How about a solar car port on a budget?

• 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My 5 panels produced 141 units, and I bought another 172 in December.

I'd buy another 2 panels if the price hadn't gone up so much.

Yeah, it was pure luck I got my extra dozen panels just before that price hike.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I think you need more roof ... ????

There's room for another 6 panels close to the camera, but they would be shaded later in the day and with the current high prices it's not worth adding them. Maybe next year ???? 

The smaller (150W) panel bottom right is for 4 x 10W floodlights on the back of the house.

On 12/1/2021 at 2:13 PM, 007 RED said:

20211003_102000.jpg.395e1b2772ab6db4a65e885248907e2b.jpg

My 4 panel system has now been running on our car port roof for just over a month and has managed to produce 157kWh during November, despite rain and clouds most days during the month.   Nice to see the disc going clockwise occasionally, so I'm happy with this and looking forward to seeing a reduction in our bill on or about the 16th.

Untitled.jpg.729698a2f1f9ecccc897ecb9f937901f.jpg

G'day Red  -  very interesting indeed.  Appreciate details of:

*  what is the output/wattage of each panel?

*  what was the total cost for your system - and the individual costs for (a) each of the solar panels; (b) each inverter (how many and what size each); (c) sundries?

*  was it a DIY job or did you have it installed?  If the latter, what was the cost?

*  did you buy the major items locally, or via the likes of Lazada?

*  where are you located

Thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 007 RED said:

No problem....  My small scale solar system was a DIY job from beginning to end, with a lot of support from various forum members.

Panels = 4 off x Sunpal 415W mono half-cut panels.  Cost at time of purchase was 4K THB each (inc delivery), but better half managed to negotiate a discount which brought price down to 3.8K THB each.  Purchased from local shop.  FYI... according to recent reports on this forum the cost of solar panels has gone up quite considerably for some unknown reason.

Inverter = 1 off x Sofar 2200TL-G3 (Note: this is a GTI).  Cost 10K THB (inc delivery).  Purchased online directly with shop who included a CT (FOC) as it's not supplied with the inverter.

Mounting brackets:  20 off, 1.2mm thick stainless steel made by local 'tinsmith' from off cuts @ 50 THB each.

Ancillaries:  Isolator boxes (appropriate circuit breaker + surge arrestor), cable, MC4 plugs all ordered online via Shoppe.

Total cost = approximately 28K THB.

Based upon the past 3 months, the system is producing approximately 7 units per day and is achieving my original 'goal' of reducing my electricity bill by 75%.  All being well at this rate it should 'pay back' in about 3 years.

Hope this helps.

Great - thanks RED - certainly does help.  My aims are likewise modest - a similar setup will be the go for me.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

@dinga you also need to determine what type of meter you have (can it go backwards) because that will determine if you need local storage for excess power (=$$$).

EDIT I'm assuming here that you don't want to go with the feed-in system.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Those cable glands look like the plastic variety to me.

I recently spent half a day replacing all mine (24 ☹️) with plated brass ones because the plastic disintegrates over the course a few years, even in the shade.

Painting them with acrylic paint can stretch their life somewhat but brass ones are indeed the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Those cable glands look like the plastic variety to me.

I recently spent half a day replacing all mine (24 ☹️) with plated brass ones because the plastic disintegrates over the course a few years, even in the shade.

Pictures please??

5 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I'm guessing you would like to see a picture of the knackered plastic glands. Unfortunately they were all discarded about three months ago after the job was done.

U got piccies of the nice brass ones?? Source?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I cheated by running the cables round the edge of our car-port roof

Since when has that been cheating. TiT

Bearing in mind a bit of vibrational chafing from wind and earthquakes it should be ok.

Mine are feeding the cables through the side of the IP68 (I think) steel boxes of the combiners.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I'm guessing you would like to see a picture of the knackered plastic glands. Unfortunately they were all discarded about three months ago after the job was done.

555555 No the Brass ones. But I already see you posted them ????

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...