BANGKOK
rooster59

Right on time: Phuket Immigration explain TM30 and TM28 requirements for reporting foreigners

I really don't know what all this fuss is about if you have a responsible landlord. In our case we have coached all our long stay tenant to send a message via some sort of social media that they have been away and are back. We just register them again, take screen shot, and sent back to them, Immigration will accept these screen shot on mobile device. 

If you don't have responsible land lord then you need to DIY the TM28 at immigration office.

2 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

The biggest problem is the phrase "up to the discretion of each imm. officer".  It is fine to say this is the way it is in Phuket but what about Nakhon Nowhere or Chang Pie??  Every office and officer has his own ideas.  We rang our IMM Office a few weeks ago and were told mai pen rai about completing the TM30 form.  As I had nothing to that effect in writing to protect ourselves we made the long trip to our office only to find it was half full of people also lodging the TM30 who also didnt believe the officer.

... :cheesy: x 10 ... hilarious!

So, after all the talk etc of the past few weeks nothing has changed...err, is that right?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

In the first place your landlord must register you. If landlord does nt then you are illegally in Thailand.

In the second place how do you manage 90 days. Tourist visa for 60 day then you need go immigration for 30 day extension.

Longer extensions need Immigration approval. 

Firstly, you are not illegal in Thailand if your landlord fails to submit a TM30. Your landlord has failed to submit a form and should be fined, in this case it's my MIL 😜

Secondly, I'm on a Non Imm O multi entry visa, so I can stay for 90 days each entry for a year, which actually gives me nearly 15 months which I can push out to 17 with a 60 day extension on the last entry...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Firstly, you are not illegal in Thailand if your landlord fails to submit a TM30. Your landlord has failed to submit a form and should be fined, in this case it's my MIL 😜

Secondly, I'm on a Non Imm O multi entry visa, so I can stay for 90 days each entry for a year, which actually gives me nearly 15 months which I can push out to 17 with a 60 day extension on the last entry...

Ah ... but how you get 60 day extension if you not registered on immigration computer data base ? They carefully check computer (actually there is a young high tech person in each office area) that goes into the data base with you passport details.  No registration you will be fined 2,000 baht on the spot. 

For sure any Land Lord not complying with registration should be fined. However I would expect (??) the 'guest' to be considered illegally in Thailand.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

So, after all the talk etc of the past few weeks nothing has changed...err, is that right?

Just been rigorously enforced, at least here in Phuket last few months  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

No registration you will be fined 2,000 baht on the spot. 

I am registered on their system... Haven't been in for a 60 day extension though for a few years now as my work schedule didn't coincide with the end of my visa, so had to get new visa back in U.K while on hols 🥴

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

yes that about sums it up, it is the most ridiculous cluster F I have ever experienced - you want to enjoy a weekend away from your permanent residence you will spend most of that time filling in forms, so you go to Bangkok for one night, you spend all day in traffic trying to find immigration stand in a queue for hours and file a TM28 - then do it all again if you go somewhere else, next you'll need a (deleted)ing work permit for the time you spent completing all of this

The funny thing is that it 'can be done by mail' and it will get processed in a week or so... so you could be filling in forms on return before original processed. 

Just allow people to register 'permanent addresses' with a phone number... and by default if no form is filled in by a hotel you may be found at one of your 'permanent addresses'. 

Tm 28 has been all the time for the foreigner unless the foreigner is also the landlord. Then has to full out the tm 30 as well.

This is written down many times. 

When your read all the tooics about the tm30 for some reason unknown it seems to be the well educated welthy foreinger they left the ability of reading back home.

Tm 28 all i needed since 2000

I thought that a TM28 was to notify of change of address.. Is this an incorrect assumption?? 

• Like 2

I could understand something like this in some countries like, oh say, Somalia or something for the sake of knowing the foreigner wasn't kidnapped.  Or beheaded in Mexico or something.  For safety of the foreigner in a very dangerous country, maybe.  What is the point of this in Thailand?  I know they labeled it in national security, but come on!  I have been to several dozens of countries.  Never once been questioned, never asked to show money or funds, nothing...except for xenophobic Thailand.  Ever had an IO look suspiciously at me or my passport.  At most filling out an application and providing a photo.  I'm in Schengen now.  No visa and they don't even check my passport moving from country to country.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, owenm said:

I thought that a TM28 was to notify of change of address.. Is this an incorrect assumption?? 

no and only needed if you're doing a 90 day report away from home( in my case)

Done this many times as a condo owner when I was away from home and staying in a pattaya hotel . But the last 2 times when doing a 90 day report at Pataya both the girl at the front desk andf the IO specifically said no need for tm28 anymore. 

Edited by madmen
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vacuum said:

TM28 vs TM30, They are the same! On top of that, a TM47 is also required every 90 days.

TM47 is only for the first 90 days report. At least in Jomtien Immigration. After that just the passport with the slip inside is needed. The IO just replaces the old slip with the new. It's done in 1,5 min. 

7 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

So as I understand this, I did a 90 day report yesterday (TM47), and I have gone to stay at my friends for the weekend I have to complete a TM28 and my friend has to complete a TM30 within 24 hours. 

On returning home on Monday I have to complete another TM28 and my wife has to complete another TM30 within 24 hours to say I have returned?

Madness!!

Only if you did 

• Haha 1