Right on time: Phuket Immigration explain TM30 and TM28 requirements for reporting foreigners

rooster59

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

If you are following another post where it says the TM 30 is for the landlord you as the tenant TM 28 when you return to base I can imagine lots of the real estate agents having a lot of extra work to do, Im sure they would be liable on behalf of the owner as the would be classed as the possessor 

The estate agents are not required by law to submit the TM30 instead of the owner,unless the owner made an agreement with them on paper. They are just agents. It's possible in several provinces to self report the TM30 as the possessor if the rental contract is in your name. Then you just report yourself,and you will get a receipt which you keep in your passport.

3 hours ago, thaipod said:

I will fly in next month to visit my wife in BKK for a few of day’s holiday and stay with my wife and need to go out of BKk to visit her father and I will lose a whole day traveling to immigration, waiting all day to process my TM30 and TM28 and then lose another day when I return from her fathers house which this poor old man has to report also. Wow my whole holiday has just been ruined.

Why even bother to submit the report when staying within the family?? Don't bother,there won't be any Immigration spies around. No one knows you're staying there. You think to much about rules and regulations. It would be another story if you stayed in a hotel and then got reported. Then you "might" have to report to your local Immigration when you come back home. 

we went to Phuket yesterday to pick up some things and stayed overnight due to the heavy rain and too many idiots on the road then returning this morning, as we didnt stay away from our house for 24 hours we should not have to submit either forms going by the law as it is written, guess I will find out next week when I do my 90 day report.

22 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why even bother to submit the report when staying within the family?? Don't bother,there won't be any Immigration spies around. No one knows you're staying there. You think to much about rules and regulations. It would be another story if you stayed in a hotel and then got reported. Then you "might" have to report to your local Immigration when you come back home. 

More than likely no immigration spies.

A few weeks back when an IO came to visit us to confirm our address as part of my Non O marriage extension application, we all ended up going to the Pu-yai Ban's house. The IO just wanted the Pu-yai Ban to confirm he knew me, not a problem.

While we were there, the two of them (IO & P-Y B) went off at a tangent about a lot of foreign workers (Burmese) who were around the area.

Now the IO is a nice guy, but very straight regarding regulations. He told the P-Y B matter-of-factly that it was his responsibility to report to immigration any foreigners in his jurisdiction. Even gave the P-Y B his card with his number on it, if he had a queries about anything.

So you never know...

5 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Even staying in hotels is unenforcble. I dont think(hope) they have a central database so a hotel owner will report you to one immigration office (eg Chantaburi) but your local office(eg Chonburi) will not get a report. It is only when you enter the country that it will show on your record.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you're staying at a proper hotel in a major city or tourist place,the hotel will report you. Many smaller hotels or guesthouses are not licensed. If the hotel or guesthouse asks for your passport, then they will report you. If not,they have no intention what so ever to report you. Then you never left the last reported address. If you stay in for example Pattaya/Jomtien, and have a reported address, and take a short trip outside Chonburi, you don't need to submit a new TM30 when coming back home. Just do the next 90 days report. Other provinces might not allow this. Some do. 

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

A few weeks back when an IO came to visit us to confirm our address as part of my Non O marriage extension application, we all ended up going to the Pu-yai Ban's house. The IO just wanted the Pu-yai Ban to confirm he knew me, not a problem.

While we were there, the two of them (IO & P-Y B) went off at a tangent about a lot of foreign workers (Burmese) who were around the area.

Now the IO is a nice guy, but very straight regarding regulations. He told the P-Y B matter-of-factly that it was his responsibility to report to immigration any foreigners in his jurisdiction. Even gave the P-Y B his card with his number on it, if he had a queries about anything.

So you never know...

But in this case it was about a marriage visa,and Immigration officers often visit families to check if everything is ok. They don't just knock on doors out in the sticks and checks out TM30 reports. 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:
21 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

So you never know...

But in this case it was about a marriage visa,and Immigration officers often visit families to check if everything is ok. They don't just knock on doors out in the sticks and checks out TM30 reports

It was the purpose of the visit, yes.

Read the text above I've now highlighted.

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It was the purpose of the visit, yes.

Read the text above I've now highlighted.

"A few weeks back when an IO came to visit us to confirm our address as part of my Non O marriage extension application"

As part of my Non O marriage extension application.

I repeat,it would never have happened if it wasn't for the marriage visa. 

Do you get it? 

Why would you submit the first TM30 in the first place? Wherever you go, the place where you're staying are required to submit the TM30,not you,ever. If you are a tourist you are never ever supposed to submit a TM30 anywhere. If you are an expat you might have to submit the TM30 when coming back home from another province. It depends on the Immigration office. Immigration doesn't try to keep track on every tourist, but wants to, for some reason, know where foreigners are. If you are a tourist don't ever think about the TM30. It's not your responsibility.
If you read the earlier threads I was talking about flaws in the system. They want to track everyone but it is not feasible.

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

They have been asking the postman where baan farang

Well,there are 77 provinces in a country with about 67 million people,you tell me how often Immigration police checks out TM30 report "violences"? And even if they ask for you, you are allowed to travel within the province. IF, you decided to visit a friend in another province without reporting it, the Immigration police will automatically knock on your door?

Then you are the most unlucky person in Thailand.  

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"A few weeks back when an IO came to visit us to confirm our address as part of my Non O marriage extension application"

As part of my Non O marriage extension application.

I repeat,it would never have happened if it wasn't for the marriage visa. 

Do you get it?

You can't repeat it, as you didn't say that in your first reply to my post. You said it was about a 'marriage visa'.

You didn't say 'it wouldn't have happened' if it wasn't for my extension application.

Anyway, you seem remarkably well informed about what our P-Y B was already aware of, irrespective of the discussion he had with the IO anyway.

They don't want to track everyone,just long stayers incl. people here on business. They don't care about tourists. 
Yes. You obviously have not read the other person's posts.He seems to think that immigration has a central database which will be able to keep track of everyone but I do not think that is the case. Every province is independent. I was saying even if they did have a central database it would not work because it would rely on human input. There does seem to be alot of confusion in this thread about whether people need to submit after a short stay in another province,even if less than 24 hours. Naturally anybody posting in this thread would not be a tourist staying in a hotel.

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

You can't repeat it, as you didn't say that in your first reply to my post. You said it was about a 'marriage visa'.

You didn't say 'it wouldn't have happened' if it wasn't for my extension application.

Anyway, you seem remarkably well informed about what our P-Y B was already aware of, irrespective of the discussion he had with the IO anyway.

I am just saying that Immigration officers often visit people during marriage visa applications. There are so many fake marriages,and normally Immigration informs you that they might visit you. Sometimes they even talk to neighbours to check out if the marriage is kosher. I have been here a long time and have married friends, so, yes, I think I know how it works in Thailand, and in some provinces they are a bit more relaxed,in others not. Go figure. 

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

Yes. You obviously have not read the other person's posts.He seems to think that immigration has a central database which will be able to keep track of everyone but I do not think that is the case. Every province is independent. I was saying even if they did have a central database it would not work because it would rely on human input. There does seem to be alot of confusion in this thread about whether people need to submit after a short stay in another province,even if less than 24 hours. Naturally anybody posting in this thread would not be a tourist staying in a hotel.

As far as I know it is a central data base ... when I input our guests details for TM30 it's a central website. 

1 minute ago, LivinginKata said:

As far as I know it is a central data base ... when I input our guests details for TM30 it's a central website. 

Didn't I read a post on TV somewhere in the past few days about someone saying he went into immigration for something, and they picked up on the fact he hadn't re-registered his TM 30 with them after he had been away for a few days?

IIRC, he said the IO turned the screen around to show him two hotels in other provinces which had registered him staying there.

4 minutes ago, bt2017 said:

Please clarify for me I thought a TM 28 was only needed when you moved your permanent residence now it seems to be that its required even when returning to your residence from a trip to another province? Confused!!!

Must be when there's an 'r' in the month.

That happened to me at Udon immigration last year, after returning from Laos, and after staying in a couple of guest houses which didn't ask for any personal details.

Being untrusting, I took a completed TM28 and TM30 with me just in case. On that particular day the IO looked at my TM30 and said I needed to come back with a TM28 - as well. I took it out of my folder and he processed them both, seeming surprised I had all the paperwork.

20 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

If it wasn't a central data base,how would Immigration in a province be able to see an expat being reported staying in a hotel in lets say BKK? 

19 minutes ago, bt2017 said:

Please clarify for me I thought a TM 28 was only needed when you moved your permanent residence now it seems to be that its required even when returning to your residence from a trip to another province? Confused!!!

That's what I have been told about how to use the TM28. Only when moving permanently from one province to another, and also submit the TM30 in the new local Immigration office.

If it wasn't a central data base,how would Immigration in a province be able to see an expat being reported staying in a hotel in lets say BKK? 
That is what I am trying to work out. Do they actually know nationwide or when people report or are reported is it just for that province? I know last year theTM30 desk did not have a computer and there seemed a consensus on TV that there was no linked database. When I went last month she did have a computer but don't know how much info she had?

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Must be when there's an 'r' in the month.

That happened to me at Udon immigration last year, after returning from Laos, and after staying in a couple of guest houses which didn't ask for any personal details.

Being untrusting, I took a completed TM28 and TM30 with me just in case. On that particular day the IO looked at my TM30 and said I needed to come back with a TM28 - as well. I took it out of my folder and he processed them both, seeming surprised I had all the paperwork.

Immigration offices in some provinces doesn't have a clue. Coming back from Laos to same address in Thailand isn't a "Change of Address" in my book. That's what the TM28 is for. In Chonburi you'll only have to submit the TM30.

1 minute ago, Wongkitlo said:

That is what I am trying to work out. Do they actually know nationwide or when people report or are reported is it just for that province? I know last year theTM30 desk did not have a computer and there seemed a consensus on TV that there was no linked database. When I went last month she did have a computer but don't know how much info she had?

Where are you staying? In my local Immigration office they have had computers for TM30 for years. Of course there's a central database.

And the 90 days report desk has the same info. 

40 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Didn't I read a post on TV somewhere in the past few days about someone saying he went into immigration for something, and they picked up on the fact he hadn't re-registered his TM 30 with them after he had been away for a few days?

IIRC, he said the IO turned the screen around to show him two hotels in other provinces which had registered him staying there.

That's the way it's supposed to work. Otherwise the TM30 reporting would be useless. That's why you shouldn't be able to do a 90 days report if the last reported address doesn't match with your address. That's what the 90 days report is all about. 

16 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Good point .... the Thai Immigration software system was down for about 6 months duration about 18 months ago. We could not enter guest information during that time. 

23 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Immigration offices in some provinces doesn't have a clue. Coming back from Laos to same address in Thailand isn't a "Change of Address" in my book. That's what the TM28 is for. In Chonburi you'll only have to submit the TM30.

I agree that's what the TM 28 says it's for. I just find it safer to believe no one in immigration and take as much paperwork as I possibly can to avoid a wasted trip.

I posted on another topic that two IO's in the same immigration office gave three different answers to one question on two separate days.

Archived