How about a solar car port on a budget?

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

If the good weather continues, I'll have to turn off export earlier than usual.

I'm not quite in the same 'boat'.  Since the meter was read 14 days ago my small scale system has been satisfying most of our daytime needs, resulting in us only needing to purchase 13 units.

I checked the panels yesterday and, as can be seen from the photo below, they are 'caked in dust' which must have a degrading effect on their efficiency, so I  early this morning it was up on the car port roof with the hose and soft brush.  They looked brand new when I finished.  I'm not sure if there will be any significant improvement in output as its difficult to measure with so many variable.

20230101_141343.jpg.a7ffd374a2efbbfb01a258007537bf1f.jpg

That said, if the weather remains the same until the next meter reading in 13 days, we'll have an extremely small bill, possibly the lowest since the system has been in operation.

Edited by 007 RED
Typo
  • Like 1

We use the hose and the nylon pool brush (it has a telescopic handle). 

It's also worth doing early in the morning when any dew is still on the panels to soften the dirt.

Our panels are nowhere near as mucky as @007 RED ones, but they do need a clean.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just looked at my panels again this morning - less than 24 hours after I cleaned them - and already there is a fine layer of dust on them.  It looks like I may have to do them again next week. 

The culprit is the pollution hanging over us because of the cold layer in the upper atmosphere.  My little PM2.5  meter is almost off the scale, as shown below.  (photo taken 3/1/23 @ 9:51 am)

20230103_095207.thumb.jpg.653a3c81cb7d80e6f93b5ec4dd637639.jpg

My problem is getting up onto the car port roof (approx. 4 meters above the ground).  At 76 YO, falling through the cement roof tiles is going to mean a very expensive hospital bill, or possibly a cheaper trip to the local temple ????.

• Haha 1

We pay a man (you don't think I clean our panels do you), it's actually the same chap who cuts the grass etc.

Should be plenty of locals who will push the mud around for a nominal fee.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, MJCM said:

Re: Cleaning Panels

We (I) have to do that almost every single day, why? birds ????. They use the panel edges as their toilets, and if you don't clean it often it will be difficult to remove.

One solution:

image.png.656178b3424b365ead95106672457e6c.png

They will have to find a toilet somewhere else...

12 hours ago, Encid said:

One solution:

image.png.656178b3424b365ead95106672457e6c.png

They will have to find a toilet somewhere else...

We have similar to these on a fence, does the trick.

I also bought some big black Crows, silly me, as I wasn't allowed to put them up. ????

20230104_065708.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:09 AM, 007 RED said:

The thought of getting a 'local' to clean them every so often had crossed my mind, but again, who is responsible if they fall off?

My better half has suggested getting someone to construct a 'walk-way' on the car port roof, similar to yours, which would avoid the risk of slipping on the incline.  Good idea ????.  I think that may be a project for later in the year.

In the short term I'm seriously considering getting an electric solar panel brush system, as shown below.

43200816_ElectricSolarPanelBrush.jpg.4d51005faaff81f40fb4e85120d7aff7.jpg

The motor is 24V (AC-DCconverter supplied), 300RPM. Water supply is connected to nearby tap in garden.  Handle extendable from 2M to 7M.

With this I can reach all of the panels comfortably from a step ladder.

Cost about 10K, which is a lot cheaper than the hospital bills might be if I came a cropper.

This actually looks exactly the same as this.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/automatic-rotating-brush-for-high-pressure-washer-window-glass-cleaning-brush-car-cleaning-tools-i3729268272.html?spm

And this is actually already expensive . All you need is a pressure washer , long hose and some long steel .

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lutian-yili-bosch-i2553656068-s10478565270.html?

I actually used 1 of those , the inner brush spins thx to water pressure . It does not have the fancy premium "solar panel cleaning" name on it , as it is purpose is cleaning cars .

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I checked our PEA meter last evening when Madam was showing me where PWA want to dig up part of our driveway to access a leak, she's miffed that they want to move part of her hedge.

We are -38kWh since the man came on the 19th of January, oops. :whistling:

He will come again on the 16th of February so we are now in no-export mode. If I have to, I'll kill the solar completely for a couple of days (we use a total of about 30kWh per day).

I blame the nice sunny weather and cool night-time temperatures (no A/C in the bedroom).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Here we go with the February numbers.

Definitely a month of two halves. Lowest production was 8.9kWh on the 15th, best was a dead heat at 40.9kWh on the 25th and 26th. 

are the low numbers on the 15th. and 16th. because of your "PEA reading days"?

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 3:23 AM, TronxII said:

Did you already get your quality LiFePo4 from China ? I remember you wanted to order some in November or December.

Right now, things are on hold due to financial circumstances (waiting to sort out a new contract). Watch this space ???? 

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Ouch!!

Accident or surgery or both??

Revision TKR unfortunately. 

Hope they got it right this time. Seems there's a few mm difference between a good replacement and a bad replacement.

• Thanks 1