How about a solar car port on a budget?

23 minutes ago, Sophon said:

There is definitely some catching up on discounts for previous months going on. This is our bill for April-May delivered an hour ago:

IMG_20230519_104852.thumb.jpg.df1e3554b8ec62934915c35058fa740c.jpg

According to the PEA online calculator, the bill should have been for THB 48.60.

Just a guess, but I think that maybe the discounts quoted "4.49/40.93", means that I got a discount for this month of THB 4.49 and THB 40.93 for previous month(s). THB 4.49 for this month seems about right, seeing that the FT charge is 4.56.

Be careful chaps. Bought 8 panels at DoHome 47v ended up being more like 41v. Had to add more panels for hivolt inverter. It seems as though governments are leaving BS alone in leaving manufacturers to lie about there products. Soon 1kg of pork at big C will be 800 grams of whatever. Also I found the Thai supply of 220 V can be a bit lower and also many blackouts which may help you decide on the type of system you go for.

On 5/28/2023 at 2:58 PM, BritManToo said:

And me .........

IMG_20230527_120240.jpg

I reckon you are receiving a government discount due to low consumption.

I've got a couple of condos that I visit through the week, use the swimming pool and gym. I only use the AC for a short while I shower, have a coffee etc.

My monthly bills are very low but last month and a few months earlier this year I got big discounts.

I assume the are looking after the poor.

Sadly I'm still paying several thousand baht a month for my house, no discount.

IMG_20230530_170708.jpg

Edited by Cricky
  • Like 1

Just finished a non battery solar install. Two tips. Check your panels before you buy. Fake specs being used on everything these days. I got 48voc panels that worked more  like 41 voc panels. 

And also check the house power for quality as if needed to be good for inverter hybrid setup it could cause problems if low voltage. I suspect maybe because people are tapping in illegally to the line. Apparently a problem in India. If that's the case go complete battery.

So, only approx BHT2500 short of break even on my DIY car port solar, i have received the dreaded letter from MEA to shut down my 'installation' with threat of meter change (not a problem) or be cut off....yikes 

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sidgy said:

So, only approx BHT2500 short of break even on my DIY car port solar, i have received the dreaded letter from MEA to shut down my 'installation' with threat of meter change (not a problem) or be cut off....yikes 

Electric companies hate solar. When you installed it you should have hidden it under a big blanket so they couldn't see it.

13 hours ago, sidgy said:

What is the reason that you have to shut down your Solar, DIY?

On 5/28/2023 at 2:58 PM, BritManToo said:

And me .........

IMG_20230527_120240.jpg

And me ...  apparently, we're too poor to pay.   Although we have 30amp service, so shouldn't qualify.   Last time they stated no payment needed, that adjusted it.   Guess in a month or 3, they'll realize yet another oops and tally up the months and bill us.

Strange, use no units, and have to pay the conx fee.  Same last month, minimal use, but billed.   This month more used, and 0.00 due .

Not complaining, just an observation ????

Better start saving for when that big one comes.

image.png.ff71e84d1e83f8e03a019eae669c655d.png

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, sidgy said:

It would be very interesting to know how you got "caught" by MEA.

I am wondering if MEA and PEA are taking a keen interest in this forum.

Also there are quite likely a few jealous non solar users living nearby who would think nothing of reporting farang solar activity, legal or otherwise, to their local  electricity company.

This may be why I'm seeing an upsurge of anti meter reversal activity being reported on here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, sidgy said:

Ooh chips! How did they found out? They saw the meter spinning backwards?

We are away for a extended period and our system is turned off for that same reason (don’t want them to see the meter spinning backwards). 

17 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

am wondering if MEA and PEA are taking a keen interest in this forum.

Also there are quite likely a few jealous non solar users living nearby who would think nothing of reporting farang solar activity, legal or otherwise, to their local  electricity company.

More likely the PEA itself noticing the meter spinning backwards. In our area they often (2-3 times a year) come by to cut down the trees that can cause damage to the power lines. They came by last week but no issues for us as we are away and the installation is shut down during the period we are away. 

our install is not visible from the road and also no neighbors can see it. 

17 hours ago, Cricky said:

I assume the are looking after the poor.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And me ...  apparently, we're too poor to pay.   Although we have 30amp service, so shouldn't qualify.   

I was generalizing, not referring to every members pricing structure, no need to be hostile, I'm only trying to help.

My comment was not meant to offend, sorry if you are having a bad day.

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

More likely the PEA itself noticing the meter spinning backwards. In our area they often (2-3 times a year) come by to cut down the trees that can cause damage to the power lines. They came by last week but no issues for us as we are away and the installation is shut down during the period we are away. 

our install is not visible from the road and also no neighbors can see it. 

They simply asked us, when installing the new meter (new house build), and may be a 'standard' question.   Irrelevant, as we were getting a digital meter no matter, as all new meters in our area are.  

8 new houses on the grid across the main village road, all digital meters.   You can't see our panels at all, from any ground angle.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Although we have 30amp service, so shouldn't qualify. 

In our old house we have 30/100 supply and we get discounts all the time. (Low usage, last months bill 30 units used 0 THB to pay)

AFAIK it has to do with usage. Above 500 units used no discount or only a wee bit. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

In our old house we have 30/100 supply and we get discounts all the time. (Low usage, last months bill 30 units used 0 THB to pay)

AFAIK it has to do with usage. Above 500 units used no discount or only a wee bit. 

Thanks, that's good to know, as during rainy season, if a few krap days in a row, may need to charge the car on the grid.  Not that 1 or 200 baht a month is going to break the bank ????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Thanks, that's good to know, as during rainy season, if a few krap days in a row, may need to charge the car on the grid.  Not that 1 or 200 baht a month is going to break the bank ????

Cheaper than buying petrol or diesel that's for sure.

Have you done a cost comparison with different fuels ie PEA electricity V petrol?

6 hours ago, Cricky said:

I was generalizing, not referring to every members pricing structure, no need to be hostile, I'm only trying to help.

My comment was not meant to offend, sorry if you are having a bad day.

Don't be sorry mate. People give each other a hard time on here everyday. Haha. It's all good fun

• Thumbs Up 1