BANGKOK
Crossy

How about a solar car port on a budget?

27 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

Do you run any air conditioning during the late afternoon?

At present, no. But I see where you are coming from.

I have ordered (it's not arrived yet) the wireless modem that goes with the inverters. I'm hoping to control the export level from my Arduino based power monitoring system https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1022293-new-year-project-power-quality-logger/

Someone has already developed a program using Node Red IOT software https://github.com/invite-frey/wvc-inverter which I could possibly adapt parts of to run on the Arduino, it only needs to control the output level of the beasties.

• Like 1

Little sketch off how it going to connect up be nice,,how s it connect to main electrics system??

So your cu is dual feed and box of electronics in inverter stops the panels getting fried...ie the juice can only flow one way...didint realise you can set it up this way👍

Edited by taninthai

I've hooked up the inverters temporarily to check it's all working, then the heavens opened!

More photos tomorrow after work.

And I look like a ruddy lobster, well toasted 😞

• Like 2

And I look like a ruddy lobster, well toasted 

Lots of free vitamin D
rub some "harng jorakea" AkA aloe Vera on the burnt bits.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, johng said:

Imagine how much power would be produced if every roof top in Thailand was covered in solar panels..they would (probably) not have to import any electric from neighbouring countries and save billions on gas and oil.

The problem with renewables, and solar in partcular, is that they are often at maximum production when the load is at a minimum and at zero production (at night) when the load is, if not maximum, certainly significant. So either there needs to be conventional backup (which doesn't start quickly and so needs to run inefficiently at small loads during the day) or we need a LOT of storage (a ruddy big battery).

Another issue (which may have had a part in the recent UK blackout) is the question of grid inertia. Without the huge flywheel effect of conventional generation (large rotating masses) the grid frequency can vary rapidly and possibly uncontrollably causing renewables (inverter based systems) to drop off-line when they can't follow the variations, reducing the available supply, causing greater frequency instability, causing more renewables to go off-line, causing greater frequency instability ...

• Like 2