all that we always did understand the purpose of the two forms.

I wonder if there will be a need for us to complete: TM1 - TM6, TM8-TM27 and TM31 - TM46? Do we understand these forms? Does anyone know what they are? Will The Immigration Dept. discover yet another method of cash extraction?

Oh - and I almost forgot TM29...………. and live in hope that after TM47 - nothing further lies in wait to trap us all!

You will always have to fill in the TM6, otherwise you can't enter Thailand, TM7 is for any type of extension,so that one you also need to fill in (I have mine in my computer, filled in, and I only change the date before print out), the TM47 is supposed to be submitted only for the first 90 days report, and never again.

The explanation from Phuket Immigration about TM28 and TM30 is of no use, unless Immigration accepts the TM28 alone,submitted by the foreigner, and doesn't require the TM30,too,from the owner/housemaster/possessor.

The form for transfer stamps to a new passport is needed of course,if you stay long term. The rest of the forms are not used frequently if you already have for example a retirement visa. 

1 hour ago, Titan1962 said:

That’s exactly what my partner and I have been told by CM immigration. If I travel within Thailand they are not worried about us filling in any TMs. But if I leave Thailand,she will need to do a TM30 upon my return to our home. 

She has filled in the details to do this TM 30 online,but still waiting for a response from immigration. 

But please get the immigration website working,so it’s easy and efficient to use. 

I don't know if you are correct about CW immigration in BKK,unless you have heard something lately.There are many reports (including posts here) about CW requiring TM30 when coming back home from another province. CW immigration were the office which started to enforce the TM30 report early this year.

1 hour ago, Parsve said:

I really not find this about the reason for filling those papers when I go to another province logic. Ihave a friend living about 20 kilometers south of me, but we live in different provinces. So if I stay overnight Both he and me have to report. On the other hand, I have another friend that live about 80 kilometers from me, but in the same province. To his place I can go and stay for a month or more without reporting.  So when IO say that this is for knowing where we are, it is just BS And in the first case mentioned they would neighther know as I have allready moved when they get the documents.  

If you are staying at your friends house or vice versa,why even bother to report it? No one knows about it.

Just don't bother. I don't think Immigration has spies in your neighborhood. 

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

The humans processing data are part of the system. They receive paper copies of tm30's and someone needs to put the data in the computer. If I go to one immigration and do a tm30 and then the next day go to another immigration to do another when I return home will I get fined because the 1st immigration is taking too long to process the TM30 I submitted. In theory I could tell the 2nd immigration I submitted at the 1st one and unless they physically contact them tjey cannot prove otherwise. As I said in my original post it is too hard for them to keep track of every tourist.

Why would you submit the first TM30 in the first place? Wherever you go, the place where you're staying are required to submit the TM30,not you,ever. If you are a tourist you are never ever supposed to submit a TM30 anywhere. If you are an expat you might have to submit the TM30 when coming back home from another province. It depends on the Immigration office. Immigration doesn't try to keep track on every tourist, but wants to, for some reason, know where foreigners are. If you are a tourist don't ever think about the TM30. It's not your responsibility.

Archived